Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2024 1:21:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SG55xdude]
I have a swiss 550, 551, and 553 LB with nato lower.

I really love all 3.  They were my grail guns over 20 years ago.  They are all from SAN imports imported as pistols.  

I don't shoot the 551 much (I shoot the 550 and 553 regularly).  It probably has 200 rds through it.  I don't really want to part with it but I have some other projects and so many expenses for a while I am thinking about selling it to fund other stuff.  I will probably regret it as it is an awesome rifle but I have 2 other swiss sigs.

The 551 has an aluminum lower, green swiss furniture (I added a swiss stock), black finish, and diopter sights, a 16" 1 piece barrel with no grenade ring.  

There are not very many swiss sigs especially 551's (that are the recent imported ones) on gunbroker.  I am trying to decide whether to sell it or not.  I would probably just list it here and other forums if I do.  I really am not sure.

What would yall expect to see this listed for?  

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:56:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 18B30] [#1]
Contract your neurologist immediately, you must be having a stroke!

KEEP IT!

18Z50….keeper of Louisiana Fish and Game SP551 SBR!
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#2]
If I wasn’t living behind enemy lines, I’d be all up on that like white on rice.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:22:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nitmr26] [#3]
In order to support another hobby, I'm in the process of downsizing and finding new homes for a number of safe-queens.  That includes three of the five JDI imported Swiss SIGs I've purchased over the last seven years.  A little over a week ago, I sold my PE90 (550) and my 16" 551.  They were listed on another forum for $4,000 plus shipping, and I had buyers within a day.  Both are unfired and included a Swiss stock.

I also listed an unfired Swiss SIG 553R (7.62x39) for the same price, but I haven't had any offers on that one yet.

In a perfect world, I would have a 1500 sqft home armory and plenty of extra money for all of my hobbies.  However in the real world, storage space and hobby money is finite, so I have to be realistic about the number of safe-queens I keep.  And honestly, when I'm dead and buried, a large, expensive gun collection will be a burden for the wife to deal with.    

Like you, I will be keeping two Swiss SIGs: a 551 LB and a 553 SB.  As cool as they are, I didn't lose any sleep selling the PE90 and the 16" 551, and I won't lose any sleep when the 553R sells.  I'm not dwelling on the fact that they (and other cool guns) are gone.  I'm focusing on the car I'll be buying with the proceeds.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:00:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: themao] [#4]
I have the same gun. Paid $4025 Jan 2023. I would expect you to get at least that or up to $4500-4700 for it now. JDI was selling long barreled 551s for $4750 new.

Edited to add: I would keep it. It’s arguably the most versatile of the Sig 55x series. You can put a B&T handguard on it, and take it to a carbine class or shoot matches with it. Buy a NATO lower for it.

This is my steel lower one I bought Oct 2022. I added the requisite 922R parts. One of my favorite rifles right now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 7:36:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: leathercorp] [#5]
between 4 to 5 grand if you want it sold sooner than later. The older barrels are rumored to be more accurate than current production for what thats worth.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:47:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SG55xdude] [#6]
Thanks guys!!

Im not really sure or in a hurry.  I think I'm going to go shoot it a couple more times.  Every time I pull it out I think I will absolutely regret selling it.  At the same time while I make very good money we will have a lot of extra expenses for at least a year and my wife has literally 6 vacations planned in the next 9 months including an Alaskan cruise (also taking 3 kids) in August so I just don't see any spare money for myself any time soon.

I have a Volquartsen Black Mamba that my youngest boy and my daughter have both taken to shooting in the last year.  I really want to get a Volquartsen Mini Mamba and a lighter weight 22 suppressor than my ancient SWR Spectre (way heavy for a pistol).  That way my kids and I both have 22 pistols to shoot the rimfire dueling tree in my backyard.

I also want a trijicon acog for the 550, an iris diopter for the 550, a B&T railed handguard for my 553, B&T brass catcher made for sig 55x rifles, and other accessories for my 550 and 553.

I am going to go back and forth in my head for a few weeks before deciding.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ds3_09:
Thanks guys!!

