Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Griffin Recce 5? (Page 1 of 4)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/16/2024 12:56:49 PM EDT
Looking at one to pair with a 12.5” upper. Never owned one and never heard one in person. Who has one and how do you like it?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got the Mod 4 version, it beat the pants off of my Turbo K, Optimus Micro, and Surge on a 5.56 from shooter's perspective.  I greatly prefer my taper Explorr 224 due to the much lighter weight while still sounding about the same.  I have not fired them on a 12" barrel, though.  Lots of good cans out there these days, good luck.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]
If I were buying now I'd probably go with the Explorr. That being said, I have a recce 5 and I love it. It gets moved around now and then, but mostly lives on an 11.5. Does a great job on there and while being built like a tank, it balances incredibly good on a gun that short. I'd gladly buy another one. I can't see how you'd be disappointed with it. On something like a 16"+ a lighter can would probably make a noticeable difference. On a 12.5, the weight really isn't a big deal.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:43:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: deerranger] [#3]
I picked up my Reece 5 last November after waiting 8 months.
I screwed it onto a 11.5" upper and there it sits, I have not even fired it yet, I take the other cans out all the time but this one, new can on a new never fired upper and I just never take it out.
Nice looking can is about all I can tell ya for now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By deerranger:
I picked up my Reece 5 last November after waiting 8 months.
I screwed it onto a 11.5" upper and there it sits, I have not even fired it yet, I take the other cans out all the time but this one, new can on a new never fired upper and I just never take it out.
Nice looking can is about all I can tell ya for now.
View Quote

What the hell is wrong with you? Shoot that shit
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Stowe:

What the hell is wrong with you? Shoot that shit
View Quote

I know, I know, I feel bad about it.
I may or may not have bought it for beaver eradication without waking the neighbors,  by the time it arrived I was out of beavers, could not wait.
Snapping turtles will be out soon though, it may or may not get some use for them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're just lacking things to shoot, I'll mail you some empty beer cans. It's a great suppressor. I think you're doing yourself a great injustice by letting it collect dust.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:05:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: deerranger] [#7]
This thread has something tingling on the back of my neck, maybe I can get it out tomorrow, got to sight it in.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Great can. I have it and the K. Get the K
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Would you consider the Recce 5k?

I've shot both the recce and the recce 5k and the 5k had about 90% of the sound performance of the 5 but with a much lighter weight and seemingly less backpressure.

I can't recall the host but I want to say I shot them on an 11.5 and MAYBE a 12.5.  I can't remember what the build was during the demo.

Either way, both are fantastic cans and I think you'd be really pleased with either.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Recce 5 Mod 3.   It lives on a 16" DMR'ish clone.

It does a good job.   It was a little quieter than the Gemtech Trek it replaced and has less back pressure.

The taper mount system is retard proof.   No latches, pawls or springs to wear out.    No POI shift after removing and then reinstalling the can.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#11]
anyone compare this to the Polonium?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve got a Recce5 Mod4 that lives on a 16” mid length.  
Sounds great, isn’t too gassy, and can take a lot of abuse.  Perfect for an sbr.
Buy with confidence!
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#13]
@Green0
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:02:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SERVED_USMC] [#14]
Originally Posted By Magsz18:

I've shot both the recce and the recce 5k and the 5k had about 90% of the sound performance of the 5 but with a much lighter weight and seemingly less backpressure.

I can't recall the host but I want to say I shot them on an 11.5 and MAYBE a 12.5.  I can't remember what the build was during the demo.

Either way, both are fantastic cans and I think you'd be really pleased with either.
View Quote

Yeah, I’m not dead set on it, it’s just one of the options at the local place I get a discount at and the recce seems to be a solid contender.

