Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2024 12:25:03 AM EDT
Hey guys, I need to purchase a Bolt Action.
Somewhat narrowed down to the following three.
Basically a rifle to go hiking around and take camping and such. Not for hunting.

1. Ruger American Gen II in 308 with 20” barrel (list weight is 6.5lbs)
2. Ruger American Gen II in 6.5 Creedmoor with 22” barrel (list weight is 6.5lbs)
3. Bergara B14 SP in 308 with an 18” barrel. (List weight is 7.2lbs)

If you notice, price range is in the $600ish range. If you know of something else that is better, please let me know.
Trying to keep the complete rifle  under 9 lbs.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:08:33 AM EDT
[#1]
If you’re not hunting, it would follow that it’s probably for self defense, no? And if so, why a bolt action? I like my RAP in 6.5 but with a 22” bbl it’s too long for a lot of things.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:16:35 AM EDT
[#2]
A Howa Ranchland Security with the light barrel profile is what you seek. You can get them with a rail for your optic to mount on, or a cheap optic you can use for the time being. Mine is lights-out accurate even after 20 rounds of pretty rapid fire, the trigger is really nice, for the price it's quite awesome. And it's very light. If you want to get really fancy you can swap out the bottom metal for a magazine system of their design, or AICS.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:35:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#3]
Any old Rem700 (or clone action) with a 16-18” medium  or lighter contour barrel tossed into any number of carbon fiber stocks and then put a Leupold VX-whateverHD on top.

Grayboe makes some light-ass stocks considering the price point.  They’re even the OEM for the stocks on some of Bergara’s lineup. But stocky’s, Boyd, Mesa, AG … all make lightweight stocks that you don’t have to pay out the nose for and wait months to get.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:46:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#4]
Howa Mini is what I thought of when I saw the title but it's not available in the calibers you listed. Any of the guns listed in the OP will work fine. I sold a bunch of T3 Lites and people seemed to be happy with them. Seems like all the standard short action guns with skinny barrels are pretty similar in weight.

Ruger is also listing a 6.5 Creedmoor Ranch available later this year. That might be interesting.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:49:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I do use mine for hunting but it would do for "utility" in a pinch. Ruger american predator 308 18" barrel. 6.2lbs list weight. Took an elk at 450 with it a couple years ago and it's at least as accurate as I am.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 3:49:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Of your listed options, the Bergara for sure.  I have the B14 Special Purpose in 6.5.  Took a blacktail at 360 yards this year with it. Absolutely love the rifle.  Feels much nicer than the Ruger.  Ive purchased 2 Bergaras since buying the listed one. Every Ruger i've bought has eventually been offloaded.  But they are good guns for the money.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 4:22:56 AM EDT
[#7]
My first thought was a Ruger American ranch rifle with 16 in barrel. The 7.62x39 runs Mini 30 mags and the 300 Blk runs AR mags.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#8]
How much and how often do you shoot?   A lightweight rifle in 308 has too much recoil for my taste.......308 ain't cheap either.............I probably would buy a mossberg patrol or Ruger American in 300 blackout ..........you can buy ammo for 65 cents a round a Palmetto and shoot all day without getting beat up............
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.
This is not a rifle I will be taking to shoot a lot. I have other bolt actions for that.
Took a look at the Ruger Gen II. It was actually petty decent., but the dealer had it for a crazy price. Hopefully I can take a look at the Bergara this week.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:36:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Have you looked at the Sig Cross Trax? I'll probably buy one this year for a similar role. Minus the inexpensive part of course.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:47:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Ruger makes the American Gen 1 rifles that are almost half a pound lighter.

Go wild 16" creedmoor 6.1lbs.
Predator 18" 308 6.2lbs.

