Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2024 9:55:36 PM EDT
Looks like AGP just released a replacement pad for your decomposing sig 556/522 butt pad.

I know both of mine are absolute junk, and sticky like old electrical tape.

https://agparms.com/agp-arms-buttpad-for-sig-556-and-sig-522/
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I emailed them to see if they work on Swiss stocks as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By themao:
View Quote

Let us know. I need one too...
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Stefan-DSO:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Swiss replacements are available.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1036947322

I bought a few to keep as spares.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Thanks Josh, do you know how to remove the old pad? Everyone seems to have this problem with crumbling end plates yet nowhere can I find instructions on removing the old one...
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:35:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Thanks Josh, do you know how to remove the old pad? Everyone seems to have this problem with crumbling end plates yet nowhere can I find instructions on removing the old one...
View Quote

The US one is meant to be swapped (small set screw at the rear).  The Swiss ones need to be drilled out as I recall.  Ask Zombiesniper...I think he did a video on it
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#7]
A friend said he used some specialty automotive trim removing tools to remove the old buttpad. He said if you are lucky the old rubber just falls apart and is not difficult .
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#8]
AGP emailed me back and claims their butt pads should work.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:48:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#9]
AGP emailed me back and claims their butt pads should work.
View Quote

Even so, I would suggest buying the Swiss replacement from Zombiesniper. It’s available and you know it will work. If the day comes where you need to swap and these reproductions don’t work, you’ll be SOL finding a Swiss replacement.

I’ve learned over the years of collecting to buy the obscure parts when they are available, even if not needed at that moment.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess SIG AG doesn't offer buttpads as spares anymore but still replaces them for a fee (160 CHF)
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By leathercorp:
I guess SIG AG doesn't offer buttpads as spares anymore but still replaces them for a fee (160 CHF)
View Quote

These are Swiss. Be your own spare parts resource.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#12]
i don't do gunjoker or swiss flippers but thanks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Will the rubber on these not age while being stored?  All my Swiss stocks are 3yo or less.  All stored in a humidity controlled safe and room.  Im not sure what the benefit is if they will be almost as old as the stocks they are spares for since the issue is getting sticky over time.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:35:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#14]
Originally Posted By leathercorp:
i don't do gunjoker or swiss flippers but thanks.
View Quote

He imports from Switzerland. Not a Swiss flipper. And will deal directly.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SG55xdude:
Will the rubber on these not age while being stored?  All my Swiss stocks are 3yo or less.  All stored in a humidity controlled safe and room.  Im not sure what the benefit is if they will be almost as old as the stocks they are spares for since the issue is getting sticky over time.
View Quote

I think they all deteriorate but it takes 15-20 years. I've had it happen twice now. Once on an original Sig pe90 stock which was who knows how old and then on my Sig 553. I put that stock on the 553 when I SBR'd it in 2013 and the stock was used then.... I would probably get a few of the US made ones as spares... These are very robust weapons but things happen. I agree with Josh on keeping spares. I have a complete spare bolt and other parts. I doubt I will never need them...but.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#16]

I think they all deteriorate but it takes 15-20 years. I've had it happen twice now. Once on an original Sig pe90 stock which was who knows how old and then on my Sig 553. I put that stock on the 553 when I SBR'd it in 2013 and the stock was used then.... I would probably get a few of the US made ones as spares... These are very robust weapons but things happen. I agree with Josh on keeping spares. I have a complete spare bolt and other parts. I doubt I will never need them...but.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SG55xdude:

Nitrogen purged vacuum sealed would likely slow degradation.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:47:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sgthatred] [#17]
My stock on my 551 is one of the very old whale tail versions and the butt pad has not deteriorated yet.......

Thinking of buying a spare butt pad to put away but they are different than the whale tail stocks. I have a complete spare black furniture for the 551 so I have a back up.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

Swiss replacements are available.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1036947322

I bought a few to keep as spares.

View Quote

That picture is not of a Swiss stock.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By inkaybee:

That picture is not of a Swiss stock.  
View Quote

No it is not. It’s just being used as a stock photo.  The replacement buttpads are reportedly Swiss according to the seller. He’s a trustworthy guy, I’ll take him at his word.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By sgthatred:
My stock on my 551 is one of the very old whale tail versions and the butt pad has not deteriorated yet.......

Thinking of buying a spare butt pad to put away but they are different than the whale tail stocks. I have a complete spare black furniture for the 551 so I have a back up.

http://weaponblueprints.com/mongo/pictures/Sig-551/SIG551-green-right.jpg
View Quote

Whale tails are cool
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#21]
A friend said he used some specialty automotive trim removing tools to remove the old buttpad. He said if you are lucky the old rubber just falls apart and is not difficult .
View Quote

I managed to replace the one on my Swiss stock today...what a task from the darkest reaches of Hell... The old ones are really two piece, there is a white inner spine and the rubber is adhered to that.  It's the black rubber that deteriorates. Yes the rubber falls right off but leaves the spine. I worked mine out using a couple of flat point screwdrivers, starting at the bottom. It took about 30 minutes.  The new one just popped on with a rubber mallet pretty easily.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#22]

No it is not. It’s just being used as a stock photo.  The replacement buttpads are reportedly Swiss according to the seller. He’s a trustworthy guy, I’ll take him at his word.
View Quote

I bought one from Zombiesniper and it was definitely a Swiss pad.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#23]

I managed to replace the one on my Swiss stock today...what a task from the darkest reaches of Hell... The old ones are really two piece, there is a white inner spine and the rubber is adhered to that.  It's the black rubber that deteriorates. Yes the rubber falls right off but leaves the spine. I worked mine out using a couple of flat point screwdrivers, starting at the bottom. It took about 30 minutes.  The new one just popped on with a rubber mallet pretty easily.
View Quote

Good info, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I saw a video someplace where a guy just put the old pad in a vice and then laid the stock over briskly and the stock snapped right off the pad.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By inkaybee:
I saw a video someplace where a guy just put the old pad in a vice and then laid the stock over briskly and the stock snapped right off the pad.
View Quote

I could see that working if your pad wasn't too far gone. A vise is essential to do it. I was afraid of damaging the stock. The rubber may deteriorate, but that white plastic spine must have been made of alien plastic...it was hard to even cut on.
Top Top