Im not really sure or in a hurry.  I think I'm going to go shoot it a couple more times.  Every time I pull it out I think I will absolutely regret selling it.  At the same time while I make very good money we will have a lot of extra expenses for at least a year and my wife has literally 6 vacations planned in the next 9 months including an Alaskan cruise (also taking 3 kids) in August so I just don't see any spare money for myself any time soon.
I am going to go back and forth in my head for a few weeks before deciding.
View Quote

I can help you , I think.

1/ https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1036732863     This is a nice gun from a reputable seller I've crossed paths with.  It is unsold at $4175 right now.

2/ Humbly,  I think you might want to keep the rifle.  You are taking six vacations with five people in the next nine months ? If you are spending that kind of cake$ on vacations and make very good money why are you here talking about selling ( with absolute regret as stated) a $3.?k gun?  
Sure a few bucks will help but I feel this dilemma is not about the money but something else.  
Easier to make more money than to get another gun for that same price in the future.

3/ Keep Nice gun you really like.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:19:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SG55xdude] [#8]
Originally Posted By hobo:

I can help you , I think.

1/ https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1036732863     This is a nice gun from a reputable seller I've crossed paths with.  It is unsold at $4175 right now.

2/ Humbly,  I think you might want to keep the rifle.  You are taking six vacations with five people in the next nine months ? If you are spending that kind of cake$ on vacations and make very good money why are you here talking about selling ( with absolute regret as stated) a $3.?k gun?  
Sure a few bucks will help but I feel this dilemma is not about the money but something else.  
Easier to make more money than to get another gun for that same price in the future.

3/ Keep Nice gun you really like.
View Quote

I make good money (well over 300k).  I also just have a lot more extra expenses right now that were unexpected and patient numbers are trending down lately (I am a dentist).  I let my wife go crazy planning trips this year.  Most are small trips with our RV.  I don't get a "salary" and pay has been down a little, cost of stuff is up, etc.  I just don't really have any money to "play" with and likely wont for a while.  My daugther turns 16 in a few months so she will get my wifes honda accord and we plan to get the wife some sort of suv.  I just started paying tuition for my son.  I am not broke but I really want a few gun items.  I will probably just wait.

Another factor is we always get back around 6-8k tax time and somehow we owe this year.  I was planning on using some of the refund for gun stuff.

Note I only work 3 days a week (12 hour days).  I get a 5 day weekend every month.  Starting in July they are restructuring the schedule and I will actually get two 5 day weekends a month (still work the same amount of days).  So 95% of our "vacations" I don't take any days off of work at which is good because I do not get PTO.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By hobo:
...Easier to make more money than to get another gun for that same price in the future.

...Keep Nice gun you really like.
View Quote

Hobo is spot on with his points.  If you like the gun and think you would want another one in the future, don't sell.  It will cost you more in the future to replace a relatively rare and hard to find firearm.  My 551 was identical to the one in hobo's link but included a stock.  It moved quickly at $4,000.  

I sold my PE90 and 551 because of a specific opportunity to buy a relatively rare and hard to find sports car.  I wouldn't have sold them just to have extra cash laying around or to pay off a trip or two.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't sell. You will only regret it later.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I changed my screen name today.  Anyways I can't sell it.  Eventually I would like to get an acog for it.  I have a 556xi cheek rest on it now and it's the perfect height for optics for me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SG55xdude:
I have a 556xi cheek rest on it now and it's the perfect height for optics for me.
View Quote

I completely agree.  The Sig 55X cheek rest is the perfect height and cheek weld for an ACOG.  The Galil Ace is a close second.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#13]
The reason I bought two 551s with diopters are for my son and daughter. I can easily see them in five years shooting both to learn how to use the world’s greatest diopter iron sights.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a church sponsored bullseye competition today nothing serious there were probably 10 people id consider proficient shooters and law enforcement out of around 35 people shooting.  There was an iron sight 50 yard rifle portion. So I tested the 551 and the 550 yesterday and I found the 551 to be be a hair more accurate so I used it.  I ended up winning overall.  I've never done a competition.  It was pretty informal but im still stoked.  Anyway one more reason I can't sell it.  

Nobody there knew wtf I was shooting lol.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I bet they know now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep, don’t sell it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SG55xdude:
I changed my screen name today.  Anyways I can't sell it.  Eventually I would like to get an acog for it.  I have a 556xi cheek rest on it now and it's the perfect height for optics for me.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top