Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/3/2023 8:04:06 PM EDT
Got one of the MCX “Rattler” LT’s that Sig was showing off in the Gunstock video a couple of weeks ago. Haven’t seen any info on them here so I figured I would post a quick first impressions after I functioned tested it.

I got the 6.75 inch 300 blackout variant. This is my first MCX, but the features seem identical to the rest of the LT lineup.

Quick Range Report. Only fired 16 rounds thru it. It is in pistol form for now and I don’t plan on wasting much ammo in this configuration. Will be Form 1ing this thing asap.

-4 Rounds of S&B 150 Supers in 300blk PMAG (gas block in minus setting)
-I had 1 failure to feed and a failure to lock back. Obviously was not cycling the bolt all the way on minus setting with no suppressor.

-4 Rounds of AAC 125 grn Supers in 300blk PMAG (gas block in minus setting)
-I had no failures and it locked back on the last round.

-4 Rounds of Ammo Inc 110 grn Supers in 300blk PMAG (gas block in minus setting)
-I had no failures other than failing to lock back on the last round.

-4 Rounds of AAC 220 grn SUBs in 300blk Lancer (gas block in Plus setting)
-I had no failures and it kicked back on the last round.

Observations:
-I am happy with the function of it. I choose to use minus for supers and plus for subs unsuppressed. Thought process being I wanted to see how much the adjustable gas was doing for me. The fact that it short stroked on some supers but then ran the subs once the setting was switched tells me it is giving decent adjustments in gas. I am excited to try it out suppressed next time.

-The top rail goes all the way out to cover up the gas block, so I am not sure if any shorter barrel can go on this upper (like the 5.5 inch rattler barrel).

-Takedown pins are TIGHT. I couldn’t get them to budge with the pen my FFL had on the counter.

-Unlike the rattler this one does have a forward assist.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions. Pretty excited about this thing. Hopefully I don’t have any issues getting the flash hider off. I plan on changing it for my surefire 3p and using the RC2 762 on it next outing.

If someone smarter than me can post pics DM me and I’ll send it to you.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice .Where did you get one?I’ve been waiting and asking around about a release date but I’ve never gotten an answer.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 1:16:57 AM EDT
[#2]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I’m interested as well as to where you got one. Didn’t think they were released yet.

Was the Rattler LT in 5.56 available as well?
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 4:26:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Magsz18] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cops66:
I’m interested as well as to where you got one. Didn’t think they were released yet.

View Quote

I'm not sure if we are calling this a rattler but there are 9 inch Spear LT's available in 5.56.

Pics from the OP please.  That's all that matters.

In all seriousness.  I'm surprised that the gun ran supers in the minus setting without a can.  That seems counter intuitive to the design of the gas block.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Magsz18:

I'm not sure if we are calling this a rattler but there are 9 inch Spear LT's available in 5.56.

In all seriousness.  I'm surprised that the gun ran supers in the minus setting without a can.  That seems counter intuitive to the design of the gas block.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

5.5" 300blk Rattler worked with supers with no can in the - position. Not surprising they kept that, going to this new "Rattler".
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Zerlak:

5.5" 300blk Rattler worked with supers with no can in the - position. Not surprising they kept that, going to this new "Rattler".
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zerlak:

I purchased thru Proven Arms. They only had the 300 blackout versions available in the new shortest configuration.

My suspicion is that this may have been a special order they made with Sig. After looking back at the Gunstock pictures I noticed a couple of differences between what I have and the guns they were showing off. Those differences being that the one I got has a full size MCX pistol grip (not rattler size), a forward assist, and came with very nice KAC-like iron sights.

When I purchased this config was only available if you had first responder credentials. Not sure if that is still the case.

Lastly, I am dumb and don’t know how to post pics here. I am more than happy to send it to one of y’all if you want to post them up to the thread
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 10:04:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Griff411] [#8]
I sure like the look of the new Rattler...

(ETA: I'd like to see more pictures!)

Griff
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 10:49:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Sure:

Link Posted: 11/8/2023 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice. Now I need another Rattler, Dangit.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 3:05:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the photos!

Griff
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Looking forward to the 5.56 Rattler with the 7.75” barrel. Hopefully the barrels and handguard can be purchased separately.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Whered you pick it up from? Been looking at the 9” spear but id much rather get this.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone know if the barrel will be threaded for a suppressor??
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By swar15:
Nice. Now I need another Rattler, Dangit.
View Quote

Sigh. Yep...
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:22:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Jerad:
View Quote

Huh?

Only the 5.5 inch 5.56 rattler wasn't threaded for a can.  Is that what you're asking about on the LT variant?

The 7.62X39, 300 blackout and 7.75 inch barrels are threaded for suppressors.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Huh?