I’ve already got a few others, YHM phantom and Turbo, M4-2000 to name a few. Just looking at options.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:59:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#15]
Originally Posted By Stowe:
If I were buying now I'd probably go with the Explorr. That being said, I have a recce 5 and I love it. It gets moved around now and then, but mostly lives on an 11.5. Does a great job on there and while being built like a tank, it balances incredibly good on a gun that short. I'd gladly buy another one. I can't see how you'd be disappointed with it. On something like a 16"+ a lighter can would probably make a noticeable difference. On a 12.5, the weight really isn't a big deal.
View Quote
Same here. I use my Recces on short SBRs (the R5 Mod4 on a 10.5" and the 5K on 11.5 and 12.5"), mostly due to the weight and size. The Explorr goes on 14.5" and longer barreled guns. I love all three cans.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:05:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#16]
Originally Posted By ar15joe:
anyone compare this to the Polonium?
View Quote
Yeah, I have a full size Polo too. Both sound good from a shooter's perspective (I couldn't care less how my cans sound to others, they aren't paying for my tax stamp ), but the Polo has higher back pressure.  The Polo is exactly an oz heavier with a Plan A mount. I think they are equally durable.

I use the Recces on untuned hosts, but I only use the Polo on SBRs with AGBs.  

The only advantage the Polo has is it's hub threaded.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:34:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#17]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Magsz18:

View Quote

Per griffins specs the 5k is 13.7 ounces and the recce 5 is 14.5 ounces. I don't consider 0.8 ounces much lighter. Is there something I'm missing?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:48:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#19]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:58:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#20]
I'm a happy recce 5 owner.  I liked it so much, I bought 2 more, as well as a couple recce 7.
I run them on mostly SBR/pistol sized guns.  Haven't had any issues yet.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Green0:
I don't know if the 14.5 is correct.  The Recce 5 may weigh 15.2 ounces?  The people maintaining the pages are in the marketing department and there are sometimes things they miss.  They also work 45 hours a week and are so busy they never get it all done. We also are not averse to something like making the wall thickness of the apertures only in the can more thick and adding some odd number of less than an ounce to a model to do something for durability that has no impact to sound and not calling that a "mod 5" because it's not a significant change.  It's not always possible for them to follow the minutia of details that go into product micro-development.

The taper mount RI interface (rapid index) was I believe developed toward the end of mod 3 units, and wasn't advertised until the Mod 4 was released for another example of unpublished micro-development.  It was forward and backward compatible so it reduced mounting time by 50%, but had no adverse effects to anyone.  

The Recce 5K spec sounds like actual weight of the currently sold model.   The Recce 5K has a heavier front cap, and its core is not just laser welded, but also laser welded into the tube.  The Recce 5K is down some tube length and 1 baffle vs the Recce 5.
View Quote

Thank you very much for the info. I confirmed with my guy it is the newest model so I’ll take that into consideration.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#22]
What is the difference between the Explorr and Recce 5 other than weight?  Why one over the other?  Been looking at these two.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I have an Explorr pending since I plan to use it on a 16" AR. When I get around to doing an SBR AR-15, I will most likely get a Recce 5K for it. I don't think you can go wrong with any choice. If you favor a lighter weight, Explorr. If you want a hard use, durable can I would go the Recce 5/5K route.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:33:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Exetik] [#24]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
What is the difference between the Explorr and Recce 5 other than weight?  Why one over the other?  Been looking at these two.
View Quote

I won't speak for @Green0 here but the biggest difference that I am aware of when I researched these cans was the Recce 5/5k has a tube over the baffle stack. The Explorr is tubeless which accounts for the reduction in weight. No doubt Green0 will fill in the other blanks and add corrections as needed.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Im a Surefire SOCOM guy. Got 4 of them.
Tried the Reece 5 last year and fell in love. Really Nice can.
Mine sits on a PWS Sbr.
Tried and true suppressor. Would buy it again.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:08:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#26]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm looking to certify a 5k Monday and hopefully have it by the weekend hahaha. Little over $700 with sales tax, stamp, and the Griffin deal so I don't see how you could go wrong.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Tubeless in the Explorr, tube over in Recce like the poster above said, the Explorr is maybe a little lighter on backpressure.  The tube over system with the redundant walls and extra weight takes a little more abuse.  

