Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2024 3:41:11 PM EDT
Aiming at a 12" steel plate, I have the problem of the IR laser blooming so much it obscures the entire target.  

I have a TLR VIR II on a pistol, and a Holosun LS321R on a rifle. Both have the same problem.

I just want a laser that I can pinpoint on the target, not one that is massively bright.  Is the issue that these lasers are just low-end???

The NV is a green PVS-14.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't you put a filter on the ir ?
Have you tried different nm ?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not that the lasers are low end, it's that there's too many milliwatts for the laser not to bloom.
I had a Steiner dbal I2 and they sell a neutral density filter for them that cut way down on the bloom.
Unfortunately I don't think they have one for the Holosun.
You could get the actual neutral density lens and have someone 3d print a fixture that would work with your laser though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you using just the IR pointer?   If so, try using it in conjunction with the IR illuminator.   Often times, the additional light energy surrounding the pointer will "tone down" the bloom effect.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNVC_Mike:
Are you using just the IR pointer?   If so, try using it in conjunction with the IR illuminator.   Often times, the additional light energy surrounding the pointer will "tone down" the bloom effect.
View Quote
The TLR-VIR has two possible modes:  White light only, or IR illum and IR laser at the same time.  The Holosun LS321R lets you use them independently.  But in any case the bloom is always pretty bad.  I think the IR illum is pretty weak on these.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:27:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kychas] [#6]
Years ago there was a way to make a filter out of 35mm color film leader. (The part that hangs out of the can an is exposed to light)
They would punch out a circle with a hole punch and fix over a red laser to make them so weak they would be equal to a IR laser, you may need to use more than one
I bet it would work to on IR laser to weaken it by installing some film leader in a small scope flip cover with a hole drilled in the center so you could open it and get full power when needed
eBay has them as small as 25.5 mm. And you may get smaller with some looking
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:48:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#7]
Lasers will bloom without supplemental IR. Using a stronger IR illuminator will keep it from blooming.

Or as some have mentioned try a filter. Doesn't have to be expensive. I've made filters out of house hold materials before to get by.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:59:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TNVC:

This. IR LUM to mitigate helps a ton.

Power of the laser itself is the main root cause of course.  Even a Class 1 .7mW will bloom at distance. This is why we made our Tor Mini with a selectable power output at .2mW, .4mW and .7mW. Not bad for 115 bones.
View Quote
Is the Tor Mini ok on a rifle?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Would love to help you out, I had the same issues with my perst, and I 3d printed a solution for which I now sell on ebay

/itm/125116608112

Post some pics of the aperture and the dimensions and we'll see what we can come up with! I might even be tempted to buy a holosun and return it once I make it
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#13]
What are your specs on your tube?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:36:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#14]
Originally Posted By DirtyHandsRob:
View Quote

That was going to be my question.

The halo value has a considerable effect on bloom.

I know I have posted these photos before, but hopefully it reiterates the point

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Those are both high end image tubes with a very good/low halo value. An older surplus thin Filmed tube with higher halo would be an even more dramatic difference in bloom/halo.

On devices like a peq15, neutral density filters applied to the pointer will help reduce the power of the pointer and give a much finer aiming point.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:44:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Horrible_Aim] [#15]
Originally Posted By TNVC:

Like to add the Tor Mini is MADE IN THE USA! No Chinese counter can match the price nor the capabilities.
View Quote

https://www.ddlaserspeed.com/product/power-adjustable-laser-sight-for-rifle

Videos of these out there in military use. Full power, holds zero, half the price, and no credit card fraud when you buy from them

They replaced my TORs
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:18:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#16]
Originally Posted By Horrible_Aim:

https://www.ddlaserspeed.com/product/power-adjustable-laser-sight-for-rifle

Videos of these out there in military use. Full power, holds zero, half the price, and no credit card fraud when you buy from them

They replaced my TORs
View Quote

Seems pretty huge compared to the TOR, for a totally different application

A full power model would do the exact opposite of what OP wants. Horrible Aim on your part (get it? )

But very edgy post nonetheless
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By French1966:

Seems pretty huge compared to the TOR, for a totally different application

A full power model would do the exact opposite of what OP wants. Horrible Aim on your part (get it? )

But very edgy post nonetheless
View Quote

Well, it's a bold claim that no other products can match the feature set and price of the Tor. Others can and do. He mentioned rifles specifically in which case size is less of a factor

The TLR VIR II would work great for both pistol/rifle. The illuminator is floody but will help minimize bloom. For a tighter beam, add the focus ring that Darq makes.

The battery choice, on/off indicator, and momentary activation are all better than the Tor IMO
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Horrible_Aim:

Well, it's a bold claim that no other products can match the feature set and price of the Tor. Others can and do. He mentioned rifles specifically in which case size is less of a factor

The TLR VIR II would work great for both pistol/rifle. The illuminator is floody but will help minimize bloom. For a tighter beam, add the focus ring that Darq makes.

The battery choice, on/off indicator, and momentary activation are all better than the Tor IMO
View Quote
I have a TLR VIR II on my Mk25 AKA Sig Sauer P226.  It blooms like crazy.  A 12" target is completely covered at 10 yards.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By DirtyHandsRob:
View Quote
It's this one

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016703710?pid=438645

FOM = 1600
SNR = 22

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:31:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#20]
Originally Posted By Andrewsky:
It's this one

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016703710?pid=438645

FOM = 1600
SNR = 22

View Quote

Are you sure that’s not just a minimum?

Did it come with an actual spec sheet? Halo will be the spec most applicable to the discussion
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Yea, I'm willing to bet the halo spec is affecting what you're seeing.

Do you have access to another NVG so you can compare the images?

I remember using a lower spec mono and I could tell the bloom was significantly worse on that tube than a much better tube. Yard lights bloomed quite considerably.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Cheap lasers have beam divergence issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top