Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2024 8:26:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout]
Are folks finding Ginex run a bit larger in diameter making them harder to seat? Saw a utube vid indicating they do.

Last day to get them on sale at AR at $350/5k and not sure if I should pull the trigger. I'd like to load 45acp on a SDB progressive, but if they run large it doesn't make sense to get them and have to seat them using another method.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought 5000 last year and can't say I've had that issue with them.

However the cup is softer that CCI and Winchester so with identical powder charges and bullets some will look flattened some.  Hell, sometimes l can preflatten them some just installing them.  

Not a problem at all unless you're pushing max loads, I'd imagine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:13:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
They seat fine for me.
View Quote

Are you using the Ginex LPP with the SDB press for 45acp by any chance?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:48:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:
I bought 5000 last year and can't say I've had that issue with them.

However the cup is softer that CCI and Winchester so with identical powder charges and bullets some will look flattened some.  Hell, sometimes l can preflatten them some just installing them.  

Not a problem at all unless you're pushing max loads, I'd imagine.
View Quote

I actually find the small pistol primers to be hard, not soft.  Interesting.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:52:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#6]
SDB brass?
View Quote

Square Deal B press. Heard you might have one or two of those
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:36:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#7]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#8]
They seat fine for me.

Remember anyone can post on utube.
View Quote

You say a lot of wise things - that one is the wisest one for 2024 so far.  

So very very true.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:06:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I've tried them in SP, SR, and LR

Both SP and SR required much more force than "normal" to seat, to the point where I won't buy them again unless there is literally nothing else available.  The SP are also definitely not soft for me, though they all light with an adequate (stock springs) hit.

LR, I have barely used so jury is still out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I see AR still has these "on sale" and still a lot in inventory past the sale expiration date they advertised.

Makes me think:
1. Something isn't quite right with these primers. ie, sizing is off
2. $ 0.07ea shipped w/free hazmat is still too high of price. Maybe prices will come down further since inventory isn't moving.
3. Folks are stocked up or LPP aren't in demand at the moment.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:05:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Evintos] [#12]
Originally Posted By Blowout:
I see AR still has these "on sale" and still a lot in inventory past the sale expiration date they advertised.

Makes me think:
1. Something isn't quite right with these primers. ie, sizing is off
2. $ 0.07ea shipped w/free hazmat is still too high of price. Maybe prices will come down further since inventory isn't moving.
3. Folks are stocked up or LPP aren't in demand at the moment.

View Quote

They're on the upper end of SAAMI spec for diameter so they run "large" relatively speaking but still within specs. Compared to US made primers that are in the middle range of SAAMI spec, the Ginex will be harder to seat unless your primer pocket diameter is above SAAMI spec. People don't like hard to seat primers 🤷‍♂️. People also have issue with ignition when they don't get seated deep enough to where the primer contacts bottom because people freak out about the amount of resistance it takes to seat to begin with.

Ginex 5,5/3-P1 run 5.38mm (-0.05mm tol).

SAAMI spec for large pistol primers in metric - 5.334 to 5.385mm
SAAMI spec for large pistol primer pockets in metric - 5.296 to 5.334mm
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:28:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCNick] [#13]
Seriously, after loading these in a 6/750, I had to go back through and hand check them and hit a number of them with a hand priming tool to get them the rest of the way in.
More than one 1050 owner I've talked to had to adjust their seating depth.
Not worth the ~1c savings for me.
ymmv.

Edit... I just remembered I still have a partial tray of the SR.  Out of curiosity, measuring the diameter vs. Rem 7.5, the Ginex are only about half a thousandths bigger, which surprised me, but I guess it is enough to make a pretty significant difference in seating force.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Evintos:

They're on the upper end of SAAMI spec for diameter so they run "large" relatively speaking but still within specs. Compared to US made primers that are in the middle range of SAAMI spec, the Ginex will be harder to seat unless your primer pocket diameter is above SAAMI spec. People don't like hard to seat primers 🤷‍♂️. People also have issue with ignition when they don't get seated deep enough to where the primer contacts bottom because people freak out about the amount of resistance it takes to seat to begin with.

Ginex 5,5/3-P1 run 5.3mm (-0.05mm tol).

SAAMI spec for large pistol primers in metric - 5.334 to 5.385mm
SAAMI spec for large pistol primer pockets in metric - 5.296 to 5.334mm
View Quote

Thanks, this is very useful information!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DVCNick:
Seriously, after loading these in a 6/750, I had to go back through and hand check them and hit a number of them with a hand priming tool to get them the rest of the way in.
More than one 1050 owner I've talked to had to adjust their seating depth.
Not worth the ~1c savings for me.
ymmv.

Edit... I just remembered I still have a partial tray of the SR.  Out of curiosity, measuring the diameter vs. Rem 7.5, the Ginex are only about half a thousandths bigger, which surprised me, but I guess it is enough to make a pretty significant difference in seating force.
View Quote

Appreciate the confirmation that these run on the larger end of the scale. I'll hold off unless AR drops their pants to an irresistible price.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:56:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GarrettJ] [#16]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By GarrettJ:

While I don’t disagree, I haven’t seen any other LP primers at or below this price.

FWIW, I bought a sleeve of the Ginex LP maybe 18 months ago, and they cost almost 10¢ ea. And at that time pretty much everywhere was out of LP primers at any price.

I’ve used these primarily for .45 Colt & .45 ACP, and they have worked fine. They seat a little harder than others, but not excessively so. No issues on my end.
View Quote

Thanks for your input. I'm in a position where I've got enough LPP for a year or so, but don't want to get inventory too low being an election year, etc. Bullets are still the highest component cost.  

With primers at 7cents ea my total cost for 45acp reloads would be 18.4 cents/rd using hard cast bullets.

Primers old stock - 0.025
Primer Ginex - 0.07
Powder  Nitro100NF- 0.017
Bullet Lead hard cast - 0.097
Bullet premium FMJ - 0.20

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top