Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Free SBR stamp? (Page 5 of 16)
Page / 16
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Diesel1979:Hypothetical question since it has come up a few times. What if we all get our approvals prior and assuming it gets shot down.  Do we no longer have SBR's?  Is there an actual determination out there on this by the so called authorities?
View Quote

I expect the registered firearms will remain on the registry unless the owner requests their removal.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By D0minat0r:

This is what I am thinking as well, since its in "conditionally approved " when you get the approval. If this gets shot down, I am going to remove my form 1s.

I want a job doing this, since its takes forever, Id like to do 1-2 form 1's everyday and call it a day, hit the range....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Diesel1979:
Hypothetical question since it has come up a few times. What if we all get our approvals prior and assuming it gets shot down.  Do we no longer have SBR’s?  Is there an actual determination out there on this by the so called authorities?

This is what I am thinking as well, since its in "conditionally approved " when you get the approval. If this gets shot down, I am going to remove my form 1s.

I want a job doing this, since its takes forever, Id like to do 1-2 form 1's everyday and call it a day, hit the range....

As a WAG I would say you get a nice letter from the atf telling you what your options are.
1 pay $200 and receive a amended form 1 with stamp.
2 convert to a non nfa status, be it pistol or rifle.
3 destroy said firearm or give it to police.
They will have confused the issue so much it will be next to impossible to figure out what is legal.
Oh, removing the form 1’s won’t do squat. You’re still on the books, just like people who have had machine guns and later sold them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 2:19:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D0minat0r] [#3]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:

As a WAG I would say you get a nice letter from the atf telling you what your options are.
1 pay $200 and receive a amended form 1 with stamp.
2 convert to a non nfa status, be it pistol or rifle.
3 destroy said firearm or give it to police.
They will have confused the issue so much it will be next to impossible to figure out what is legal.
Oh, removing the form 1’s won’t do squat. You’re still on the books, just like people who have had machine guns and later sold them.
View Quote

Yep, they going to ask for the 200, at which point I will convert back to a pistol. They are not getting any of my money. SAF and GOA will get that money instead.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#4]
If it happens I’ll pay the $200 if it means I still don’t have to engrave them as that’s the worst part of the SBR process.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think they'll ask anyone to pay the $200 retroactively since that's a lot of work for them and they don't need that money (nor would ATF receive it, since it goes into Treasury general fund). It's really not about the money anyway. It's about power and control.

I'd be more concerned they'd just invalidate all the registrations and tell you to do a new (paid) F1 if you still want a registered SBR, with engraving and all the normal requirements.

I've been reading everything I can find on this and nobody knows what they'll do in that scenario.
It would suck to send them all that data and then NOT have a legal SBR.

My guess is they'd do nothing, and everyone who registered for free will just keep their free SBR registrations.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 3:08:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#6]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
I expect the registered firearms will remain on the registry unless the owner requests their removal.
View Quote
They never actually remove anything from the registry.

If the owner sends a letter stating something has been permanently returned to a Title I configuration, they just note that in the computer and now that owner's registration is useless.

I would never do that unless I had sold/transferred something (as a Title I firearm) or was definitely about to do so.
The only benefit is that it won't cause a problem if a subsequent owner tries to NFA register that same firearm later (since they'll know you're not expected to still have it).
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Firestarter123:
If it happens I’ll pay the $200 if it means I still don’t have to engrave them as that’s the worst part of the SBR process.
View Quote

I'd say they will have to be engraved because that and the $200 stamp are the only difference now between a paid form 1 and the brace form1
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Any way you look at it, it’s gonna be a clusterF.  I’m thinking there are millions who own these and probably aren’t even aware of any of this nonsense?
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 2:06:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#9]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
My guess is they'd do nothing, and everyone who registered for free will just keep their free SBR registrations.
View Quote
I agree. It's in the registry. It's registered as an SBR.

The tax stamp just means you paid $200. These were registered tax exempt.

The Police and government don't get tax stamps on their F4s either. They are still registered and transferrable.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Still haven't jumped in the pool yet, but has anyone seen any free trust forms come back?
If I have to pay to move them to a trust later, I'll just pay for a stamp now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I have seen a few go, but not many......
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm still not sure how I feel about this.  If I understand this correctly, if someone had a braced pistol (all owned as of Summer of 2022) they would be GTG to submit the free form.

Say they had a stripped AR lower (owned as of 2013) and a short barreled upper and a brace they hadn't put together yet, they could not take advantage of the freebie conditional registration?

If the lower had been configured with short barrel and brace prior to Jan. 31st 2023, they could do the free registration.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Pothole:
Still haven't jumped in the pool yet, but has anyone seen any free trust forms come back?
View Quote

The real question is, how many people would have assigned a non-NFA weapon to a trust prior to the reclassification?

