Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2024 3:08:52 PM EDT
for $5200 at a supplier near one of my works stores I will be at next week. Not finding to much info on these here. Should I consider these? Or just get a PVS-14. I would rather buy once, cry once, but if these are not the greatest, then obviously have no problem going to the PVS-14.

Here are the specs

Elbit XLSH green phosphor tubes - I believe these are the lowest grade tubes Elbit makes.

HALO: 0.95/0.7
FOM: 1638.4/1676.8
EBI: 2.08/1.33
Res: 64/64
SNR: 25.6/26.2

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 3:14:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TechOps] [#1]
They are the lowest grade (XLSH) and fairly low specs, but clean looking tubes and I love the MK2 housing.

$5,200 for duels is pretty nice.

Gen (3) tubes are amazing across the board in my opinion.

I would pull the trigger on those over (1) 3-4k PVS14, personally.

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not these with a new housing? Sell the ANVIS housing and you can get a new (better) one for cheap and not have cheap Chinesium housings.

https://atloppshop.com/products/gen-3-autogated-anvis-9
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:41:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ThatGuy01:
Why not these with a new housing? Sell the ANVIS housing and you can get a new (better) one for cheap and not have cheap Chinesium housings.

View Quote
So I would gave to get a RNVG housing? Or something like the Katana from Nocturn? Or something like that
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:34:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#4]
I had the opportunity to briefly own (via a trade) and inspect a few 1431 MK2 housings. TLDR: I was not impressed.

The housing material seemed to degrade when coming in contact with dielectric grease, as I swabbed out black gunk mixed with grease while cleaning a set. Or maybe there was just a ton of powderized plastic leftover from the manufacturing process. But the grease that should have been clear turned translucent black from housing material mixing with it.

The plastic seemed brittle also and prone to cracking wherever there was a bolt holding something together, specifically the area where the battery housing is attached to the bridge assembly. Whoever built it could have damaged it potentially but I didn’t notice that any of the screws were over-torqued

They also exhibited loss of purge when removing the battery cap, as seen here: https://youtube.com/shorts/4cc8v54uJcs?si=45aWA9jvAYlWPpDR

Finally, what was most bothersome was how the power/gain switch was fitted to the bridge assembly. Basically there was a lack of internal support for the switch which led to it shifting around, and eventually having its pronged contacts pull loose from the PCB, which caused power issues. 5-7 out of 10 times, when pushing, you couldn’t turn the bino on or off. Mind you, this isn’t some super old surplus housing that had seen thousands of power cycles. It was a housing that was less than two years old and very seldom used.

I do believe that they are constantly improving the housings, but what I saw was enough to completely turn me off to ever recommending them to anyone.

It’s a cheap housing designed by people who really don’t understand night vision devices that well. But they stole all the ascetics and some of the functions of genuine L3 products/intelectual property.

Some Chinese copies are impressive and work, while others fall painfully short. The 1431 is an example that goes into the later category in my opinion. But many vendors promoted them heavily due to the price and the profits they were able to make from selling them.

I think these Argus devices did a huge disservice to the many consumers who bought them as well as to the people who invented the PVS31/A  & 1531 and had their ideas stolen. The only people who benefited were the vendors who prioritized quantities of sales over providing customers with a quality product. The sad thing is that many people won’t use their equipment enough to find these issues right away, and I really cringe thinking about how many 1431 housings ended up with Filmless tubes in them and people trying to use them for anything more than hobby related tasks. I just can’t take them seriously.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:15:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10-8DoWork] [#6]
I went through 2 of the mk2 "Canada" housings and ended up selling the 3rd which did work, but I lost faith in the housing.

1. Power supply caused flickering, and other abnormalities. Replaced under warranty.
2. IR illuminator didn't turn on even though the red light came on. Replaced under warranty.

When you are so close to a reputable housing, just save more and do that. I don't think the savings justify the risk.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
For you guys that have had hands in with the 1431 and the Jerry 31s. Are they about the same build quality? I got to demo a Jerry 31 recently. I’m just curious how the construction stacks up.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ThatGuy01:

View Quote
Has anyone ever dealt with them? I emailed and asked if they knew what tubes were and in them and they said they had no idea.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#9]
These are Chinese junk.. not Canada lol
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 4:21:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top