Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2024 7:39:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OHBuckeyes]
I replaced the stock trigger on my 9-mil serial number registered M16a1 a couple of years ago and I have found that I can now assemble my uppers and lower even when the gun is on safe auto. Is this a design feature of the Geiselle or did I bend/break something in the auto sear? I remember very clearly that previously I was only able to connect upper and lower receiver when the safety wasn't in the auto position, but the safety can be in any position now for easy assembly.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:46:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Still shouldn't be able to assemble it in the auto position.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:40:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OHBuckeyes] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Glock63:
Still shouldn't be able to assemble it in the auto position.
View Quote

Yep meant auto, not safe.

Damn must have bent my auto sear, good thing I have a spare.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:18:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#3]
With the selector set to auto, if the hammer is not engaged on the autosear, you will be able to close the upper on the lower. Not so if the hammer is engaged on the autosear, that’s when the top of the autosear is rotated rearward to where it hits the bottom of the carrier when you try to close the upper.

I just pulled one of my SSF equipped M16 lowers and confirmed this.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
With the selector set to auto, if the hammer is not engaged on the autosear, you will be able to close the upper on the lower. Not so if the hammer is engaged on the autosear, that’s when the top of the autosear is rotated rearward to where it hits the bottom of the carrier when you try to close the upper.

I just pulled one of my SSF equipped M16 lowers and confirmed this.
View Quote

Thanks for confirming! It's been a couple of weeks but from I remember I had a dead trigger when testing out an under gassed 7.62x39 upper so in all likelihood the hammer wasn't resetting.

I'll test this weekend and provide an update. I don't remember manhandling this thing to the extent that I would have bent the sear enough to close the upper, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility either.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top