Only the 5.5 inch 5.56 rattler wasn't threaded for a can.  Is that what you're asking about on the LT variant?

View All Quotes

Huh?

It’s threaded at the standard 30 cal 5/8x24 thread pitch with a tapered barrel. Got my muzzle device off without too much trouble. Soaked muzzle device in room temp water for 12 hours and then in hot (not boiling) water for 2 hours. Used an 18” wrench and it twisted off with a little bit of force.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 12:41:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Huh?

View Quote

Sorry yes, since the barrel is longer I’m hoping they’ll thread the 556 version. I’ll keep my old rattler in 300 and buy the new one in 556.

I definitely could have been more clear…
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 1:54:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Sorry yes, since the barrel is longer I’m hoping they’ll thread the 556 version. I’ll keep my old rattler in 300 and buy the new one in 556.

I definitely could have been more clear…
View Quote

No worries bro!  We are all on the same page now!

Dumb question to the hive.

Are these 6.75 inch 300 blackout guns technically the new "Rattler"?  Or, are they just spear LT offerings?  I'm not sure what Sig is actually calling them as the product listings are simply calling them Sig Spear LT's.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#20]

No worries bro!  We are all on the same page now!

Dumb question to the hive.

Are these 6.75 inch 300 blackout guns technically the new "Rattler"?  Or, are they just spear LT offerings?  I'm not sure what Sig is actually calling them as the product listings are simply calling them Sig Spear LT's.
View Quote

These are technically the new Rattler
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been looking at these and have a few questions.

What's the difference between rattler and spear in the shorter configs? Handled a Spear 16" today and it was heavy IMO.

The new 'LT' in 5.56 (and maybe 300BO) is a fair amount lighter in weight? That's a big deal to me.

How is the recoil compared to a similar length AR pistol?

How many settings does the gas block offer? Will for sure want to use it suppressed.

I can't decide between 5.56 or 300BO. Have a Q Sugar Weasel in 300BO and only use it for a camper gun or traveling to remote places for work gun. Can't decide between 5.56 or 300BO but leaning 5.56 as I think I'd use it more. I load and buy ammo for 5.56 but do not load for 300BO , yet.

Is the price worth it over 5.56 AR SBR/pistol? Looking to sell and LMT rifle and maybe get a Sig.

Any other observations you care to share?
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 5:14:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Magsz18] [#22]
Originally Posted By DuneShoot:

What's the difference between rattler and spear in the shorter configs? Handled a Spear 16" today and it was heavy IMO.

The new 'LT' in 5.56 (and maybe 300BO) is a fair amount lighter in weight? That's a big deal to me.

How many settings does the gas block offer? Will for sure want to use it suppressed.

I can't decide between 5.56 or 300BO. Have a Q Sugar Weasel in 300BO and only use it for a camper gun or traveling to remote places for work gun. Can't decide between 5.56 or 300BO but leaning 5.56 as I think I'd use it more. I load and buy ammo for 5.56 but do not load for 300BO , yet.

Is the price worth it over 5.56 AR SBR/pistol? Looking to sell and LMT rifle and maybe get a Sig.

View Quote

The short spear is the new Rattler according to most posters.  Sig just sent out a mailer that leads me to believe there may be a few SKU's of the short guns as the gun pictured in the email had no forward assist.  The guns pictured in these threads have forward assists.  The gun in the email also had the old style rattler grip versus the sig spear LT grip.  Unless that matters to you, both guns should fundamentally be the same, minus those two details.

The shorter guns are going to be lighter since there is less barrel.  The Spear LT system as a whole is heavier than most AR15's.  The weight isn't a huge deal as the gun balances fairly well and the increased weight translates into a really nice shooting experience.

There are two gas block settings.  Suppressed and unsuppressed.  Depending on your can, the suppressor setting may or may not be necessary.

Either gun can be chambered in either caliber so you're good to go with just a barrel swap.  Buy whichever you think you will shoot more and you can always caliber convert down the road if you so choose.

As far as price?  Meh, only you can answer that.  You're paying a premium for a REALLY nice weapon system that SHOULD cost 1500 bucks.  In this day and age, paying 2k for a "premium" AR is pretty much par for the course.

Personally?  I love my Spear LT and it's my current go to rifle.  I'm going to push it as far as I can to see how long it will last.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#23]

The short spear is the new Rattler according to most posters.  Sig just sent out a mailer that leads me to believe there may be a few SKU's of the short guns as the gun pictured in the email had no forward assist.  The guns pictured in these threads have forward assists.  The gun in the email also had the old style rattler grip versus the sig spear LT grip.  Unless that matters to you, both guns should fundamentally be the same, minus those two details.

