Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2024 9:40:25 PM EDT
I bought a Benelli M1 circa 2001 or so.  It's been a good shotgun for me, though I refer to it as the Mule, for a reason, due to the kick.  I had it Mag-na-ported which made it at least tolerable, though it doesn't cycle 1 oz trap loads with a full mag.  I guess the recoil is lower than what's needed, as the fired shells almost but not quite kick out.  With 1 or 2 rounds in it they cycle, and it's not a big deal as it's not a bird gun.  Works fine with low powered buck.

I've kicked around the idea of buying and setting up a more modern fighting shotgun, either the Benelli M4, or the Beretta 1301, which seems to be the top of the charts shotgun right now.

Other than the recoil being less on the 1301 than my M1, does it offer anything else?  My M1 doesn't have a rail, so the ability to put a red dot would be an advantage.  

I bought a GG&G rail mount that fits around the mag tube/forend connection, so I can mount my lights and lasers and Pez dispenser, as needed.

Stay with the old standard of the M1, or go 1301 and have a softer shooting shotgun with red dot capacity, and ???

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#1]
My M1 story is the same as yours. I am still happy with mine.  A red dot sight wouldn't be a bad addition to help my 68 year old eyes, but I am happy with the old gun.  No plans to change right now.
At 25 yards I can shoot #00 patterns on a sheet of notebook paper.  I think I will keep it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Have 2 a "Turkey Gun" w/6 chokes and  "Tactical" cyl. bore w/rifle sights. Both H&K marked both are "hard shooting" as stated by OP. Both will still do what they were designed to. If it ain't broke....
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I think a lot of the kick from the M1 is just how light of a shotgun it is.  With a full mag, it starts off as being OK, then gets progressively worse with each round, till I'm sort of dreading the last couple.  I bough a Limbsaver recoil pad based on a suggestion here, but haven't tried it at the range yet.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#4]
1301 is a pretty light gun and has some recoil, but it’s easily manageable and very fast shooting. I have a tac13 SBS and it’s softer shooting than a 1301 and pretty fast shooting as well.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I am assuming your talking about a M1 tactical and not an M1 field? I have an M1 field and put the M2 forend on it and it points like a more modern gun.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Beretta 1201FP which is very similar to the M1, with some part interchangeability, same inertia system and super light.  The original stuck was punishing with full power loads, which got a lot better with a PG limbsaver stock.  Occasionally I think about replacing it with something like the 1301 for reduced recoil but the cost of them has become a tough pill to swallow.  The 1201 has been perfectly reliable, so hate to replace it just for the sake of trying something new.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Disco_Stu_TX:
I am assuming your talking about a M1 tactical and not an M1 field? I have an M1 field and put the M2 forend on it and it points like a more modern gun.
View Quote

Yes, I have the M1 Tactical, with the 18' barrel, ghost ring sights, and the pistol grip stock.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Michaelrm:
I have a Beretta 1201FP which is very similar to the M1, with some part interchangeability, same inertia system and super light.  The original stuck was punishing with full power loads, which got a lot better with a PG limbsaver stock.  Occasionally I think about replacing it with something like the 1301 for reduced recoil but the cost of them has become a tough pill to swallow.  The 1201 has been perfectly reliable, so hate to replace it just for the sake of trying something new.
View Quote

That's sort of the same boat I'm in.  If I was buying from scratch, I'd probably go with the Beretta 1301 for the reduced recoil aspect.  Aside from the recoil, I've been very pleased with the M1, as it shoots well, points well, I've got it nicely outfitted with a sling and rail mount for a light, and it's been 100% reliable with buckshot, and was also with light birdshot before I had it Mag-na-ported.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:34:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: c7aea15] [#9]
If you get a 1301 tactical I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a couple old M1s.  And a 1301. Both guns are fantastically reliable.  I prefer the M1 because it’s so simple.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 6:14:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I also have a M1 w/ pistol grip. The stock was a bit too long for me and that increased the felt recoil. I shortened the LOP and added a limbsaver.

Shortening the stock probably helped more than adding the limbsaver pad. I've had rotator cuff repair surgeries twice and tore it again since. Being able to move the butt of the gun inward so its on the pec more than the shoulder helps a lot.

I also replaced the recoil spring with a TTI spring. It would only cycle with field loads and 00B before doing this. Now it functions 100% with light target shot too.
https://tarantacticalinnovations.com/tti-benelli-ultimate-reduced-power-buffer-spring/

A 1301 would be nice, but I wouldn't give up this M1 to get one.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 1stID:
I think a lot of the kick from the M1 is just how light of a shotgun it is.  With a full mag, it starts off as being OK, then gets progressively worse with each round, till I'm sort of dreading the last couple.  I bough a Limbsaver recoil pad based on a suggestion here, but haven't tried it at the range yet.
View Quote

I agree, weight definitely plays a role.  The M1 is light and makes it handle very well.  But the inertia recoil system definitely plays a role as well.  You get most of the recoil before it unlocks, so felt recoil is similar to a pump gun.  Gas operated shotguns definitely have less felt recoil (or it is spread out).  So the Benelli M1 is very snappy.