The answer is virtually no one
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By travisty250:
I'm still not sure how I feel about this.  If I understand this correctly, if someone had a braced pistol (all owned as of Summer of 2022) they would be GTG to submit the free form.

Say they had a stripped AR lower (owned as of 2013) and a short barreled upper and a brace they hadn't put together yet, they could not take advantage of the freebie conditional registration?

If the lower had been configured with short barrel and brace prior to Jan. 31st 2023, they could do the free registration.
View Quote

If you owned all the components, you'd be good to file the free form if you desired.

Constructive possession works both ways.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By crazyelece:

If you owned all the components, you'd be good to file the free form if you desired.

Constructive possession works both ways.
View Quote
That's how I see it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Villafuego:

The real question is, how many people would have assigned a non-NFA weapon to a trust prior to the reclassification?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Villafuego:
Originally Posted By Pothole:

I did.  When it came out that the pistols had to be in the trust prior to 1-31-23 to be eligible for the free registration, my trust attorney created an amendment and I had it notorized on 1-30-23 at the last minute.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Had mine done yesterday, was smaller than I expected and really wasn’t a big deal. Pretty painless actually
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Patsfantn:

Had mine done yesterday, was smaller than I expected and really wasn’t a big deal. Pretty painless actually
View All Quotes

I have to ship mine as there’s nowhere within 100 miles of me that does it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Point taken, that would be a pain in the ass. There’s two places near me that do it, walk in and done in 10 min.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I have seen a few go, but not many......
View Quote

Where have you seen the free brace-SBR come back filled under a Trust??
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I filed four forms on the same day, 2/28.  One was approved on 2/20.  Mailed all the prints to WV two days later, each form in a separate envelope.

Is there any rhyme or reason to how these are processed?
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MikeDeltaFoxtrot:
I filed four forms on the same day, 2/28.  One was approved on 2/20.  Mailed all the prints to WV two days later, each form in a separate envelope.

Is there any rhyme or reason to how these are processed?
View Quote
Nope. I've had nine approved. Eighteen left to go.

My last submittal is approved and one of my first few is approved. Seems to be pretty random and many different people signing the forms.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By kokopelli:

View Quote

I've seen a few people that have filed them, but nothing approved.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By kokopelli:

View Quote

There are several Trust approvals in this thread.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/EForm-1-Tracking-Thread-DO-NOT-POST-before-reading-the-rules-in-OP/17-494992/
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Wandell:

There are several Trust approvals in this thread.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/EForm-1-Tracking-Thread-DO-NOT-POST-before-reading-the-rules-in-OP/17-494992/
View Quote

Tons, but I haven't seen any amnesty form 1's approved on a trust.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#26]
thats just the question - NO TRUST FREE/BRACE APPROVALS...lots of Individual freebies, but ZERO on a trust so far have been reported either here or the giant reddit thread.

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#27]

I have to ship mine as there's nowhere within 100 miles of me that does it.
View All Quotes
If it happens I'll pay the $200 if it means I still don't have to engrave them as that's the worst part of the SBR process.

Had mine done yesterday, was smaller than I expected and really wasn't a big deal. Pretty painless actually

I have to ship mine as there's nowhere within 100 miles of me that does it.
I got ya, bro.

Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:45:15 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Legit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 2:16:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TacticoolNinjaName] [#29]
Looks better than my engraving of 9x19 on my barrel. Left out the 1 and had to squeeze it in.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#30]
For how long this takes, I am glad they didnt get any of my money. Slow bastards......2.5 months for my form 1's and no movement.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Still no movement, these people......

Anyone get approved for free stamp in the past week?
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Still no movement, these people......

Anyone get approved for free stamp in the past week?
View Quote
I think I've gotten three more approved in the last week. Also had four move to pending after sitting for two months in limbo.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I got the one I sent with EFT… came back in 45 days.

But I did 5 others with a set of ink prints. All submitted the same night. Three of them came back. First started at 45 days, another a few days after… third like 10ish days after the first came back. Annoying that I still have two MIA.

Looked at the website… those two are still in submitted/in progress. Everything else is in approved. Only thing I can come up with, both are Anderson lowers, same model but different calibers.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I sent off 8 and received 6 of them back in about 5-6 weeks. It’s been another two weeks and nothing has come back for the last two! All submitted 2/2
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Submitted 3 on 24th of Feb.  One was approved on the 16th March and another on the 30th. Still waiting for the third.
Paper fingerprint cards.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 6:03:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HammerTech] [#36]
Originally Posted By Screwball:
I got the one I sent with EFT… came back in 45 days.

