Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2023 10:36:45 AM EDT
Is Greek M8 50 BMG good ammo- Would LC (positively marked as NATO Spec) be preferable given a choice- asking for a friend...
Also, is the brass good quality for reloading?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 4:52:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mk-211] [#1]
What's the date?

It could have berdan primers not boxer (preferred).

LC would be the best choice, as the older brass is good to reload. A lot of it through the 90's - early 00's wasn't very good for reloading.

Most of the used brass came from being fired out of M2's, which usually stretched it beyond being useful.

Can you post a pic of the headstamp?
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:22:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronnie_B] [#2]
There is a guy locally that has the Greek ammo for sale- I can buy that or order some LC. Don't know if the Greek is boxer or berdan primed, so I will go with the sure bet and get the LC which is recent production, definitely boxer primed (I have 50BMG dies/press, etc.).

Thanks very much for your help!

Ronnie
https://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=modify&b=6&f=3&t=546328&tl=Greek-M8-50-BMG-quality&r=5989290&page=1#
ETA- I have sized LC M2-fired brass in 3 stages, lowering the die 1 turn at a time. I start off by backing the die out 2 turns and size the brass. Back the brass out just enough to turn the die and lower it 1 turn then size again. Repeat this again, so the brass is sized in 3 steps total. After that withdraw the brass to size the ID of the neck. I then anneal the necks before loading.

Sizing this way takes a lot less effort and is probably better for the press linkage. I will probably use virgin brass/fired in my gun from now on to make life easier.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:10:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nikonov] [#3]
If its like the 30-06/M2 ball, greek HXP is decent, boxer primed and good brass. Ive shot and reloaded both the 30-06 and 7.62 M80 ball greek surplus and have no complaints. I know there was some greek .303 floating around and folks have chimed in that stuff was decent too.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top