Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2024 9:01:53 PM EDT
Won a M1 Carbine on Gunbroker. Seen the ad sunday night with 10 min left. Looked at the pics and it looked decent. A plus is that its a local (1hr away) shop. Put a bid in totally expecting that it would be outbid. Nope. Won it. 1st gun I bought on gunbroker.

Its a Universal M1 Carbine. From what I could find out looking up the serial number, its around a 63-64 model. Ad said its an early build with some USGI parts.

Picked it up today after work. Looks A LOT better in person than the photos did. Bolt doesnt wiggle like most I looked at in gun shows, Metal finish and bore is great and the stock only has a couple small dents in it. Even came with a sling. Now to find some ammo to go play with it. Came with 1 15 round mag.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:16:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Now find us some surplus ammo!  

Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#4]
So how much did you pay?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:47:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GrimesSU] [#5]
Any reason you bought a Universal?

If you had bought a USGI, it would have history at least.

I don't mean to bring you down if you plan to use it as a plinker, but hopefully you didn't pay too much.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:06:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GrimesSU:
Any reason you bought a Universal?

If you had bought a USGI, it would have history at least.

I don't mean to bring you down if you plan to use it as a plinker, but hopefully you didn't pay too much.
View Quote
More to take out and play with. Would had liked something from WWII era but those I've looked at went for way way more than this one was and were pretty beat. My fav uncle had one (no idea what brand) he hunted with when I was a kid. It disappeared along with a few other guns after he went into a senior home. He never married and no kids. We guessed one of his brothers/nephews helped themselves while they were cleaning his house out for sale after he went to the home. We have an idea of who took them just couldnt prove it. We only found his deer rifle and a single shot 20 ga.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:00:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TontoGoldstein] [#7]
Beware of any carbine ammo that comes in crappy little paper boxes marked 7.62mm.  The head stamp will be LC 52.  It is berdan primed.  The primer lacks sealant.

It is Chinese knock off of real LC 52 ammo.  It is prone to head separations and is to be treated has highly corrosive.  The M1 carbine was never designed to shoot corrosive ammo.  It's short gas tappet system was not designed to be removed and cleaned in the field.

Ergo, don't shoot it unless you are willing to get the proper tool to remove the tappet and clean immediately.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
Beware of any carbine ammo that comes in crappy little paper boxes marked 7.62mm.  The head stamp will be LC 52.  It is berdan primed.  The primer lacks sealant.

It is Chinese knock off of real LC 52 ammo.  It is prone to head separations and is to be treated has highly corrosive.  The M1 carbine was never designed to shoot corrosive ammo.  It's short gas tappet system was not designed to be removed and cleaned in the field.

Ergo, don't shoot it unless you are willing to get the proper tool to remove the tappet and clean immediately.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333347/M1_carbine_ammo_jpg-3190300.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks for the info. Most likely will be getting Remington branded. Seen it at Dunhams a while back and seen a couple other brands of it at other stores (guy at work has one and asked if I could find ammo for him).
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
So how much did you pay?
$775. Found other Universals for sale online at lunch ranging from $690-825. A few of them on Gunbroker that have BIN over $800. One is $1100.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Not to rain on your parade but that is a ridiculous high price for a universal.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
Been shooting that 25 years now.  No case issues and it's not corrosive.

It is berdan primed however.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:33:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerret_S] [#11]
Should have bought a real one because if you are like me you will always think about having the real deal.

I had a IAI one 20 years ago or more. Didn't scratch the itch, sold it, and years and years later got a real deal one. Luckily i kept the ammo and other things all that time.

One of the reasons I don't buy a GI looking new made 1911 even though I really want a 1911. I think I may get bored with it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:40:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Jerret_S:
Should have bought a real one because if you are like me you will always think about having the real deal.

View Quote
Doesnt mean I wont pick up another M1 that was made during WWII era. Most people here have more than 1 AR.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:26:50 AM EDT
[#13]
The early Universal carbines are not terrible.  No collector value, but may be a decent shooter.

Check to see if it is a single op rod or double op rod.