But I did 5 others with a set of ink prints. All submitted the same night. Three of them came back. First started at 45 days, another a few days after… third like 10ish days after the first came back. Annoying that I still have two MIA.

Looked at the website… those two are still in submitted/in progress. Everything else is in approved. Only thing I can come up with, both are Anderson lowers, same model but different calibers.
View Quote

Took them 58 days to approve my Anderson lower with 300BO caliber. Paper prints. Were yours sold as complete pistols or just lowers?
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By HammerTech:

Took them 58 days to approve my Anderson lower with 300BO caliber. Paper prints. Were yours sold as complete pistols or just lowers?
View Quote
I've had 14 of 27 approved so far. All paper prints. Took about 40 days for the first ones.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By HammerTech:
View Quote

I’m at 72 days…

They both were stripped uppers, built by myself.

The first one that came back was a PSA AR, also built by me. Then the AK-P, then M&P15-22 Pistol, with the PTR 9CT bringing up the rear (EFT a month later than the others).

Just stupid how it is spread out like that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Still waiting in 2 of them from 2/2
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#40]
ON the 14th, it will be 3 months. Unreal, never, N E V E R will they get my money, this is the reason why.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#41]

I’m at 72 days…

They both were stripped uppers, built by myself.

The first one that came back was a PSA AR, also built by me. Then the AK-P, then M&P15-22 Pistol, with the PTR 9CT bringing up the rear (EFT a month later than the others).

Just stupid how it is spread out like that.
View Quote

My truck gun just came back… Anderson 5.56mm 11.5” AR.

Just like the other ones, but this one had a little more on the conditions:

“NAME OF MANUFACTURER SHOULD BE ANDERSON MANUFACTURING; Pursuant to ATF Final Rule 2021R-08F.”

Why put that first part? I had it as the original manufacturer, and in description said it was a previously owned braced pistol, with Anderson’s marking/location. Figured that was clear in the rule.

First examiner that I could read his name; Robert Sigon. Thank you, Robert!
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 5:15:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Man, I hope mine come back approved here soon. I submitted two around the 20th of Jan and nothing so far...
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#43]

My truck gun just came back… Anderson 5.56mm 11.5” AR.

Just like the other ones, but this one had a little more on the conditions:

“NAME OF MANUFACTURER SHOULD BE ANDERSON MANUFACTURING; Pursuant to ATF Final Rule 2021R-08F.”

Why put that first part? I had it as the original manufacturer, and in description said it was a previously owned braced pistol, with Anderson’s marking/location. Figured that was clear in the rule.

First examiner that I could read his name; Robert Sigon. Thank you, Robert!
View Quote

Did you write out the full name of the manufacturer or abbreviate it in some way
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Called them today to find out status, they pretty much have no idea.....what a giant cluster fuck over there. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD get rid of them....these people are useless. 3 months and no reason why it should be this long. Prints received on 1/19.

No wonder why people hate this....we have to put up with these turtles and on top, pay them 200$.

I do not give a flying fugg, but these people will never, NEVER get a dime from me. Not 1 cent.....
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll be shocked if I get those that I submitted mid-March back by the end of the year.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By vellnueve:
Did you write out the full name of the manufacturer or abbreviate it in some way
View Quote

Nope... when you put it in the fillable fields, it populates itself. Confirmed it was correct and same for the "model."

I literally wrote receiver markings... "manufacture, city, state" as on the receiver. And then included a shot of that same marking.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#47]

Is the best option the OEM stock?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
1 of 6 approved now but happily it's the one I cared the most about.

Borrowed a stock from another SBR to model it now that I can put a VFG on it as well.

It's so much nicer as an SBR.

https://nextcloud.fstech.ltd/s/qCTJrYSFdtjcJ7C/preview
Needs a side folder!

Is the best option the OEM stock?

Get the OEM. It is nice.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#48]
This has never been a fast or convenient process, with the new rule you can only expect it to take MUCH longer with the influx of "free stamps".
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:10:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Diesel1979] [#49]
It’s meant to be slow by design.  I’m curious how many are doing the brace amnesty thing?  Are there really millions of people registering them?

Same goes for form 4’s with suppressors.  Are there really THAT many people buying these things?  I’m the only one out of every body I know that is into this shit.  I find it hard to believe the influx is soo overwhelming that it takes nearly a F’n year to process unless it’s on purpose.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 10:45:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Well you can add that they really don't have the staffing for such an undertaking, and don't plan on having 50-60 employees/examiners to help get the workload down.
Page / 16
Free SBR stamp? (Page 5 of 16)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top