Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2024 3:36:33 PM EDT
My suppressors keep multiplying in my safe. I need some mirage covers for them. I have one unknown mfg currently. I typically shoot a string with it on and pull it off to let thing cool. In the meantime I shoot another rig.

What do you all like!

Cheers!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#1]
i have burn proof ones.

they do not tolerate a lot of heat. for $200 bones, id like them to do more. they are not anything special. IMO, they should be priced around the 125-150 ish mark.

if anyone here works at BPG: please make a cover that actually tolerates heat.

check out liberty defense. theyre pretty much the premium can cover.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a BPG and love it.  Looks cool, goes in nicely, however, I only use it for precision rifles to fight mirage.  I wouldn’t use it for any sort of sustained fire or run and gun type shooting.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#3]
@libertysdefense Cover smoking after break in (normal!). No sweat!Code FA11 for 11% off. #guns

Liberty’s Defense is the Rolls Royce of hard-use suppressor covers. I’ve got one that I’m reviewing right now and I love it. It won’t walk off, no matter how hard you try, and it laughs at your attempts to melt it. If you use code FA11, you’ll get 11% off (full disclosure: I will get a percentage kickback if you use my code).
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:
I typically shoot a string with it on and pull it off to let thing cool. In the meantime I shoot another rig.
View Quote

Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:
I have a BPG and love it.  Looks cool, goes in nicely, however, I only use it for precision rifles to fight mirage.  I wouldn't use it for any sort of sustained fire or run and gun type shooting.
View Quote
This.

I don't think having a layer of insulation keeping the heat inside the can is very good for it.  You want to let the can cool off.

With a bolt action precision rig, the rate of fire is slow enough it probably doesn't matter as much.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Rifles Only HAD or MAD depending on use case.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dmk0210:

This.

I don't think having a layer of insulation keeping the heat inside the can is very good for it.  You want to let the can cool off.

With a bolt action precision rig, the rate of fire is slow enough it probably doesn't matter as much.

View Quote

I am using them on precision rifles both bolt and semi. A string of fire with both is usually @ 10-20 rounds before mirage is making life difficult. I rotate guns or take a break and let them cool. With the one cover I have I pull it off to let things cool faster.

The only guns I run hot are my sbr’s in cqb stages of 3gun. I’m not doing much of that right now so not really worried about those guns.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bluedog82:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tl9zIc2JrE

Liberty’s Defense is the Rolls Royce of hard-use suppressor covers. I’ve got one that I’m reviewing right now and I love it. It won’t walk off, no matter how hard you try, and it laughs at your attempts to melt it. If you use code FA11, you’ll get 11% off (full disclosure: I will get a percentage kickback if you use my code).
View Quote

Nice covers. Need to work one into my budget. Nice that they have one specifically for my Socom SPS.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Its a sock for a suppressor. I use the $20 mechanix from Amazon. I dont really feel the need to drop 150 or 200 for a sock, but thats just me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
Its a sock for a suppressor. I use the $20 mechanix from Amazon. I dont really feel the need to drop 150 or 200 for a sock, but thats just me.
View Quote

I would respectfully disagree. If all you need is mirage mitigation, or light duty, I think that the cheaper stuff does just fine. If you’re running a gun hard, and need both mirage mitigation as well as protection from the heat (for stuff like pistol transitions, etc), then a quality cover that won’t melt or move can be pretty important. Just my .02.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By bluedog82:

I would respectfully disagree. If all you need is mirage mitigation, or light duty, I think that the cheaper stuff does just fine. If you're running a gun hard, and need both mirage mitigation as well as protection from the heat (for stuff like pistol transitions, etc), then a quality cover that won't melt or move can be pretty important. Just my .02.
View Quote
This is true. Which is why I went Big Money and spent 15 bucks on a Mechanix cover rather than using an actual sock. If the size works for your suppressor its a good deal.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#11]
This is true. Which is why I went Big Money and spent 15 bucks on a Mechanix cover rather than using an actual sock. If the size works for your suppressor its a good deal.
View Quote

How do you deal with the cord/drawstring. I just got one of those covers and it seems like it gets in the way. Their transport bag is pretty cool too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:42:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Libertys Defense.  I have them on all of mine and I also use their hand guard wrap on 2 rifles.  Hands down the best…and the owner is super cool too
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I feel pretty good about my 2 Cole-Tacsuppressor covers. They don’t walk off and control the heat well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 2 of the BPG. I purchased the second one after going about 1k rounds with the first.

I've put over 1k rounds through the second over the last couple weeks. After doing 5 consecutive Bill Drills and then some, it was billowing smoke. A rep from BPG has said that they will smoke when new as chemicals inherent to the cover material burns off. I don't usually fire at that rate, but any smoking has decreased a lot.

Are people interpreting the smoking and smell of the chemicals burning off as "damage" or "melting?" I have no damage, so I wonder what people are doing to these to destroy them. The elastic string at the end will probably lose it's elasticity, but that doesn't keep it from working.

I also disagree that they are for mirage only. I really like not having a 3rd-degree-burn risk waving around. I understand the concern about insulating the heat inside, but an old post from Jack Leuba about KAC's testing of covers and my own experience have mitigated much of my worry. I can't confidently recommend them for full-auto mag dumps and the like but that's not what I do.

The Liberty's Defense is probably more durable, but I can't really speak for other covers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:09:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mesooohoppy] [#15]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:

This.

View Quote

if youre doing rifle to pistol transition drills with shorter barrels, youll want a can cover. this is why i buy cans that i can beat on.

yes they keep heat in, but id much rather it do that than burn the shit out of my leg.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I use Cole-Tac for all of mine
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:50:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Medicin3Man:
Libertys Defense.  I have them on all of mine and I also use their hand guard wrap on 2 rifles.  Hands down the best…and the owner is super cool too
View Quote

Then his stuff got featured on a TV show and sold to .gov, now it costs 30% more at least.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Good stuff, thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:36:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Rifle only HAD > thread
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#21]
i’ve got liberty defense for nomad30 and a cole tac. LD definitely handles the mag dumps (FA) best but i realize they’re not cheap, either.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MikeSearson:

How do you deal with the cord/drawstring. I just got one of those covers and it seems like it gets in the way. Their transport bag is pretty cool too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You can take the knot at the end of the drawstring and tuck it in under the split where the drawstring comes out of the cover. Its not terribly elegant but it helps keep from having a long dangly there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Armageddon gear
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#24]
You can take the knot at the end of the drawstring and tuck it in under the split where the drawstring comes out of the cover. Its not terribly elegant but it helps keep from having a long dangly there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Pull the string through the little label on the side.

Top Top