The better ones are single
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Jeremy2171:
Been shooting that 25 years now.  No case issues and it's not corrosive.

It is berdan primed however.
View Quote

I defer to your experience with it.  I had a head separation in my stock Underwood.  Given how little we know about this ammo, I stick by my contention that it is better to err on the side of caution.  Carbines are way too valuable to risk on an ammo intentionally mismarked from an unknown era of unknown ingredients of unknown quality by a country known for shoddy standards and outright lying.

As an aside.....dear Lord, man! How much of that stuff did you buy?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By stevec223:
The early Universal carbines are not terrible.  No collector value, but may be a decent shooter.

Check to see if it is a single op rod or double op rod.

The better ones are single
View Quote
Its early (s/n in the 20k's). Just wanted one to go play with at the range and takes me back to my 1st year deer hunting when my fav uncle was in the hunting party used his. It was the last year he hunted before he had to stop due to medical issues.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:29:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ggibbs] [#16]
Many congrats to you, you got one of the hidden gems in the M1 Carbine world. These Carbine's are perfect for those of us who are more interested in shooting than just owning. I've owned two 1st Generation Universal's (30XXX and 70XXX) and they both consistently shoot circles around the dozen or so GI Carbine's I've owned. The older of the two was mostly GI parts in the trigger and bolt group. The newer of the two took some tweaking to get the POI regulated to the sights, but the older one was on perfectly and like yours was very nice looking.

If there's any down side to them it's uninformed talking-out-of-the-ass comments from people who have never owned one let alone fired one. Case in point-

Originally Posted By captain127:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Good score OP!
I recently purchased an Auto Ordnance M1 carbine as a range toy so I don't put to much stress on my 6-44 dated Inland. IMHO, any commercial carbine yo can score for under $800,00 is a good buy.
Gary
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#18]
The early commercial ones were quite good. The later ones were boomamatics.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Well got a bonus last night. My brother had a Spanish Mauser that has feeding issues from the left side of the mag and wanted me to see if I can figure it out. Well last night he told me to keep it, he doesnt want it anymore.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Rob940:
Well got a bonus last night. My brother had a Spanish Mauser that has feeding issues from the left side of the mag and wanted me to see if I can figure it out. Well last night he told me to keep it, he doesnt want it anymore.
View Quote

So much potential with those Spanish Mausers!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:02:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tep0583] [#21]
 If there's any down side to them it's uninformed talking-out-of-the-ass comments from people who have never owned one let alone fired one. Case in point-

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By captain127:

Agreed. For an early Universal, that's a pretty good price. For a later one? I wouldn't do it, no.

EVERYTHING in the Carbine market has gotten expensive, even the clones.

Yeah, I SHOULD have bought a dozen, when they were inexpensive through the CMP. Those days are long gone.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#22]
As long as you don’t spend that kind of money on the later ones with the wretched skeleton hole op rod.  Those were trashy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#23]
There is a lot of Universal Carbine Hate, but for the early ones, they are good to go.  Mine has A lot of GI parts on it,  If you want a shooter, its great.  If your a collector not the best choice but the early ones are well made and not typically worn.  I've seen a lot of worn "GI" and rebuilt GI guns that never run as well as mine.

I have an early gun like 1965, that was Registered in the 60s as an M2 Carbine.  Its GI except barrel, and receiver (forged)

I changed the bolt parts (extractor, springs, ejector) shortly after buying it - zero malfunctions after I upgraded the bolt parts - thousands of rounds so far without a problem.  Mine runs on $10 KCI mags too.  Destroying the myth M2s only run on old USGI mags.

I know a few SOTs with conversion of assumed "better" "GI" guns that can't get theirs to run as well as mine despite replacing most parts.  

Go ahead and hate Universals, that keep the price low, I buy the early ones for spare parts!!!  The later ones I don't have much love for either, but they seem to work for most casual commercial shooters.

Universal M2 Carbine with M1A1 folding stock

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/wWKa17yUtHE?feature=share

https://www.youtube.behttps://wWKa17yUtHE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top