T/C Compass 2 Compact 308, 6.5lbs and $400
T/C Compass 2 6.5 Creed under $300
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the Ruger American Predator. Gave it to my son. It was actually a great rifle. Sub MOA all day long. Trigger was horrible though. Which is why I keep looking at the Ruger. They are now almost double in price though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sirgarreth:
I had the Ruger American Predator. Gave it to my son. It was actually a great rifle. Sub MOA all day long. Trigger was horrible though. Which is why I keep looking at the Ruger. They are now almost double in price though.
View Quote

Did you look at trigger replacements? That's a common upgrade. I know Timney lists some and I assume there are others with how many of those rifles are out there. There are still some of the older guns out there in stock you can save a few bucks over new.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I’d say the Tikka T3. It is super light and very accurate even without any upgrades. I put mine into an MDT chassis but I’m thinking of getting a second on and not changing a thing.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:08:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Savage 110 trail hunter wtw just did a video on it and  got some impressive groups.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Of your choices I'd pick the Bergara.  I'm not a fan of the Ruger Americans; they just feel like a cheap rifle that's really not very cheap anymore.  I'd definitely add Howa to the list of considerations as well.  I'd buy a Howa over an American any day of the week.  Choosing between a Howa or Bergara would be a little tougher.  The Bergara wins on aftermarket support being a Remclone, but the Howa action has some improvements over the 700-style actions.  I'd probably choose the Howa.  You could also scour the used racks.

If you can increase the budget some, a Tikka T3x would be a great option too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:29:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Uys] [#17]
Weatherby Vanguard Compact in .308 - polymer stock has a spacer so the LOP can be 12.5 or 13.5.  20 inch barrel.
With a Leupold 4x and sling it's 7lb 5oz.  Can be found for $500-ish before shipping/tax.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:33:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sirgarreth] [#18]
ok, guys. Choices opened up a bit.

Adding the CZ600 in 308 and the Savage Trail Hunter in 308.

So, now in order of interest.

1. Savage Trail Hunter (so far my top choice)
2. Ruger American Gen II
3. CZ600 Alpha
4. Rem 700 Tactical (TH)
5. Tikka T3X Roughtech (If I decide to go that high. Is it worth the extra $400???)

What do you guys think of these?

I looked at Tikka, but they do not come with threaded barrel until you get up into the $1000 range. The basic T3X is $750 then add $150 to get the barrel threaded, so up to $900.
Would like to stick to the $500-$600 range. (Optic not included in that budget)
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Ruger looks like the lightest. Honestly they are probably all going to perform really similarly to each other. I like the fact that the Ruger uses AICS mags but if you don't care about the factory mags that won't matter. All comes down to what's important to you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#20]
For your use, a Ruger American Compact would work

I have a .243 with a 18" barrel, but its a few years old and no idea if it is still available in that configuration.

Super lightweight .308 kicks harder than you may imagine. I don't have anything 6.5 to compare though. The .243 is great on recoil
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a 308 and two 6.5 Creedmoors.
Recoil is not a problem for me.
My other rifles are semi custom and just don't want to take them out in the mountains or keep them stored in an RV.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Ruger Scout is 7.2#

Peep is fun out to 100.

Gonna have to look for deal on used for a bit at your price point.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#23]
ok, guys. Choices opened up a bit.

Adding the CZ600 in 308 and the Savage Trail Hunter in 308.

So, now in order of interest.

1. Savage Trail Hunter (so far my top choice)
2. Ruger American Gen II
3. CZ600 Alpha
4. Rem 700 Tactical (TH)
5. Tikka T3X Roughtech (If I decide to go that high. Is it worth the extra $400???)

What do you guys think of these?

I looked at Tikka, but they do not come with threaded barrel until you get up into the $1000 range. The basic T3X is $750 then add $150 to get the barrel threaded, so up to $900.
Would like to stick to the $500-$600 range. (Optic not included in that budget)
View Quote

No experience with the Savage.  Personally I don't like Savages, but that's just preference.  Have you handled the CZ600 Alpha?  It's fairly unique.  I really didn't like the stock on it; the forearm is way to flexible for me.  The new Remingtons seem to be built better than they were for the past 10-20 years.  I'll reiterate the Howa (or Weatherby Vanguard) recommendation.  IMO, that's the highest quality option until you get to the Tikka price range.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Hey guys, I went ahead and decided to just bite and the bullet and ordered A tikka T3x roughtech in 308 Win. A bit more money than the others, but I should not need to. do anything to it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:32:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Uys] [#25]
Hey guys, I went ahead and decided to just bite and the bullet and ordered A tikka T3x roughtech in 308 Win. A bit more money than the others, but I should not need to. do anything to it.
View Quote

I feel like I want a T3x like this"
https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3x-Drover-308-Win-20-110-Bbl-Roughtech-Green-Blued-10rd-Ranch-Rifle-JRTXWV31620.aspx

Like a Battue and a Lite had a baby.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Remington model 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top