Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2023 10:11:14 AM EDT
So, I’ve got one of those cheap ass NC Star cheap golf ball launchers that’ll thread onto an AR15s muzzle threads.  I wanted to see how much farther a 7.62x51 blank would shoot golf balls, so I bored out the end and threaded it for Silencerco ASR Bravo adapter.  Those OD green German blanks can easily launch a golf ball about ½ mile.  M64 grenade blanks are a little more potent, but not by much and the plastic German ones are cheaper.  Accuracy leaves a lot to be desired, though I’ve found that the tighter the ball fits in the bore, the straighter it’ll fly.  So, what if one could make one of these with a rifled bore, to get some predictable accuracy, would the launcher be a Destructive Device as its over 50 caliber (1.686” or 42.82mm)?  I’m thinking no, not by its self, but maybe yes when it’s attached to a firearm. What do you all think?  The reality of the situation is getting a tube this size rifled would be prohibitively expensive as you’d have to pony up all the money up front just to have the tooling made.  A second possibility is to externally thread the launcher for a rifled 3-D printed metal extension (kinda like rifled choke for shooting sabot slugs in a shotgun).

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/723008086/ncstar+ar15+golf+ball+launcher
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#1]
IANAL, but if you are using ammo that is not self-contained, I don't think rifling matters.

There are rifled BP cannon that are not DDs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/921

(4) The term “destructive device” means—

(A) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas—
  (i) bomb,
  (ii) grenade,
  (iii) rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces,
  (iv) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce,
  (v) mine, or
  (vi) device similar to any of the devices described in the preceding clauses;

(B) any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell which the Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes) by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter; and

(C) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into any destructive device described in subparagraph (A) or (B) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.

The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 7684(2), 7685, or 7686 of title 10; or any other device which the Attorney General finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, is an antique, or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting, recreational or cultural purposes.

View Quote

I would argue that a muzzle loading (or breach loading) device designed and built for the accurate launching of golf balls meets the "The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon" clause, but my opinion isn't the one that matters.

Link Posted: 10/16/2023 9:58:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#3]
The golfball sub-caliber insert on a can canon is ridiculously fun

The #1 projectile launching system!! The Can Cannon from X Products!

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 2:07:47 AM EDT
[#4]
How about putting backspin onto the ball vs rifling? It would be more effective for a sphere, like a hop up on an airsoft gun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 6:19:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#5]
Just move the threaded mounting hole off-center, and it will spin the ball up big time.
That's how the Tromix launchers were made.

With the launcher installed on the barrel, so the entrance hole is at the bottom of the ball, it will give the ball a lot of back spin.
Hold the barrel level with the ground when firing, and the ball will streak out of the tube about 4 feet off the ground, dead straight for about 100 yards, then make a sharp upward turn to about 45 degrees and go out of sight.

If you put the hole in the center, it knuckle-balls it.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top