The Explorr would be a good practical use can (heating and cooling rapidly and strong enough for any realistic duty purpose) for someone who has been around and has enough experience to know what he needs, and the Recce system is more tolerant of guys doing things that are less practically oriented and might involve beating on the can at times just for the hell of it.

There are distinctly different user groups.  We showed HRT and Dual lok 5 cans to a large swat team fully expecting them to want the HRT cans, and they wanted the lighter weight Dual Lok 5 system, because they all knew that calls didn't involve a lot of shooting, but that weight creates fatigue, so lighter weight was the emphasis of that group.  We have two open solicitations right now (a chance to bid for possible selection), one for 1000 cans, and one for 2000 that involve a government and a government agency, and require pin and weld cans.  <I'm relating surprise here, because I wouldn't have predicted that.
View Quote

I’m waiting on approval for a Recce 5k right now, but wanted to grab one more can from you guys.

My LGS had some Dual Lok 7’s that really caught my eye. They said they could also order a DL5.

Can you tell me why I would want to go with an Explorr over a DL5/7?

Is it just a matter of whether I want taper, Hub, or Dual Lok mounting system?

I know the Recce 5k I’m waiting on is taper mount, but I generally keep suppressors on their dedicated hosts.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't think you can go wrong with any Griffin cans.

My first Griffin can was the Dual Lok 5 and I found that i love the Dual Lok mounting system. So I switched all of my HUB cans (all 15 of them) from Plan B to Dual Lok. I then purchased the HRT 556 based on feedback here and after gathering information on the can from Austin who was gracious enough to answer all my questions. The DL5 and HRT 556 are two of my favorite 556 cans, possibly my favorite, and I have invested heavily in their mounting system.

The Explorr 224 will be my next can. I recommended it to a buddy of mine and he just got it in and he loves it.

Griffin cans don't get the love and attention that they deserve. A lot of folks are missing out.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:07:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#30]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:59:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#31]
The Recce 5 was our best selling suppressor model last year.  In other words it is popular.  Popularity in this case is probably due to the fact that in price to performance it delivers a strong value.
View Quote
I agree. Not only are the Recce suppressors a great value, but I think that price point is a sweet spot. I think a lot of people are driven away by suppressors costing more than $600.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I just put first-rounds-downrange on an HRT5 today. Stock 6920 upper - it sounded pretty nice, and I don't recall any noticeable amount of gas in my face. I'm going to hold judgement till I run some taper mount cans, but so far I like the Dual Lock system.

I'm pretty sure I brought a Griffin 11.5" barreled upper with me, and that it's setup for a Recce 5k. I'll add comments after I've had a chance to shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:02:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm hoping to be able to certify for 3 Griffin suppressors next week, an HRT 556, Dual-lok 7, and a PSR 7.  I'm seriously considering one more suppressor, to dedicate to my 6.75" MCX .300BO.  I want something light weight, so if I can figure out if another Griffin fits the bill, I'll probably go that route.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:03:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#34]
Originally Posted By KeepTheChnge:

Per griffins specs the 5k is 13.7 ounces and the recce 5 is 14.5 ounces. I don't consider 0.8 ounces much lighter. Is there something I'm missing?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I don't know if the 14.5 is correct.  The Recce 5 may weigh 15.2 ounces?

