Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2023 2:10:16 PM EDT
I have had a FM-9 in the box for longer than I should admit and finally got it out.
Initially ran 10 round belts through it to ensure function but once I hooked up a larger belt or tried to run a 150 round bag the belt would pull apart.
Specifically, the belt inside the feed chute would pull apart by stretching the single arm of a link out, causing the belt to separate.  This was consistently at the point between 3 rounds or so and the rest of the belt.
The links and upper were purchased in 2019.  Ammo was S&B 115gr.  Semiauto, standard strength buffer spring and buffer.
I've emailed Freedom Ordnance but thought I check here first.
Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 2:07:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Third_Rail] [#1]
Odd! Did you try the heavier buffer insert? It sounds like the reciprocal mass velocity is too high.

ETA: Wait - do the loaded belts easily clear the feed chute if you try it by hand or is there some imperfection in there hanging up?
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, heavy buffer and carrier weight.  
I thought about binding of the belt too but no restriction in feeding that I can tell.

I've got a red springco spring in there now and a super heavy buffer weight and will give that a run next week to see if that slows down the system.  If not then I'll try a hydraulic buffer combo that amphibian has used.

Tried emailing Freedom Ordnance last week but no response.

I don't know if there's something improved with the gen 2 top cover or maybe a bad batch of links.  I've loaded up a bunch from my second bag of links to test as well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Out of curiosity - are you running with a can on there? Nothing is sticking out to me as far as being too unusual about your setup. Certainly nothing where it would be pulling the belt apart like that.

I've fired close to 10k rounds out of my Gen1 setup so far without any real issues and nothing repeatable like you're experiencing. Something is off but I have no clue what it is.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
No can, does it with both 12" and 16" barrels.
Still no response from Freedom Ordnance
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#5]
That's frustrating. You'd think there would be some level of support for a multi-thousand dollar upper!
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By okent:
I have had a FM-9 in the box for longer than I should admit and finally got it out.
Initially ran 10 round belts through it to ensure function but once I hooked up a larger belt or tried to run a 150 round bag the belt would pull apart.
Specifically, the belt inside the feed chute would pull apart by stretching the single arm of a link out, causing the belt to separate.  This was consistently at the point between 3 rounds or so and the rest of the belt.
The links and upper were purchased in 2019.  Ammo was S&B 115gr.  Semiauto, standard strength buffer spring and buffer.
View Quote

This sounds like either a heavy limiter spring on your belt bag or some out-of-spec links.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trapshooter50:

This sounds like either a heavy limiter spring on your belt bag or some out-of-spec links.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Trapshooter50:

I didn't even think about the spring on the bags! Does the belt still pull apart without using the bags?
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, pulls apart with or without using the bag.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#9]
The only thing that seems to make sense is something off about the feed chute.

Did they still not get back to you?
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

I don't know which post response you will see first, email me [email protected]
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:
That's frustrating. You'd think there would be some level of support for a multi-thousand dollar upper!
View Quote

There is support but we are a small company? I don't know how he reached out to us, but we support our products.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 9mmBeltfed:

View All Quotes

See - that is what I expected from you.

I'm still delighted with my upper and point people your way regularly with the availability questions I get about it. It's still my favorite plinker for regular use.

Paging @okent - to make sure you see Josh's contact info!
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#13]

I'm still delighted with my upper and point people your way regularly with the availability questions I get about it. It's still my favorite plinker for regular use.

View Quote

I was gone for awhile but I am back lol. New stuff is in the works and we still have parts and assemblies to support warranty.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#14]

I was gone for awhile but I am back lol. New stuff is in the works and we still have parts and assemblies to support warranty.
View All Quotes

Excellent to hear! I feared for a short while that perhaps it had been abandoned as a product - which would have been quite a waste. I've been nothing but happy with mine. I shoot it so much at times that I bring three barrels with me to swap out after every 200-400 rounds.

Do you still sell the top cover/feed mechanism? I keep thinking about using it to make myself a LAD 7.62x25mm clone.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Excellent to hear! I feared for a short while that perhaps it had been abandoned as a product - which would have been quite a waste. I've been nothing but happy with mine. I shoot it so much at times that I bring three barrels with me to swap out after every 200-400 rounds.

