Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2024 9:24:26 PM EDT
If all goes well, I should have my Sparrow22 here soon, and installed on my AR pistol with the CNMG .22lr conversion bolt system.

I thought that in the mean time, I should get some different types of ammo to try. I'm assuming the"high velocity" .22lr stuff is super sonic, and will have that crack to it.  From what I'm read, most standard velocity ammo is under 1300fps, so it's sub sonic.

I saw that CCI has standard velocity, supressor, and quiet, as far as ammo options.  I ordered a box of each just to try out. Anything else I should look into.  After I get it dialed in, this is going to be my  "I think there is a fox in the chicken coupe" gun.....it would be nice if I didn't wake up my neighbors at 2am.

Any tips of suggestions for .22lr ammo for a suppressed gun??  

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#1]
CCI SV is almost all I run these days.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:31:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluedog82] [#2]
It’s really going to come down to what will actually run in your rifle, being a semi. Yes, Standard Velocity should be subsonic, but may or may not cycle. You’ll probably be good with CCI suppressor, it’s just more expensive. HV stuff will definitely be supersonic, so louder obviously.

PS Supersonic is anything over ~1125fps, depending on elevation.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Plumber576:
View Quote

Same here, but keep in mind that it is supersonic in cold weather.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]
CCI SV is subsonic for most of the year for me. I'm at 3000ft elevation and when temps are above 40 degrees it's gtg. CCI also makes Semi-Auto quiet, may or may not cycle and Quiet, definitely won't cycle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#5]
CCI Quiet is the quietest I have tried in my bolt action but it probably won't run in your semi.

I like target ammo such as SK standard plus, Eley Club, CCI SV, etc for accuracy and quiet
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:50:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PlaysWithAtoms] [#7]
In for answers.

Don't try Aguila Standard Velocity.  Half of mine goes supersonic at 70F and I'm finding a lot of them have incomplete priming.  Have to rotate the cartridge after multiple striker impacts fail to light.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FishKepr:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FishKepr:

Yep

Yep
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I run mostly CCI Sub Sonic 45 gr HP,  CCI Standard Velociy 40 gr, or SK Standard Plus 40 gr.  All seem to be subsonic in rifles or pistols.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By PlaysWithAtoms:
In for answers.

Don't try Aguila Standard Velocity.  Half of mine goes supersonic at 70F and I'm finding a lot of them have incomplete priming.  Have to rotate the cartridge after multiple striker impacts fail to light.
View Quote

Good to know. I saw palmetto had some of that on sale, thought about trying it out. Not now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#12]

$13 for 100rds...? Isn't that pretty pricey for .22lr?? Maybe not?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:39:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bmwmc] [#13]
Depends on what you are after. Slower is quieter. But for me the slowest ammo, like Colibri, has such terrible ballistics it's unusable. "Subsonic" and "Suppressor" ammo is quieter than standard velocity but to me not worth the extra cost. I was stocked up on CCI SV, then discovered TAC-22, which for the last year or two has been cheaper so I now have a stack of cases of it. Quiet enough for my purposes and cheap enough for me.

I like Aguila SV for pistol use and it's even cheaper. Supersonic out of my rifle though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By imq707s:

$13 for 100rds...? Isn't that pretty pricey for .22lr?? Maybe not?
View Quote

Funny thing is, it's $5 for a 50 rd paper box of the same ammo. Good 22lr match ammo is 20-25$ a box, so.......
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:40:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#15]
My Buck Mark suppressed likes Federal American Eagle Suppressor 22lr ammo.  At 970fps it may be too slow in a semi rifle, haven’t tried that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I know I repeat, but if we could only get Gemtech subs again.   I love that ammo.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#17]
During the summer here in the Atlanta area, I run CCI SV. It runs subsonic in the warmer/humid weather. I’ve found on really dry days even in the 60’s it will sometimes go supersonic. In the winter, I’ve started to run CCI Suppressor at 970 fps. It’s super accurate and I’ve had no trouble with it cycling my Tippman M4-22. And it’s mouse fart quiet on my bolt action.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:29:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I like CCI standard velocity. I clean my .22 and my suppressor if I shoot 100 rounds or more.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:58:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By PlaysWithAtoms:
In for answers.

View Quote

Works great for me, multiple cases, 4500 feet elevation.  Prefer CCI SV though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:12:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I like CCI AR Tac, Mini-Mag, Standard velocity and Quiet Semi-auto for bulk semi-auto stuff. If you have access to CCI through Expertvoice, it’s significantly discounted that way.

