Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2023 9:33:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NWRed]
Came across a guy selling an unfired 762NATO 1919A4 for about the same total cost as a kit/barrel/jig/etc for a MG42/59 (Beretta made 762NATO) , BUT I'd have to assemble the kit myself and I cant weld sheet metal that great

Is one of these greatly prefered over the other? The cost of a built MG42/M53 is way outside of what I can justify on another beltfed.
Any opinions or considerations i should think about between these 2 options?
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:20:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigPolska] [#1]
Extra barrels?

Barrels for Brownings are dirt cheap and everywhere....

The MGs can run an AR gripstick...fancy triggers

Both are cool guns, get both
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigPolska:
Extra barrels?

Barrels for Brownings are dirt cheap and everywhere....

The MGs can run an AR gripstick...fancy triggers

Both are cool guns, get both
View Quote

$500 for a MG42/59 barrel.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]
That MG42 barrel is cheaper than a UK barrel by ~$200 and it's available.

For cool factor id go MG42. Back everything you weld with copper for minimal cleanup.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm

M1919:
Can shoot a ton of different calibers.
Barrels are cheap
Super easy to build
Accessories are cheap.
Belts suck to load
Cool factor = 6

MG42:
Shoots two calibers.
Barrels cost a lot if you can find them.
PITA to build
Accessories are crazy expensive
Belts are cake to load.
Cool factor = 9
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#5]
1919A4 all the way.

More versatile caliber wise, easy to build, parts available, rugged as they come.

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I ended up making a deal for the 1919a4. Tripod is ordered, now I just need to buy some .308 links and a 7.62x39 conversion kit.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 3:45:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: svt40] [#7]
Pictures or it did not happen.  

The x39 kit comes with nylon links.  Super easy to load, hassle to pick up after-words.  They will not modify your x39 bolt for semi operation.  You'll have to get that done yourself.  I found it easiest to just keep a fully populated bolt in a M1919 bolt pouch just in case the spring lets go.  Plus no need to swap extractors or sears or anything.  Just swap barrel, guides, booster and bolt and be on your way.

Careful with the Sarco white M1919 belts as some of them are made for some unknown round. 30.06 or 7.62 are very hard to load up, but once you get them in there they stretch out nicely for future reloads..

7.62x39 conversion kit.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By svt40:
Pictures or it did not happen.  

The x39 kit comes with nylon links.  Super easy to load, hassle to pick up after-words.  They will not modify your x39 bolt for semi operation.  You'll have to get that done yourself.  I found it easiest to just keep a fully populated bolt in a M1919 bolt pouch just in case the spring lets go.  Plus no need to swap extractors or sears or anything.  Just swap barrel, guides, booster and bolt and be on your way.

Careful with the Sarco white M1919 belts as some of them are made for some unknown round. 30.06 or 7.62 are very hard to load up, but once you get them in there they stretch out nicely for future reloads..

7.62x39 conversion kit.
View Quote

I spoke on the phone with Barrelxchange before I bought the 1919. I got an email that sarco cancelled my order for the tripod - they're sold out.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Try BMG parts.  They have both M2 and M122 tripods.  Or if you want a project, ebay has a ton of demilled tripods right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top