Do you still sell the top cover/feed mechanism? I keep thinking about using it to make myself a LAD 7.62x25mm clone.
View Quote

Right now I believe we have everything as out of stock to save parts for warranty. We are currently working on a direction for the 9mm belt fed but there will be a resurgence. What that looks like I am not sure yet but whatever we do, we will support past customers when we figure it out lol.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Right now I believe we have everything as out of stock to save parts for warranty. We are currently working on a direction for the 9mm belt fed but there will be a resurgence. What that looks like I am not sure yet but whatever we do, we will support past customers when we figure it out lol.
View All Quotes

Fair enough. If there's a mailing list for parts availability I'd love to sign up for that. Honestly I should have just bought an extra feed mechanism and top cover when you had them available. Oh well - live and learn!
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Fair enough. If there's a mailing list for parts availability I'd love to sign up for that. Honestly I should have just bought an extra feed mechanism and top cover when you had them available. Oh well - live and learn!
View Quote

There is a tab I just added to the menu for the waitlist. I was hidden on the product page and we already get a ton of people signing up daily. Now I am curious with it on the main menu how much that will increase lol
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#18]

There is a tab I just added to the menu for the waitlist. I was hidden on the product page and we already get a ton of people signing up daily. Now I am curious with it on the main menu how much that will increase lol
View All Quotes

I don't see anything as far as a notify me button on the individual product pages for the cover/feed tray/chute or the main FM-9 waitlist page. I did turn off all the script and ad blockers just in case - but nothing.

I might be tech stupid though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#19]

I don't see anything as far as a notify me button on the individual product pages for the cover/feed tray/chute or the main FM-9 waitlist page. I did turn off all the script and ad blockers just in case - but nothing.

I might be tech stupid though.
View Quote

On the front page the menu at the top next to store you should see 9mm belt fed waitlist. That is for everything belt fed not just complete uppers. Check box everything you're looking for.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Update:  I got in touch with Josh and he is going to help figure out what the issue is.
Glad that the company is continuing to be available and support the product, even though I have had it sitting a closet for literally 3 years!

Thanks Josh
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Update:  I got in touch with Josh and he is going to help figure out what the issue is.
Glad that the company is continuing to be available and support the product, even though I have had it sitting a closet for literally 3 years!

Thanks Josh
View All Quotes

Thanks Josh

Excellent news! I knew it didn't seem right for no support to be available - not for something like this.

On the front page the menu at the top next to store you should see 9mm belt fed waitlist. That is for everything belt fed not just complete uppers. Check box everything you're looking for.

It stopped at the 1k links option. I cleared the cache and that did it - so I was indeed being a tech idiot.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Excellent news! I knew it didn't seem right for no support to be available - not for something like this.

It stopped at the 1k links option. I cleared the cache and that did it - so I was indeed being a tech idiot.
View Quote

No I just added all the parts to the form you weren't doing anything wrong but our previous web company didn't understand people would want parts too. They also just had 150 round belt... forgetting the bag part. I recognize your name on the form did I sell you your belt fed when I was here before?
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#23]

No I just added all the parts to the form you weren't doing anything wrong but our previous web company didn't understand people would want parts too. They also just had 150 round belt... forgetting the bag part. I recognize your name on the form did I sell you your belt fed when I was here before?
View All Quotes

You may well have!
I don't recall which forum it was. WeaponsGuild or Weaponeer or maybe here.

I bought it via pre-order which I very rarely do. I'm the weirdo who bought five thousand extra links to hand out and gin up more interest - because I love belt feed mechanisms and want it to be a commercial success.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:47:13 AM EDT
[#24]

You may well have!
I don't recall which forum it was. WeaponsGuild or Weaponeer or maybe here.

I bought it via pre-order which I very rarely do. I'm the weirdo who bought five thousand extra links to hand out and gin up more interest - because I love belt feed mechanisms and want it to be a commercial success.
View Quote

The amount of people who bough 10k links and 10 belt bags from the full auto crowd was pretty common lol
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 8:09:36 AM EDT
[#25]
The amount of people who bough 10k links and 10 belt bags from the full auto crowd was pretty common lol
View Quote

Fair point! I do hope I managed to get some extra interest going for those uppers though. I must have mailed off two hundred padded envelopes full of links to various people.

In any case - I look forward to hearing from you when parts/links are eventually available for purchase once again.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Any word on when the next batch of FM-9’s is due out?
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
Any word on when the next batch of FM-9’s is due out?
View Quote

No. I will post when we have information. Right now all I am pushing for is getting it on the calendar for 2024 but that is still just a discussion, nothing has been decided.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top