Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2024 12:11:37 AM EDT
I picked up this 1942 Springfield at the gunshow in Columbia a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't really looking for one at the time, I just kind of ran into it.

I took it to the range today. Very smooth shooter and pretty accurate at 50 meters. It's all Springfield except the trigger pack which is IHC. There are no import marks and the metal is immaculate. It has a 1954 SA barrel that measures a 1 at the muzzle.

That ping sure puts a smile on my face.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:15:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn that’s a nice looking rifle. Good score.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:02:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice find. I can see where the stock has been sanded if you look at the heel of the receiver how it overlaps the stock so definitely some materials was taken off there.  Those inspection stamps are a little bit too deep and clear in my mind especially the cross cannon ordinance bombs those look to me like they're definitely reproduction stamps.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:08:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks good, how much if you don't mind me asking. Most gun show Garands I've seen lately are recent CMP guns people are flipping at higher prices
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Gorgeous, miss mine should have never sold fuck me
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice. Good job OP.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Those things never fail to impress.  I can reliably bust fridge size rocks way out there.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice rifle OP.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Does it have a seriffed capital "P" in a circle on the wrist? Did you buy it from Ike at the front of the 2nd bldg?

Anyway, congrats and buy more clips and ammo. Don't use commercial hunting ammo in it. make sure to use 30-06 loaded to M2 ball pressures and with about 150 grain bullets. High pressure 30-06 ammo intended for hunters bolt guns will eventually cause damage to an M1. I would also have a knowledgeable gunsmith check headspace on the barrel to bolt lockup, with GO and NoGo 30-06 gauges.
IM me if you have questions.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AZ_Gun_Nut:
Nice find. I can see where the stock has been sanded if you look at the heel of the receiver how it overlaps the stock so definitely some materials was taken off there.  Those inspection stamps are a little bit too deep and clear in my mind especially the cross cannon ordinance bombs those look to me like they're definitely reproduction stamps.
View Quote

Yeah, they do look suspect but I don't really care. I bought it to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:24:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DonFlynn:
Looks good, how much if you don't mind me asking. Most gun show Garands I've seen lately are recent CMP guns people are flipping at higher prices
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
Nice!

Replace the op rod spring. Cheap insurance.
View Quote

First thing I did.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Sanlanman:
Does it have a seriffed capital "P" in a circle on the wrist? Did you buy it from Ike at the front of the 2nd bldg?
View Quote

No and no.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By panzersergeant:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nice looking gun and a great price
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:05:12 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

Nice
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Good score.  
I agree, the stock cartouches are fake.  The lock bar sight looks repro, the stamping is too deep and Parkerizing is too dark.
You didn’t pay a premium price and looks like a good shooter.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

Nice looking and likely nice shooting Garand at a good price. What's not to like?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#18]
That is a good price for a M1 rifle in that condition. Good score.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Lemmonhead:
Good score.  
I agree, the stock cartouches are fake.  The lock bar sight looks repro, the stamping is too deep and Parkerizing is too dark.
You didn’t pay a premium price and looks like a good shooter.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll trade ya Springfield trigger pack for the ihc...
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
I'll trade ya Springfield trigger pack for the ihc...
View Quote

This ain't the EE, pal.

Plus I think I'll keep it in case I come across an IHC some time.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:23:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice rifle. I'd ditch the stock. Keep an eye out at DuPage trading and get one of their unmarked stocks. Won't cost that much and won't have the fake marks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top