Site Notices
Griffin Recce 5? (Page 4 of 4)
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:02:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kirbykid25] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Green0:

There are no not recommended mounts for the can, but if you want to improve wear on like a 10.3” gun, a short brake like minimalist two port should help.

View Quote

Would a paladin brake be a good choice?  Or does that extra space in front of the brake before the blast baffle help with not focusing the blast on the first baffle?  I would think if the minimalist brake acts as a sacrificial baffle, then in theory would the paladin twice as good?  Or like I mentioned, is that free space(blast chamber) a good thing?

And after looking the tactical comp over, the way it’s made, could you say it even has a sort or sacrificial baffle?(the end cap part that’s welded on the end)

Just thinking out loud

And I have to say, I love the fact that the guy behind the suppressors were discussing, comes on here to answer our questions, Green0, your reply’s and info are greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:11:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#2]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The Tactical Comp would definitely have a sacrificial baffle effect, because it has a noticeable brake/comp effect. I’d be comfortable with .25”, personally, for most uses. It’s a good performing comp in it’s size category.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:27:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nomad221] [#4]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
The Tactical Comp would definitely have a sacrificial baffle effect, because it has a noticeable brake/comp effect. I’d be comfortable with .25”, personally, for most uses. It’s a good performing comp in it’s size category.
View Quote

Is this the comp you are referring to ?

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#5]
It is.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
It is.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 4:44:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SERVED_USMC] [#7]
Picked it up earlier this week. Haven’t shot it yet since I’m ordering a 12.5” upper specifically for it and still researching gas block/ gas tube options.

Appreciate the input fellas.

ETA- I run superlative arms adjustable blocks on all of my suppressed rifles. Tune them and forget about it but have it to make sure you always have access it an Allen wrench is kind of a pain in the ass in a grab and go situation. Running a tube intended to run suppressed all the time limits you in the event the can is damaged or otherwise can’t be used.

Open to suggestions for those still following the thread.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:
Picked it up earlier this week. Haven’t shot it yet since I’m ordering a 12.5” upper specifically for it and still researching gas block/ gas tube options.

Appreciate the input fellas.

ETA- I run superlative arms adjustable blocks on all of my suppressed rifles. Tune them and forget about it but have it to make sure you always have access it an Allen wrench is kind of a pain in the ass in a grab and go situation. Running a tube intended to run suppressed all the time limits you in the event the can is damaged or otherwise can’t be used.

Open to suggestions for those still following the thread.
View Quote

I think the Innovative Arms WAR receiver is ingenious and underrated. It utilizes a spring-loaded and semi-locking rotating switch to give you a binary between suppressed/unsuppressed (branded the "Kill Switch"). I use one with a 12.5" carbine barrel. The usual major caveat to this is finding what gas port size you need. The reason the gas port has to be modified is because the WAR uses a "proprietary" (cut) gas tube to interface with the Kill Switch.

The good news is that I've done a lot of trial-and-error with finding the correct port size for a WAR 12.5" carbine that ensures reliability on the unsuppressed setting in cold weather with brass-cased .223 while still being relatively soft shooting. I had a smith use a quality 2.25mm bit to drill the final port size, equating to a port somewhere between 0.0886" and 0.089."

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#10]
the G 3g triggers are specifically marketed as gaming/competition triggers (not duty) because of the lighter springs and chances of light strikes. Use the heavier spring, or swap triggers to away from the 3G triggers. SSP is nice for a single stage, or SSAE(X) is a great 2 stage.

Also, I'm curious what is steering people away from the Explorr towards the recce 5 and 5k? is it the "durability" aspect of it?

I've been shooting the crap out of my explorr (including some full auto). 9.5oz is crazy light. Left handed shooter and with a 13.9 criterion barrel, no complaints about gas.

I can't see the appeal of a near identical (but 14oz) can when you can get it at 9.5oz.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DDS87:

I think the Innovative Arms WAR receiver is ingenious and underrated. It utilizes a spring-loaded and semi-locking rotating switch to give you a binary between suppressed/unsuppressed (branded the "Kill Switch"). I use one with a 12.5" carbine barrel. The usual major caveat to this is finding what gas port size you need. The reason the gas port has to be modified is because the WAR uses a "proprietary" (cut) gas tube to interface with the Kill Switch.