The shorter guns are going to be lighter since there is less barrel.  The Spear LT system as a whole is lighter than most AR15's.  The weight isn't a huge deal as the gun balances fairly well and the increased weight translates into a really nice shooting experience.

There are two gas block settings.  Suppressed and unsuppressed.  Depending on your can, the suppressor setting may or may not be necessary.

Either gun can be chambered in either caliber so you're good to go with just a barrel swap.  Buy whichever you think you will shoot more and you can always caliber convert down the road if you so choose.

As far as price?  Meh, only you can answer that.  You're paying a premium for a REALLY nice weapon system that SHOULD cost 1500 bucks.  In this day and age, paying 2k for a "premium" AR is pretty much par for the course.

Personally?  I love my Spear LT and it's my current go to rifle.  I'm going to push it as far as I can to see how long it will last.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#24]

The shorter guns are going to be lighter since there is less barrel.  The Spear LT system as a whole is lighter than most AR15's.  The weight isn't a huge deal as the gun balances fairly well and the increased weight translates into a really nice shooting experience.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DuneShoot:

Correction needed. The two 5.56 gasblock settings are unsuppressed/suppressed on the - and adverse on the + setting. The MCX has no dedicated suppressed setting.

For the 300blk gasblock, it's supersonic unsuppressed and supersonic suppressed on the -, subsonic suppressed or unsuppressed on the +.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#25]
so those are Sig sights? definitely thought KAC at first. will have to keep my eye out for some.

would love a pic without the rail. seems like a skinnier profile barrel then the Virtus... curious as to why that change, could've sworn they thickened it for a reason after the Gen 1's.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By kilofoxtrot:
so those are Sig sights? definitely thought KAC at first. will have to keep my eye out for some.

would love a pic without the rail. seems like a skinnier profile barrel then the Virtus... curious as to why that change, could've sworn they thickened it for a reason after the Gen 1's.
View Quote

Those are the Sig sights. They are very KAC like, and seem very nice and solid. Definitely happy with them. As far as barrel profile goes, I don’t have any other Gen of MCX to compare it to, but I would say medium profile. It definitely has some meat to it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Looking forward to the 5.56 Rattler with the 7.75” barrel. Hopefully the barrels and handguard can be purchased separately.
View Quote

Interesting…
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 2:23:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackhalo] [#28]
Thanks for this.

I had a 365 legion on backorder and decided to cancel it and probably go with this.

My 365 xl fills my carry role, so I think I want something to throw in a bag.

Prefer a traditional gas AR for the longer 556/300 blk stuff, so think this might fill a "gap" in my safe. I've downsized a lot to quality over quantity.

Now to find one in stock or put one on pre order.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Sig Rattler LT

Rattler LT 300 w/6.75" barrel

Rattler LT 5.56mm w/ 7.75"  barrel

Rattler LT 7.62x39 w/ 7.75" barrel

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#30]

If you enlarge the 5.56 pics, it appears to be a heavier profile barrel than the other Spear LT 5.56 barrels.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#31]

This is what the Rattler should have been all along. 5.5" is just too short without offering any substantive upside compared to these new 6.75" and 7.75" offerings. 300BLK wasn't a terrible option but you're leaving 25-35% more energy off the table by going with 5.5" vs 6.75" barrels, and you're unlikely to notice the difference in length or weight.  Additionally, 5.5" in 5.56 is a joke and means that you just like waisting money (Sig knows this, that's why they offered it for sale) and don't care whether it's an effective option. You're getting 9mm energy and CTE from the muzzle blast, sounds like a great deal.

On a more pointless note, the original Rattler was a fugly rifle. This one looks a lot sharper. That doesn't make it any better or more worthwhile, I just like looking at it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 1:25:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zerlak] [#32]
Originally Posted By Will816:

This is what the Rattler should have been all along. 5.5" is just too short without offering any substantive upside compared to these new 6.75" and 7.75" offerings. 300BLK wasn't a terrible option but you're leaving 25-35% more energy off the table by going with 5.5" vs 6.75" barrels, and you're unlikely to notice the difference in length or weight.  Additionally, 5.5" in 5.56 is a joke and means that you just like waisting money (Sig knows this, that's why they offered it for sale) and don't care whether it's an effective option. You're getting 9mm energy and CTE from the muzzle blast, sounds like a great deal.

On a more pointless note, the original Rattler was a fugly rifle. This one looks a lot sharper. That doesn't make it any better or more worthwhile, I just like looking at it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Will816:

While I agree with you on the weight, the size there is a difference. You can get a damned small bag for the 5.5" 300blk Rattler that a 6.75" will be just a bit too large for and you'd need to bump up to a larger more "backpack" or a larger more cumbersome sling bag. The 5.5" 5.56 setup was made for the military to train with blanks. If they hadn't sold it to the civilian market, you'd have people whining and complaining for not offering it to us as well.