CCI Segmented Subsonic 1050FPS works great in all my semi-autos that don’t require HV to cycle. Pretty devastating against pest.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:26:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#21]
What barrel length are we talking about? The colorfully coated CCI stuff is the cleanest and quietest that I’ve tried. If that doesn’t cycle, Winchester and American Eagle both do 45gr “Suppressor” loads that might, and they’re plated. Any of it cycles in my M&P 15-22.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:41:38 AM EDT
[#22]
CCI SV
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#23]
+1 for CCI.

SV for semi auto
QUIET for bolt guns
Havent tried the subsonic yet, seems pricey.

Picked up several bricks of Armscor on a flash sale, it ran the pistol fine and wasnt cracking. No FPS on box and didnt chrono.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Only can I have is the Ruger factory barrel upper for the takedown.

Pretty loud with Minimags

Nice and quiet with CCI std (accurate also) and the action is reliable .

The slower CCI stuff like subsonic and Quiet don't reliably run the action and while quiet they are not much different in noise level (measured by my ears) than the CCI STD.

CCI STD is my go to rimfire ammo , Operates well in my one can , operates most any semi auto rifle or pistol and will beat any of the high velocity ammo by quite a margin .

Mini Mags or velositers for hunting , Eley red box for my Anshutz target rifle and CCI STD for most everything else.

Every time I get a new to me rimfire gun I go to my ammo shelf and grab a dozen or so different ammo types and run to the range to test them . Results are generally the same with CCI STD winning out . Sometimes Wolf MT or ME are a runner up but STD is good to go and easy to find.

Case Lots of CCI STD from target sports for the win!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By cornhskr:
I know I repeat, but if we could only get Gemtech subs again.   I love that ammo.
View Quote

i still have a few bricks but i usually shoot cci sv in my semis and quiet in my bolt gun
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Invest in CCI subsonic 40gr hollow points and call it a day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#27]
CCI Standard Velocity is hard to beat with one huge caveat.     If you live or shoot where it's cold, CCI Standard may go supersonic from a 16" barrel if the temps drop below 20 degrees Fahrenheit.

I will run CCI Standard Velocity once the temps are consistently above 30 F.    If it's below 30F, I use dedicated subsonic ammo and even that will sometimes crack if it's below 0 F.     I'm mostly sniping Crows, Red Squirrels and other trash animals around my house.     I have neighbors so anything with a supersonic crack is not a good thing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been using Federal Auto Match in my 4" barreled buckmark.

Subsonic, always goes bang, and dead stripey and flickertail accurate out to fifty yards.

A lot of people don't like it for this or that reason, but it works for me, and I got a pile of it cheap.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:54:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mblades] [#29]
I just bought a few hundred of these. Not sure if they will cycle the semis but I bet they’ll be hell on sage rats from the bolt action.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#30]
CCI-SV for semi-auto's, Wolf Match Target for bolt-action.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:54:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Another consideration is raw lead bullets will make it harder to clean your suppressor.  That's another reason why I like the Federal American Eagle Suppressor 970fps, they are copper plated.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Mblades:
I just bought a few hundred of these. Not sure if they will cycle the semis but I bet they'll be hell on sage rats from the bolt action.

https://cdn36.coreware.com/cache/image-full-309427-69443b88261312f5af8d13bdbab34814.jpg
View Quote
I haven't had any issues with those cycling in semis. Great ammo.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By VTD:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VTD:
I just bought a few hundred of these. Not sure if they will cycle the semis but I bet they'll be hell on sage rats from the bolt action.

https://cdn36.coreware.com/cache/image-full-309427-69443b88261312f5af8d13bdbab34814.jpg

Good to hear, too bad they are 2x the cost of the CCI SV
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I run Federal American Eagle in my Ruger Mk IV and 10/22. Subsonic, plated and it always works and cycles fine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I just bought a few hundred of these. Not sure if they will cycle the semis but I bet they’ll be hell on sage rats from the bolt action.

View Quote

These are stupid quiet, greatly reduced the FRP I was getting with my Walther P22 Hydra AL combo. Cycled perfectly in my P22, roughly 775fps avg out of that 3.42” barrel.

I’ll do a better comparison with a handful of other ammo and get a bigger set of velocity numbers and do some accuracy comparison this weekend but so far this stuff is the best(not surprising given the price)
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:05:57 AM EDT
[#36]

These are stupid quiet, greatly reduced the FRP I was getting with my Walther P22 Hydra AL combo. Cycled perfectly in my P22, roughly 775fps avg out of that 3.42” barrel.

I’ll do a better comparison with a handful of other ammo and get a bigger set of velocity numbers and do some accuracy comparison this weekend but so far this stuff is the best(not surprising given the price)
View All Quotes

It’s got great penetration, 10”+ in gel and reliably expands every time. No problems with it going super in rifle length barrels.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#37]
CCI standard velocity works well, CCI subsonic is my go to, stuff is super accurate out of my gun compared to anything I tried so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top