Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2024 9:34:22 AM EDT
So I brainstormed an idea.  If you made a “bird banger” or “sonic signal” that meets the definition of a signaling device (less than 1/4oz payload, nonmetallic, etc) that could be fired from a 22mm spigot style rifle grenade launcher, would that be considered a grenade or a signaling device?  If not a grenade, that could be a lot of fun to play around with.  You could launch them far further and more accurately than a 37mm because it could be more effectively stabilized with fins.
Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#1]
You're talking about a device being launched by a separate cartridge so it's not self-contained.

It doesn't meet any of the definitions of DD laid out in law.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Didnt think so.  Think the atf would give me grief since they would be fired off a mil-spec style grenade launcher?  Might be safer to do, say, 23mm spigot instead of 22mm.  Or maybe I am being too paranoid.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#3]
If it's not a self-contained cartridge and doesn't otherwise meet the definition of a DD then it really doesn't matter what launches it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Roger, thank you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been slowly working on a similar idea for both muzzle launch and can cannon (different projectiles but the same firing mechanism for the report).  I am trying to use .308 blanks as the report charge, since I have a bunch of them and SA ammo is specifically exempted from explosive regulations.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:52:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ben] [#6]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#8]
@Ben- So you could legally make the burst capsule out of steel?  Interesting.  I was thinking of casting them out of some sort of resin, with kevlar or carbon fiber strands mixed in.  Also- forgot I posted this LOL
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#9]
@AJ_Dual You can mix your own BP and add in 10-20% by weight aluminum powder to get more bang out of it.  Unsure if this would work if you simply added the powder into fffg, though.  Dunno if it would stay well mixed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:05:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gingerbreadman] [#11]
I've been doing a little experimenting in this realm lately. There is still room for improvement, but results are promising. 3D printer go brrrrr.....

50 grain Pyrodex pellets have a 1/8" hole through the center. Safety fuse is approximately 1/8" in diameter. A 3D printed projectile with a hole that fits the pellet, with an 1/8" fuse passage and plugged on the other end with hot glue can make for a decent bang. A single pellet stays well under the 1/4 oz. limit. It makes a decent bang, a decent puff of smoke, and a bit of a flash. Like I said earlier, there's room for improvement, but it is easy to keep consistent.

ETA: I've found 3D printed parts to be surprisingly porous, even at high infill settings. Definitely shield your payload from your lifting charge if you go that route
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#12]
@Gingerbreadman I hadnt thought of the pre-formed muzzle loading pellets..  Thats an intersting idea.  Hmmm.  Was thinking of pressing my own with FFFG, with 10-15% aluminum powder mixed in for more bang.  But that is simple, and consistant.  

Yeah, I figured I would have to go an extra mile making sure to seal off the payload from the lift charge.  Would definately 3d print.  This is on my list of things to try- as well as building a prototype rifle I designed and a few other projects.  I need 3 more of me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#13]
There are 14.5mm artillery simulators that can be shot through a 20ga. rifled shotgun.  I have some that I got in trade, but never loaded them up.  They are supposed to go a few hundred yards and explode with a puff of smoke.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ihon:
There are 14.5mm artillery simulators that can be shot through a 20ga. rifled shotgun.  I have some that I got in trade, but never loaded them up.  They are supposed to go a few hundred yards and explode with a puff of smoke.
View Quote

Supply has become pretty dry, but they work great in 40mm. They have both time delay and impact detonating.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but would everything discussed here also apply to a hand deployed 'bird banger' type device similar to the taggin/IWA ones assuming the total payload stayed under 1/4oz, or is it only for projectiles?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#16]
As far as I understand (take it with a grain of salt) such a thing may be legal but that wont keep the gayTF from coming after you.  37mm bangers and the like are a long standing example of being signaling devices, so it seems as if they are less likely to care.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By gunningallday:
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but would everything discussed here also apply to a hand deployed 'bird banger' type device similar to the taggin/IWA ones assuming the total payload stayed under 1/4oz, or is it only for projectiles?
View Quote

The 1/4 ounce limit only applies to missiles(projectiles)
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Ahh, ok.  So what about signal rockets then?  Could I 3d print a rocket body with a pocket for an estes engine and a payload pocket for flash powder and have it not be considered a class B firework?  Id assume that type of nuance would be how it is intended to be used, maybe how it is marked?  That is another possible avenue.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By hitchhiker:
Ahh, ok.  So what about signal rockets then?  Could I 3d print a rocket body with a pocket for an estes engine and a payload pocket for flash powder and have it not be considered a class B firework?  Id assume that type of nuance would be how it is intended to be used, maybe how it is marked?  That is another possible avenue.
View Quote

Please just Google the legal definition of destructive device, read it slowly 5 times.

As for fireworks/explosive laws, IDK.

"The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 7684(2) , 7685 , or 7686 of title 10 , United States Code ; or any other device which the Secretary finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top