The good news is that I've done a lot of trial-and-error with finding the correct port size for a WAR 12.5" carbine that ensures reliability on the unsuppressed setting in cold weather with brass-cased .223 while still being relatively soft shooting. I had a smith use a quality 2.25mm bit to drill the final port size, equating to a port somewhere between 0.0886" and 0.089."

View Quote

I have one on a 16” carbine and a 10.5” SBR.  The 10.5” is an FN CHF barrel with carbine gas; unsure the port size.  I think I had trouble with some lighter charged handloads but it’s been a while…has fed everything I’ve shot through it the last few years no problems.  Geissele Super42 H1 buffer

I like the ease of the system but I did order spare gas tubes to have on hand just in case

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By IHTFP08:
Also, I'm curious what is steering people away from the Explorr towards the recce 5 and 5k? is it the "durability" aspect of it?
View Quote
I wasn't steered away, because I did buy two Explorrs as well (both 224 and 300), but I bought the Recce 5 and 5k based on both durability and price mostly, with great reviews from many owners of the Recce 5 Mod4 also an aspect in my decision.

Both my Recces were also bought during "free tax stamp" sales. For the price, the Recces are a great value. I basically consider them my beater SBR cans, though I don't intentionally abuse them. I see the Recces as a better Sandman.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#14]
@Green0, any chance of a Recce 7k?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:39:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#15]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I went with the Recce line for most of my 5.56/.223 needs because I needed to to work on anything from my shorty AR's that my son and daughter like to blast away with to a bolt action.  I know it is heavier than some in its class but suppression, durability and versatility are all good (at least I feel so).  I have some other 5.56 cans that I got either for specific rifles or that were basically too cheap to pass up but the Recces I have get most of the use.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:36:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#17]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#18]

The Glock motto (or one of their marketing mottos used) is confidence to live your life.   I think the more durable products inspire more confidence and confidence can be a form of value to some people and that's one potential way for the product to be attractive.

The military takes things like that to extremes and they are still ordering 22 ounce NT4's today.  At 22 ounces, it would be hard not to make a durable 5.56mm can 6.4" long.  That is basically "throwing weight at a design with reckless abandon" territory.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By p230:
I went with the Recce line for most of my 5.56/.223 needs because I needed to to work on anything from my shorty AR's that my son and daughter like to blast away with to a bolt action.  I know it is heavier than some in its class but suppression, durability and versatility are all good (at least I feel so).  I have some other 5.56 cans that I got either for specific rifles or that were basically too cheap to pass up but the Recces I have get most of the use.

The Glock motto (or one of their marketing mottos used) is confidence to live your life.   I think the more durable products inspire more confidence and confidence can be a form of value to some people and that's one potential way for the product to be attractive.

The military takes things like that to extremes and they are still ordering 22 ounce NT4's today.  At 22 ounces, it would be hard not to make a durable 5.56mm can 6.4" long.  That is basically "throwing weight at a design with reckless abandon" territory.

The M4SD line feels like it will outlive my entire lineage...
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:

The M4SD line feels like it will outlive my entire lineage...
View Quote
It can take a lot of abuse, particularly the Eco Flo models.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By IHTFP08:Also, I'm curious what is steering people away from the Explorr towards the recce 5 and 5k? is it the "durability" aspect of it?

I've been shooting the crap out of my explorr (including some full auto). 9.5oz is crazy light. Left handed shooter and with a 13.9 criterion barrel, no complaints about gas.

I can't see the appeal of a near identical (but 14oz) can when you can get it at 9.5oz.
View Quote

When looking at the Explorr and 5K, the 5K appeals to me more because it has more emphasis on greater flash suppression and lower back-pressure.

The listed weights of the Explorr are 11.6oz for the taper version and 11oz for the Utility version with Plan A installed. Not a huge difference over 9.5oz (advertised tube body alone is 9.1oz), but neither is the advertised 13.7oz of the 5K over 11 or 11.6oz. I don't have any concerns over the durability of the Explorrs, I don't practice relentless suppressive fire drills.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:13:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ishootglocks] [#21]
Just received an approval in 28 hours from certifying for the Recce5.

I'm waiting on the second muzzle device and shim set to arrive so I can get muzzle devices installed on both of the ARs I plan to use this suppressor with. Think tracking showed delivery by this weekend but I have 2-3 weeks at best anyways before will actually receive the Rec5 (waiting on 4473 now 4473 completed).
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Griffin Recce 5? (Page 4 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top