I picked one up years ago for $300.  The finish was bad, it looks like somebody tried to spray paint it.  But it runs 100% with everything I have fed it, including most bird shot (Estate, Remington, etc.).  Even with a Surefire forend and sidesaddle, mine runs 100%.  I picked up an IWI TS-12 recently and haven't have a chance to run it yet.  I'm looking forward to trying them side by side.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my M1 - it’s simple, light, robust, brutally reliable and points so instinctively (at least for me). The M1 is in my mind the perfect combat shotty based on those criteria, and mine isn’t going anywhere. If I was shooting competition or engaged in a very heavy training schedule, I might consider acquiring a 1301. I’ve looked over the new Berettas at a LGS, but wasn’t impressed enough to give me serious thoughts on parting with my M1.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't even notice the recoil of my M1.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:41:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I love my early HK import m1. Just wish it had a standard stock instead of the pistol grip stock.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Just asking the question-have you replaced the recoil spring in it?

If that’s the original spring, then it definitely has a bunch of years and probably a bunch of rounds on it. That certainly wouldn’t help you with regard to cycling or recoil. You may actually be beating it up shooting it if the carrier is bottoming out in the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:39:24 PM EDT
[#17]
If you want to spend the coin the 1301 Tactical is the best you can get right now. Unfortunately the price has gone up on them significantly. There was a time when you could find them for $900-$1,000 but those days are gone. Now they are $1,600-$2,000. The A300 Ultima Patrol can be had for $1,000 and would offer a softer recoiling gun while still being light weight. It’s got a slightly different gas system that the 1301, non adjustable sights, and can’t use all the stock options available for the 1301 but for the money the A300UP is a very good gun. Back to the 1301, it is freakishly light weight but it does recoil less than the M1 and M2 inertia systems. The newer guns offer a fixed magtube, (as does the A300UP), holding 7+1 and you can ghost load getting you 9 rounds on tap. The trigger is great, the safety is in a familiar place and easy to use. The bolt release and bolt from the factory are great though I have updated mine using Aridus Industries. The 1301 and A300UP both come with a rail from the factory but direct optic plates exsist and the mounting plates work for both guns.

I own two 1301s, I have a well loved Gen 1 that I used regularly since around 2017. I recently replaced it with another 1301 Gen 2 that I have used in a couple of classes already and have got it dialed in pretty much where I want it. I’m on the fence still about the A300UP, not because it isn’t a great gun, I have been plenty impressed with the ones if handled and fired. I’m just not sure what it really brings when I already own two 1301s.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#18]
In 1968 I bought a brand new Browning A5.  Shot the bat crap out of it thru 1994.  Replaced the wood with a butt ugly black fiberglass after-market stock.  Must have shot it 60,000 times and had the trigger springs changed out twice.  Killed ducks, deer and many dove with it.  Morphed over to a H&K M1 super 90 in 1994 with a continuation of the same abuse.  After 30 years the recoil spring failed.  We're a M1 Super 90 family - we have four, including one in riot gun configuration.  My oldest son uses his more than I and he changed the recoil spring to that made by Sure Cycle and sold by MGW.  He changed out my part compatible for serial numbers below 470000.  Back in business!  I have the 21 inch barrel field grade version - perfect for tree stands and walking the woods, fields and swamps of Southeastern North Carolina.  Damn good gun and trading it out for another never even entered my mind. HTH
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:03:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Step 1 would be to swap out the recoil pad as the originals get pretty hard, especially with old guns like the M1’s.  That = pain…

The Limbsaver #10403 is the one you want to replace it with.  Huge improvement.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:19:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought my M1 about 1990 to shoot bowling pin matches, it was great.

2001, I was able to get it autographed by the master.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:55:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#21]
Originally Posted By fredshort:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1153/Tom_Knapp_signing_Benelli_7-15-01_jpg-3171598.JPG
View Quote

I loved watching his videos back in the day. Knapp made it look so effortless. I wish he was still around. The man was the master for sure.

I wonder how many shells he went though in his lifetime.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#22]
When it comes to shotguns, I’ve found that I value reliability over everything else. There’s nothing worse than an unreliable shotgun.

If you’re doing a ton of high volume shooting, a shotgun is going to beat on you. Especially with real defensive loads.

If you have to use your shotgun for self defense, I doubt you’ll even notice the recoil.

I’ve done a couple of 3 hour defensive shotgun classes. I used my Mossberg 930 tactical. We ran our guns hard and I had to use buckshot because that’s what runs reliably in my gun.