That being said, I'd love one of the new Rattlers as well.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Is this the best "backpack" 300 option out there? I do want closer to a 7" barrel.

Guessing I'll be trying to find one in stock, unless there is a better piston option I'm missing.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Blackhalo:
Is this the best "backpack" 300 option out there? I do want closer to a 7" barrel.

Guessing I'll be trying to find one in stock, unless there is a better piston option I'm missing.
View Quote

I’m thinking that a 9” Spear lt would work great with a long rattler lt handguard and a chop down to 7.75”.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone know when the 5.56 Rattler LT will be hitting the streets?

I know the 300BLK is already out there.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Anyone know when the 5.56 Rattler LT will be hitting the streets?

I know the 300BLK is already out there.
View Quote

After the first of the year.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By coregon:

After the first of the year.
View Quote

Thanks Coregon
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

I’m thinking that a 9” Spear lt would work great with a long rattler lt handguard and a chop down to 7.75”.
View Quote

Yeah.

Blackhawk had the LT in stock for $2400. Might just grab a 9" spear

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm curious...Which gas valve is the 300BLK shipping with?  F03? F01?  Something new for the LT series?
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 1:36:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLOCKshooter] [#40]
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2023/12/04/new-sig-sauer-mcx-rattler-lt/

"The Rattler LT has the new handguard design seen on the MCX Spear LT. Obviously, though, it is a little shorter. It also incorporates the ambidextrous controls (including right-side bolt catch) seen on the other LT models.

Unlike older Rattler iterations, the Rattler LT has either a 6.75- or 7.75-inch barrel. The original model had a 5.5-inch barrel in .300 Blackout. There are also now three caliber options. Here is a quick breakdown of the current options:

5.56 NATO with a 6.5-inch barrel
.300 Blackout with a 6.5-inch barrel
7.62 39 with a 7.5-inch barrel
Both pistol and SBR models are available for each caliber option. It is also very possible that more colors, calibers, or barrel lengths could be added in the future. They are already showing up at dealers as of writing with a street price of around $2,700."

Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I went to the Sig Freedom day this past weekend and I had a blast.

I took their abridged rifle class and was able to shoot a 300 blackout Sig Spear with a 9 inch barrel.  They were running the guns on the plus setting with their 300 blackout specific SLH can.  The guns were quiet as hell and had a pretty nice recoil impulse.

I went over to where they had their production line of rifles and they had a 6.75 inch Rattler LT.  Once again, I was shooting 220 grains subs with their 300 blackout specific SLH can.  I actually thought that the Rattler was softer shooting than the 9 inch Spear.  I was pretty damn impressed.

I really, really like the gun.  A lot.  Enough to the point where I may sell my current 5.5 inch rattler to get into the 6.75 inch barrel.  Mostly for the ambi features but also because I simply liked the way the gun handled.  I'm also an FDE slut... :)
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:56:35 PM EDT
[#42]
I went to the Sig Freedom day this past weekend and I had a blast.

I took their abridged rifle class and was able to shoot a 300 blackout Sig Spear with a 9 inch barrel.  They were running the guns on the plus setting with their 300 blackout specific SLH can.  The guns were quiet as hell and had a pretty nice recoil impulse.

I went over to where they had their production line of rifles and they had a 6.75 inch Rattler LT.  Once again, I was shooting 220 grains subs with their 300 blackout specific SLH can.  I actually thought that the Rattler was softer shooting than the 9 inch Spear.  I was pretty damn impressed.

I really, really like the gun.  A lot.  Enough to the point where I may sell my current 5.5 inch rattler to get into the 6.75 inch barrel.  Mostly for the ambi features but also because I simply liked the way the gun handled.  I'm also an FDE slut... :)
View Quote

Are they selling the rattlers in FDE???
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Are they selling the rattlers in FDE???
View Quote

Yep!!!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#44]
I briefly considered getting a Rattler LT but seeing as how I already had a Spear LT lower, the choice seemed obvious. As a southpaw I was just glad to see an ambi bolt release finally added.

Link Posted: 12/11/2023 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#45]
I need those sights
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 3:56:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cops66] [#46]
Delete
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Any current updates on the 5.56?
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Any current updates on the 5.56?
View Quote

Midway shows an in stock date of 4/16 for the 556
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1026652569?pid=239065
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Headspacer:

Midway shows an in stock date of 4/16 for the 556
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1026652569?pid=239065
View Quote

Thank you.

So upper kits and barrels will be some time after that then.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm waiting on a backorder thru Proven Outfitters.... hope it comes soon! Congrats to OP!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top