Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2023 10:58:02 PM EDT
So I broke down and bought a Yong Heng off of Amazon and a little DOT approved 1.6 liter carbon fiber tank. Well added a media dryer and played with it today. So far it’s kinda impressed me. Filled the small backpack tank in ten minutes. And I got the pyramid air notification that the 74 cu tanks are back in stock. I think I’m definitely gonna mount it on a small welding cart.
1.6 liter tank
Only thing I don’t like is the fill hose is short. I think I’m gonna replace it with a bit longer one. My wife allowed this is much nicer than the hand pump.??
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 11:30:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArimoDave] [#1]
It is nice having a compressor.  However, I went a bit overboard when I bought mine.  I also found out that Daystate's new 110 V compressor has improvements over my model.  It takes less amperage to start, and run and can now use a 15 amp breaker.  Mine might still blow the 20 amp on first start-up after sitting a couple of months.

But, I just bought a new PCP that will probably have me filling my SCBA bottle more often.  I'll likely make a thread later after I get the tuning finalized, and scope sorted out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ArimoDave:
It is nice having a compressor.  However, I went a bit overboard when I bought mine.  I also found out that Daystate's new 110 V compressor has improvements over my model.  It takes less amperage to start, and run and can now use a 15 amp breaker.  Mine might still blow the 20 amp on first start-up after sitting a couple of months.

But, I just bought a new PCP that will probably have me filling my SCBA bottle more often.  I'll likely make a thread later after I get the tuning finalized, and scope sorted out.
View Quote

Yeah the Yong Heng will flip a 15 amp breaker. I wish they offered a 220 version on Amazon. I wanted a Daystate but each one of my four cabbed tractors took turns breaking down. I figure this will work until things decide to quit going to the shop. Then I can get something else and give the little guy to my SIL.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 10:33:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rrbgeb] [#3]
Just topped off the rifles (easily less than 3 mins each) and filled a couple of SCBA air packs (sketchy process) with the yong heng this weekend.    Needed ice in the cooling water to keep the head temperature down below 60 degree C.  

45 mins to 4500 PSI fill time is about average from zero pressure.    

Lots of moisture and oil shed into the filter set up.    

As far as the length of the hose - my set up includes replacing the hose with built in filter coming off the compressor with just a plain hose ~2" long with a quick connect.  Then each filter has a male inlet and hose outlet.

The compressor is cheap enough but a lot of work to keep it cool and within duty cycle.   The oil condition deteriorates rapidly.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Well crap did the Yong Heng and a refurbished Hill with pyramid came into stock. I’m still waiting on the 74 cubic foot tank it’s shipped.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay I have a question for those who have used SCBA tanks. Do you run a filter on them when you fill your air gun? I have a small but slightly larger cotton swab filter that is on the hand pump. I noticed when filling my tank the valve gets a little warm. And if you take it in the cooler house that could cause condensation.

Tank picture not loading
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
Okay I have a question for those who have used SCBA tanks. Do you run a filter on them when you fill your air gun? I have a small but slightly larger cotton swab filter that is on the hand pump. I noticed when filling my tank the valve gets a little warm. And if you take it in the cooler house that could cause condensation.
https://imgur.com/a/971NJsD
Tank picture not loading
View Quote

I do not filter air between the SCBA tank and the gun.  I have a desiccant filter on the intake of the compressor.  The Daystate compressor does leave a bit of an oil smell in the tank, and I notice it as well when shooting.  However, I cannot get any droplets of oil from the tank.  

Condensation will occur inside the tank if the air is not dry.  This is regardless of going from a warm outside to a cool inside.  When the tank eventually cools water will condense.  The tank will get warm on filling, but not as much as when it is filled by cascade air cylinders like they do in some SCUBA shops.  

I have checked my tank for condensation after filling by leaving the tank valve down until it has cooled on a cold winter day, then cracking the valve into a plastic bag.  I have not found any significant moisture after doing this.  The built-in in-line dryer along with drying the intake air seems to work for me.  However, I do not live in a humid climate.

I am considering adding an in-line filter between the compressor and tank to remove the little bit of oil, especially if I decide to fill other's tanks. This may be something that I'll do when we host a larger airgun match at our range.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay I have a question for those who have used SCBA tanks. Do you run a filter on them when you fill your air gun?
View Quote

Small inline with a foam filter and a small cotton filter to keep out oil mist and any condensate.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#8]

I do not filter air between the SCBA tank and the gun.  I have a desiccant filter on the intake of the compressor.  The Daystate compressor does leave a bit of an oil smell in the tank, and I notice it as well when shooting.  However, I cannot get any droplets of oil from the tank.  

Condensation will occur inside the tank if the air is not dry.  This is regardless of going from a warm outside to a cool inside.  When the tank eventually cools water will condense.  The tank will get warm on filling, but not as much as when it is filled by cascade air cylinders like they do in some SCUBA shops.  

I have checked my tank for condensation after filling by leaving the tank valve down until it has cooled on a cold winter day, then cracking the valve into a plastic bag.  I have not found any significant moisture after doing this.  The built-in in-line dryer along with drying the intake air seems to work for me.  However, I do not live in a humid climate.

I am considering adding an in-line filter between the compressor and tank to remove the little bit of oil, especially if I decide to fill other's tanks. This may be something that I'll do when we host a larger airgun match at our range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
https://imgur.com/a/971NJsD
Tank picture not loading

It was 70% humidity the other day. I do see what you mean about the cascade tank heating up when filling. I’m running a decadent filter right now and I’m thinking about a column water separator. Just to be on the safe side. That little filter didn’t cost much at all with my reward points. Plus the SCBA valve is supposed to a water pipe that extends up when the tank is upside down.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By rrbgeb:

Small inline with a foam filter and a small cotton filter to keep out oil mist and any condensate.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rrbgeb:
Okay I have a question for those who have used SCBA tanks. Do you run a filter on them when you fill your air gun?

Do you open it and let it dry when not in use? As humid as it is here I kinda wonder if won’t gain moisture if you do.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Do you open it and let it dry when not in use? As humid as it is here I kinda wonder if won’t gain moisture if you do.
View Quote

Yes, the filter material would mold otherwise.     I do that will all the cotton filters / materials.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 8:35:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#11]
Well the larger tank showed up yesterday. So it took almost an hour to fill it up with it being humid and in the 80’s. I was really surprised how much water was in the decanter filter. Now I’m sure I want a vertical water separator. About ten minutes it would hit 60 degrees C. But after about thirty minutes it seemed like it started running a little cooler and longer before reaching temp. I bet there was three tablespoons of water in the filter. The cotton tampon filter didn’t show as much oil as I expected though. And what surprised me was the big tank valve was not warm at all like the small tank with the integrated fill check valve. It’s still damp this morning.

Now for another question. Do y’all run check in line?
And what kind?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top