Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2024 5:15:19 PM EDT
I got type 38 and I have read a bit about reloading for it
I also looked for 6.5 brass which is very hard to find
So now I am looking at making some from 308.
The reading I have done seems to indicate that the chambers were big compared to the brass and I should find out sooner than later so I don’t work hard to make it smaller than needed.
One guy said he opened up the lower part of the die to match the chamber with a shell and sand paper so it would be less sizing stress on the brass
So anyone with good knowledge on this please give me some good advice about this
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Several years ago there was a guy in Washington or Oregon state that was making it from .308/7.62 military brass and selling it in lots of 100 rds. I bought a few hundred at the time, but it's been several years ago and I no longer have any ordering info.
Maybe someone in that area of the country has some info on it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:02:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SyberSniper] [#4]
You can buy new 6.5 brass from Graffs, PPU, Winchester and S&B. Norma is undersized, so stay away from that.
Some have made it from 308, but it is not really a suitable parent. I forget the one everyone says is the best, IIRC it's the hard to find obsolete 35 Rem or 220 Swift - those are a lot of work to get right so just buy new...
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Type 38 manufactured around 1924 and bought 100 PPU brass from Graf’s.   No problems so far but I loaded mine light with IMR3031, Winchester large rifle primers and blem 123 grain Sierra Match King bullets.   I haven’t shot mine past 100 yards but my eleven year old grandson really likes it as do I.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:29:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I have roll formed the cases to 6.5 from 308 in the past  

Using 308 brass over 7.62 seems to help with case volume..

It takes 3 passes through  the roll former then cases need to be resized on the press.  The rims come out just a bit large but since the dies are all undersized it works out..

It's  a bit of a pain so mostly  it's  easier to buy the PPU brass from Graf.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:07:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunsNotPuns] [#7]
Originally Posted By kychas:I also looked for 6.5 brass which is very hard to find
View Quote

I was dubious as to this claim as I figured 6.5 Jap would be easier to find in Bidenland over Trudeaudopia but I looked at a number of places down there and the brass would appear to be harder to find than an honest car salesman. Hopefully some more comes into Canada before I have need for it myself.

That said, converting .308 to 6.5 Jap is a thing and I have heard of people doing it. I have also heard of .35 Remington being used but I will plead ignorance as to any details.
Top Top