Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2024 9:10:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scollins]
As a Sole Proprietor, I'm exempt from these requirements.  But not all Sole Proprietors are exempt.  The FAQ states "No, unless a sole proprietorship was created (or, if a foreign sole proprietorship, registered to do business) in the United States by filing a document with a secretary of state or similar office."

My wife (small business CPA) was telling me about the requirements that impact many of her clients, and in her words "it will be a clusterfuck nightmare."  The reporting window just opened on 1/1/2024, and existing companies have until 12/31/2024 to report.  New companies formed in 2024 have to report within 30 90 days.  Fines are apparently $500/day

If your FFL is an LLC, partnership, S-Corp or C-Corp, it is almost 100% likely you need to report to FinCEN based on CTA-2021.

Lots of information here in the FAQ:
https://www.fincen.gov/boi-faqs
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:47:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Thought companies formed in 2024 had 90 days to report?
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Thought companies formed in 2024 had 90 days to report?
View Quote

https://www.fincen.gov/boi-faqs#G_1
Yes if the company is formed between Jan 1, 2024 and Dec 31, 2024.  The deadline is 30 days for companies formed on or after Jan 1, 2025.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Just had my inspection yesterday and the agent mentioned this and told me to stay sole proprietor.

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:11:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Chowser:
Just had my inspection yesterday and the agent mentioned this and told me to stay sole proprietor.
View Quote

IOI's are not agents they are auditors.  They are also not attorneys and there are many reasons when an LLC is superior to a sole proprietor.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the heads up. I had never heard of this and without this post I doubt I would have. I just finished my filling and it only took 5 minutes to get it done.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#6]
seems like its only for companies created after jan 1 2024. or im reading it wrong?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By IHTFP08:
seems like its only for companies created after jan 1 2024. or im reading it wrong?

View Quote

You are reading it wrong.  It's for all corporations and LLC's that don't meet one of the 23 exemptions.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I filed as well - took about 15 mins for all my LLC's.  Last thing I need is for my LLC that holds my NFA items to be revoked, cancelled, etc...
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#9]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/213456/company_PNG-3151104.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/213456/company_PNG-3151104.JPG

A "company applicant" is different than BOI's for a company.

E. 1. Who is a company applicant of a reporting company?

Only reporting companies created or registered on or after January 1, 2024, will need to report their company applicants.

A company that must report its company applicants will have only up to two individuals who could qualify as company applicants:

The individual who directly files the document that creates or registers the company; and
If more than one person is involved in the filing, the individual who is primarily responsible for directing or controlling the filing.

Basically it is saying for companies formed after 1/1/2024, not only do companies have to report their BOIs, they also have to report/designate the individual who is completing the form (i.e. the person responsible for filling it out.)
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag.

How are we supposed to find out about these things? This is the first I have heard of any of this and apparently this was from 2021?

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I have research to do.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks,

Just did it. Needed a copy of my DL for documentation, EIN, etc. Took maybe 5 mins since I already had scanned copies of that info.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Just more BS to stifle small business owners...
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:56:27 PM EDT
[#13]
More news....  Seems the government is losing in court on this issue.  Still somewhat of a hassle, as only "members as of 3/1/2024 of the National Small Business Association" are covered at the moment.

https://www.cohencpa.com/knowledge-center/insights/march-2024/court-decision-suspends-boi-reporting-for-some-not-all
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top