Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2023 1:55:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pomyluy]
I've got a couple .22 barrels that need front sight dovetails cut, and would appreciate any recommendations for gunsmiths who can do it right. (One barrel needs to be redone thanks to a canted front sight...) Just trying to get some Tech-Sights installed so that I've got a couple extra loaners for Appleseed events.

CPC can't do it, and Class 3 Machining is too booked to do it, and while CPA Rifles looked promising they stopped responding after a few emails.

Update: CPA responded and said they'll do it, will update with pics eventually.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#1]
For barrels without a dovetail, I have one of these.

Couple pillar files, a hacksaw, and some stones, you should be able to kick it out in an hour. For a canted front sight, easiest thing to do would be to cut back the barrel and go, if you have enough barrel. If not, you're limited to pulling and re-indexing the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By elmidgeto:
For barrels without a dovetail, I have one of these.

Couple pillar files, a hacksaw, and some stones, you should be able to kick it out in an hour. For a canted front sight, easiest thing to do would be to cut back the barrel and go, if you have enough barrel. If not, you're limited to pulling and re-indexing the barrel.
View Quote

I'm the kind of person who shouldn't be trusted with cutting tools, but I may give this a shot if I can't find a gunsmith in the next month or so. I've got a barrel stub to practice on, but there's no guaranteeing I won't end up with a couple newly canted front sights anyway.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I wish I could help you with a smith, but all mine have retired.

If you end up doing it yourself, take it slow. Be prepared to walk away if you get flustered or frustrated. The hardest part is going to be getting TDC marked. Once you get past the mental hurdle of, "I can do this", it's all downhill.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Any Smith can handle this.  If he can't, he's not a Smith.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:
Any Smith can handle this.  If he can't, he's not a Smith.
View Quote

You'd think, but no one I've reached out to will take it on. Latest guy (well-respected, and I know firsthand that he does excellent work) said it wouldn't be worth the time and effort to do because it'd end up costing more than a new barrel. Everyone seems to have specialized in more lucrative things like barrel threading these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top