Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2024 3:24:57 PM EDT
Question for y'all since I can't seem to find a good answer on the net.

How do I repair this broken off tab that sits under the front barrel band cap on a 1903/14 Greek Mannlicher?  Or is this a case of replace if possible?

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
A replacement might be difficult to find, but that's the route I would go first.

How was the tab held on to the handguard? Most have a rivet or two. Brass rivets look pretty but they all corrode given enough time. Push comes to shove, degreasing that section of wood and gluing or epoxying a new tab on might be the trick.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:38:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bayonet_shrew] [#2]
The tab is normally a thin, integral part of the wooden handguard.  I'm not sure what the handguard exact part name is, so i'm having difficulty searching for it.  I hadn't thought of riveting a tab in.  How would that work?  Would a conforming row of toothpicks epoxied in place work?  If anything, I can always just wire clamp the handguard in place.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Shape a curved piece of wood then inlet the existing handguard to allow laminating the curved piece in place with Acroglass. It will require tedious wood working skill. If done properly it will be unnoticeable and as strong or stronger than original.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#4]
You're going to have to fix that one yourself, I seriously doubt you'll find a handguard for a Greek Mannlicher. As another poster stated, it will require some woodworking still or take it to a gunsmith that is known for being a good with wood working.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I appreciate the replies.  I'll see what I can do to fix this.  Thanks.  ^_^
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top