Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2023 8:33:33 AM EDT
I'm not new to NFA stuff and have done a bunch of form 1 sbrs but never one for a can. I've been trying to weed through all the posts about what the atf needs now and from what I can tell they'll be ok with a crude drawing of my idea and to put on there that I haven't sourced any materials yet (which is true).  Some people said they sent pics of their drills and dremels, is that necessary?

There hasn't been a post in a while about the matter so I'm just trying to get some clarification.

Secondly, any tips for my idea?

Thanks,
Tom
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:04:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#1]
I just submitted a form 1 for a .22 can yesterday.

I added in the description that I was going to CNC it out of bar stock aluminum, and that I have no parts or tools on hand. I also specified that I was not building one out of a kit or 80%. For the picture, I literally just put a picture of barstock on there.

I didn't attach a picture of the drawing, design, or anything like that. So we'll see what they end up saying.

Efile form 1, with a .eft fingerprint card. Should only take 35 or so days to hear an answer, so we'll see.

I don't think you attaching a drawing will hurt anything, OP.

ETA I went back and pulled my description and Why Make:

TO BE CNC MILLED COMPLETELY FROM BAR STOCK ALUMINUM, NO KIT. THREADED CAP, BAFFLES, ENDCAP, AND TUBE.

FOR ALL LEGAL PURPOSES, INCLUDING TESTING OF A BAFFLE DESIGN FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY. NO MATERIALS ON HAND AS OF FILING, NO TOOLS ON HAND AS OF FILING.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I just had one approved in March (submitted in Feb).

I didn't include any drawings or pics of the actual silencer design.

I did include a picture of my lathe.

4h: Will purchase and turn raw metal stock and other scrap on my lathe after form approved

4i: I stated For Collection and All Other Lawful Purposes for reason.

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Sweet, thanks.  I ended up putting the following.

WILL FABRICATE USING COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE SUPPLIES PROCURED AT
LOWES, AUTOZONE, ACE HARDWARE, ETC. USING HAND TOOLS.

And then submitted that drawing but put on there no supplies will be purchased until approval.  

It's pending to be pending now (pending research) because I wanted a model number.  I'll update whether or not it's approved whenever it comes back.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep it simple, just "machining from bar stock, no materials purchased" and "for all lawful purposes" will be plenty.

As far as tips on your design, what's it for?  What's the tube at the proximal end?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Hoping to do something g like this
Attachment Attached File

It'll be for an mp5sd clone.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pestilence12:
I just submitted a form 1 for a .22 can yesterday.

I added in the description that I was going to CNC it out of bar stock aluminum, and that I have no parts or tools on hand. I also specified that I was not building one out of a kit or 80%. For the picture, I literally just put a picture of barstock on there.

I didn't attach a picture of the drawing, design, or anything like that. So we'll see what they end up saying.

Efile form 1, with a .eft fingerprint card. Should only take 35 or so days to hear an answer, so we'll see.

I don't think you attaching a drawing will hurt anything, OP.

ETA I went back and pulled my description and Why Make:

TO BE CNC MILLED COMPLETELY FROM BAR STOCK ALUMINUM, NO KIT. THREADED CAP, BAFFLES, ENDCAP, AND TUBE.

FOR ALL LEGAL PURPOSES, INCLUDING TESTING OF A BAFFLE DESIGN FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY. NO MATERIALS ON HAND AS OF FILING, NO TOOLS ON HAND AS OF FILING.
View Quote

It’s always a crap shoot with time.  I submitted one for a form 1 can in February and still waiting.  Submitted a form 1 for a SBR - non brace in March and got it it 4 weeks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Got the stamp back today. It had been pending research for a while but once it was past that, it went pretty quick.

The dates on the form say 7-12 to 7-26 while I really submitted it all 6-5.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top