I record the weight of all my cans when I first get them. Measured brand new right out of the boxes, I got 15 3/8oz for my Recce 5 and 14 1/4oz for my Recce 5K.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#35]
We have two open solicitations right now (a chance to bid for possible selection), one for 1000 cans, and one for 2000 that involve a government and a government agency, and require pin and weld cans.  
View Quote

That's interesting. Maybe they are trying to idiot proof them?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:45:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I have two explorr's, one taper and one hub. I wish the dual-lok was offered in hub-I much prefer taper to locking collars. I'd snatch up a 'taper 5' (playing on dual-lok 5) in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:16:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Amish_Bill] [#37]
Originally Posted By Dr_Nimslow:
... to dedicate to my 6.75" MCX .300BO.  I want something light weight, so if I can figure out if another Griffin fits the bill, I'll probably go that route.
View Quote
I haven't checked the weight, but the GP-7 might fit your need. I have the idea of using one to one-stamp a. 8.5" blackout. (pre-drilled for a P&W)
Does 15.3oz qualify as light?
GP-7 Linky

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:

I record the weight of all my cans when I first get them. Measured brand new right out of the boxes, I got 15 3/8oz for my Recce 5 and 14 1/4oz for my Recce 5K.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I don't know if the 14.5 is correct.  The Recce 5 may weigh 15.2 ounces?

Thanks! Still much lighter than the Specwar 762 I rotate between my bolt gun and 11.5" AR lol. Supressors great, but man that thing is an anchor. Here's hoping for speedy approval. Ordered 3/15.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#39]
my RECCE5 sits on a 11.5" SBR with AGB.  Very quiet, virtually zero forward signature.  Outperforms all the other cans in my group of buds (Surefire, Rugged, YHM, Dead Air).

I like it WELL ENOUGH, SORT OF considering a 5K.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:
I have two explorr's, one taper and one hub. I wish the dual-lok was offered in hub-I much prefer taper to locking collars. I'd snatch up a 'taper 5' (playing on dual-lok 5) in a heartbeat.
View Quote
I, too, really like the simple Taper Mounts.

As far as the Recce, I’ve got a buddy with older models; and they sound great. I’ve got some other Griffin cans that are internally same/similar to the Recce series, in  both legacy and Eco-Flo generations. They sound great, both to shooter and observer. Among the best in their size categories. Same with flash suppression.

As others have said, the Explorr would be lighter.

You may be eligible for their direct .mil discount, if you're not aware.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#41]
I agree. Not only are the Recce suppressors a great value, but I think that price point is a sweet spot. I think a lot of people are driven away by suppressors costing more than $600.
View Quote

MSRP and street price are wildly different.  I bought 5 griffin cans and came out to $2,315.90 after shipping.  Recce5 were $436, recce7 were $514, and gp-5 was $350.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

MSRP and street price are wildly different.  I bought 5 griffin cans and came out to $2,315.90 after shipping.  Recce5 were $436, recce7 were $514, and gp-5 was $350.
View Quote

Those are some good prices, where did you get those?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#43]
The Goldilocks Suppressor? Griffin Recce 5K Review

The Recce 5K is an excellent can, especially considering the price. It’s lower backpressure than a traditional can, but not as low as a true flow-through. I shot it without earpro on a 14.5 outdoors and didn’t have any discomfort or ringing in the ears afterwards. If you’re in the Plan A ecosystem already then it’s definitely a no brainer.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a Gen 2 (I think) it's decent. Newer versions are better at back pressure and sound.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#45]
The HRT has the Recce stack, but with a super badass mounting system.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:09:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#46]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:19:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#47]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#48]
I just bought an explorr 224.  I will probably buy a REECE 5 or 5K but I need to figure out which one first.  

I also see an explorr 300 down the road.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#49]
@Green0 I'd probably do a taper-5 over a hub-5 to compliment the dual-lok cans. If you guys go that route I call dibs on serial number 1.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:43:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#50]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:

Those are some good prices, where did you get those?
View Quote

gunzonedeals.  You have to do the usual add to cart or email for price to get the <MSRP price.

For the guys talking about backpressure, even the recce5 is fairly low.  For example, I bought the suppressor gas plug for my Aug, cause thats what people said to do.  With the recce5, there is not enough gas to cycle the gun on the suppressor setting.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Griffin Recce 5? (Page 1 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top