At the end of the class, we were all trying each others guns and continued shooting for the fun of it. Not a single one of us had an issue with the recoil, and most guys were running 870s.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By chrishag:
I love my early HK import m1. Just wish it had a standard stock instead of the pistol grip stock.
View Quote

I prefer a standard stock to a pistol grip on a shotgun. It’s just so much easier to manipulate the gun around your body and gear.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Also, random comment here, but I have always enjoyed running a shotgun. Tactical stuff, skeet, sporting clays, trap, upland birds, all of it. The recoil never really registers with me.

I’ve also never been a great handgun shooter because of a slight flinch that I have to constantly work on to minimize.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By MK318:
If you want to spend the coin the 1301 Tactical is the best you can get right now. Unfortunately the price has gone up on them significantly. There was a time when you could find them for $900-$1,000 but those days are gone. Now they are $1,600-$2,000. The A300 Ultima Patrol can be had for $1,000 and would offer a softer recoiling gun while still being light weight. It’s got a slightly different gas system that the 1301, non adjustable sights, and can’t use all the stock options available for the 1301 but for the money the A300UP is a very good gun. Back to the 1301, it is freakishly light weight but it does recoil less than the M1 and M2 inertia systems. The newer guns offer a fixed magtube, (as does the A300UP), holding 7+1 and you can ghost load getting you 9 rounds on tap. The trigger is great, the safety is in a familiar place and easy to use. The bolt release and bolt from the factory are great though I have updated mine using Aridus Industries. The 1301 and A300UP both come with a rail from the factory but direct optic plates exsist and the mounting plates work for both guns.

I own two 1301s, I have a well loved Gen 1 that I used regularly since around 2017. I recently replaced it with another 1301 Gen 2 that I have used in a couple of classes already and have got it dialed in pretty much where I want it. I’m on the fence still about the A300UP, not because it isn’t a great gun, I have been plenty impressed with the ones if handled and fired. I’m just not sure what it really brings when I already own two 1301s.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_7465_jpeg-3168660.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_7468_jpeg-3168661.JPG
View Quote

I know this isn’t GD, but Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#26]

I loved watching his videos back in the day. Knapp made it look so effortless. I wish he was still around. The man was the master for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4KVoYUGf3s
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fredshort:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1153/Tom_Knapp_signing_Benelli_7-15-01_jpg-3171598.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4KVoYUGf3s

I used to watch Tom Knapp back when I was shooting a LOT of sporting clays while still learning. I was damn happy to get a hit with a single pellet if it meant I was on that day.

Watching Tom absolutely dust clays to where there were no recognizable pieces was awesome.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#27]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_7465_jpeg-3168660.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_7468_jpeg-3168661.JPG
View Quote

The M4 shotgun is the best espessially when durability and high end round counts are factored in.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Make a decision OP ??

personally -- i would never part with a good quality M1.  that's a classic IMO.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:50:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#29]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:

I know this isn’t GD, but https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/511664/IMG_4563_jpeg-3171648.JPG
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I also have an old M1. I like it and would not consider replacing it .
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By tac556:
Step 1 would be to swap out the recoil pad as the originals get pretty hard, especially with old guns like the M1’s.  That = pain…

The Limbsaver #10403 is the one you want to replace it with.  Huge improvement.
View Quote

Yeah, at the recommendation of a people here, I bought one of the Limbsaver recoil pads, and need to try it out.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

Make a decision OP ??

personally -- i would never part with a good quality M1.  that's a classic IMO.
View Quote

I've decided not to decide - using my good management skills!

If I was starting from scratch, or just wanted another tac shotgun now, I'd get a Beretta 1301, and figure out what model/version/etc. to get.  But for now, the M1 fills the tac shotgun role.  

Thanks to all who contributed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:00:30 AM EDT
[#33]
The Benelli M1 is a tank and low maintenance. Just a shotgun that runs and runs and runs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:01:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#34]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
The Benelli M1 is a tank and low maintenance. Just a shotgun that runs and runs and runs.
View Quote
+1

I've got an old HK-import M1 Entry (14") and it was a PD trade-in I got from Phoenix Distributors. Somebody had bent the recoil spring tube sideways a bit, so I replaced it with a SureCycle assembly and it lives to SWAT again.

I repaired a ton of shotguns in my 4 years as a gunsmith in Lafayette, LA and the Benelli shotguns exhibited the fewest problems of any common semi-autos. They're easy to work on too.
I remember one Cajun had grass literally growing inside his Super Black Eagle 2 stock from mud that had accumulated in there (while he was using it for a boat paddle) and he said it still worked, most of the time. lol

I do like the Berettas for gas-operated guns, and apparently they've improved their piston assemblies (which used to arrive for service broken/chipped with some regularity).
They're very smooth and exhibit less felt recoil than the M1. A fellow investigator has the 1301 Tactical and it's very fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top