Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2024 8:36:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1badf350]
I’m considering purchasing a K98. All the number’s match except for the front barrel band. Unsure about the stock. I’ve never owned one before but always wanted one. It’s fairly steep in price so I don’t want to make an expensive mistake.
They’re asking $1800

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:36:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1badf350] [#1]
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:37:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1badf350] [#2]
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#4]
It boils down to the usual how much cost versus how bad you want it! In my opinion it sure looks nice!
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bdicki:
bcd Wilhelm-Gustloff-Werke, Weimar
https://oldmilitarymarkings.com/codes_full_alpha_a-b.html
View Quote

Thanks i already googled that.
What i dont know is if this is a desirable one or should i pass? Its not import marked.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By OmegamanX:
It boils down to the usual how much cost versus how bad you want it! In my opinion it sure looks nice!
View Quote

Basically is this rifle worth $1800. I don’t want to get hosed
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:01:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Without pulling the action from the stock and checking the handguard and stock numbers...  

It looks okay.  Bluing and stock looks original and in pretty solid shape.  Might be a little steep but if the only thing that's not matching are the bands that's probably about what you'd see it listed for on various collector trader websites.  If the stock doesn't match I'd feel a lot better at $1400-1500.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:03:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 1badf350:
Basically is this rifle worth $1800. I don't want to get hosed
View Quote
No. You'd be getting hosed.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:16:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Beautifully rifle but I think it’s priced a little high.  May have been a duffle cut with the mismatched bands and the stock looks sanded.  Priced like an all matching rifle but the bands don’t match and stock looks suspect.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#10]
That looks like a very clean K98. I don't see any Russian capture marks

and I don't believe that's a Mitchell's Mausers rifle either.

What is the bore condition? Did they tell you a story about the rifle

and are there any "Bring back" papers that go with it?

I'd pass unless money doesn't matter to you but that depends

on if you are a collector or shooter. I'm a shooter and what I paid for mine

would make you cry, less than $200. If you are a collector, you should pass unless

there is documentation to go with it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Long time milsurp collector here. OP, the K98k collecting scene is a minefield of mismatched, re-matched and out right faked rifles. There are few milsurp rifles more faked these days than the K98k. If you want one bad I'd suggest you do a lot of research first, there are detailed reference books on the type as well as several websites. Trust me, the time to do research is before you spend 1800$. I generally avoid German stuff due to the above mentioned  issues but just from the pictures I can see that the band and the nose piece don't match the rest of the rifle or each other, I wouldn't be surprised if the stock and handguard are also mismatched. The stock should have a serial number behind the half grip on bottom and the handguard is also serialized on the underside.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#12]
See if they will let you pull the hand guard off?

It's retail pricing for it and if it was in the $1200 to $1400 it would be better. But again , Kar98k's and anything WW2 German is just getting nuts these days. Hell , I see Russian refurbs going for $1000 all day long at auctions.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 12:11:07 PM EDT
[#13]
For 1800 its miss-matched and I would pass. This rifle is more along the 1K to 1200 mark . Maybe on the higher end if you really want it or need it to fill a hole in your collection.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#14]
$1800 pass.

Nice but not original. Screams restoration esp the very worn stock and very nice orig action finish plus mismatched stock metal.

As a shooter $1000 would be more like it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tangeant:
$1800 pass.

Nice but not original. Screams restoration esp the very worn stock and very nice orig action finish plus mismatched stock metal.

As a shooter $1000 would be more like it.
View Quote

I'm going with this, I bet someone found a nice matching sporterized rifle and put it back to military configuration with a replacement stock and bands.

It's nice but not $1800 nice.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By surplusnut:

I'm going with this, I bet someone found a nice matching sporterized rifle and put it back to military configuration with a replacement stock and bands.

It's nice but not $1800 nice.
View Quote

This was exactly my impression as well, rescued sporter.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By LedZeppelin:
Without pulling the action from the stock and checking the handguard and stock numbers...  

It looks okay.  Bluing and stock looks original and in pretty solid shape.  Might be a little steep but if the only thing that's not matching are the bands that's probably about what you'd see it listed for on various collector trader websites.  If the stock doesn't match I'd feel a lot better at $1400-1500.
View Quote

I would feel good up to 1600.   After that not so much

But it really comes down to how much the OP wants it

The value will continue to go up and will probably be worth 1800 or more in about 5 years
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks everyone! Very helpful. Saved me a bunch!
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:15:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I would buy it if you can check the stock and handguard numbers if they match. I agree with the one guy it's probably a saved sporter rifle.

I see RC k98s easily in the 800 range now and maybe more.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:55:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kjedmondson182] [#20]
Originally Posted By Jerret_S:
View Quote
If you're not a collector and have an itch: RC, Yugo rebuild, or check out the recent batches of Portuguese K98s.
There is too much fuckery in Mauser market for layman to jump in IMHO.   Otherwise, it might be worth the premium to buy from reputable dealer (Simpsons, legacy, etc.).
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By kjedmondson182:
If you're not a collector and have an itch: RC, Yugo rebuild, or check out the recent batches of Portuguese K98s.
There is too much fuckery in Mauser market for layman to jump in IMHO.   Otherwise, it might be worth the premium to buy from reputable dealer (Simpsons, legacy, etc.).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kjedmondson182:
Originally Posted By Jerret_S:

The Portuguese ones are a good buy.  Many are all matching with excellent bores

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Having owned 150+ K98ks I can say I to am fooled by humped rifles as there are some good forgers.

This one does not (IMO) looked messed with except the bands etc but if you can not take it apart and see the stock and handguard numbers a strong pass. If stock/HG do not match match $1500 would be high but the way these keep rising in price safe enough. More than $1500 only if both stock and HG match

The K98k.com forum is run by the guys that wrote the excellent 3 books on K98ks that corrected the many errors in Law (BBOTW) and other Mauser books and I suggest you head over there and post these pictures and get advise from the real "Experten"
You should run everything past that site on K98ks. I do and when I didn't I wished I had
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top