Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2024 7:07:26 PM EDT
So I’m looking for a little more accuracy from my Lage Max 11/15 upper.  It currently has the stock 10.5” barrel and I’m thinking of stretching it to at least 14.5”.  I contemplated 16” but with the suppressor attached it gets long real quick but I’m not ruling that out.  I’d like a heavier profile barrel but would like to retain the Odin adjustable gas block (.750”).  The Lage upper will take any M16 barrel so I’m looking for a great barrel with the hardest steel for extended drum dumps. Thanks in advance and here are some pics for the heck of it.  Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Barrel length does not correlate with accuracy
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:21:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tazaroo] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By StealthyBlagga:
Barrel length does not correlate with accuracy
View Quote

So a 20" match grade barrel isn't more accurate than a 10.5" blaster barrel?  Barrel length most certainly does affect velocity which could affect longer distance accuracy one would think.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:38:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GarrettJ] [#3]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:51:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:48:15 AM EDT
[#5]
So anyways….any thoughts from the peanut gallery on a decent machine gun barrel manufacturer?  I’m thinking maybe a 14.5” Colt SOCOM barrel or a LMT.  🤔
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:07:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Deerhurst] [#6]
Originally Posted By Tazaroo:
So anyways….any thoughts from the peanut gallery on a decent machine gun barrel manufacturer?  I’m thinking maybe a 14.5” Colt SOCOM barrel or a LMT.  🤔
View Quote

That's your take away from a very informative post?

If all you want to do is blast get a couple cheap barrels from someplace like right to bear.

If you want to test your accuracy get a faxon or Noveske or similar. I've had very good luck with those for accuracy.

Chromed bores will hold up well. Nitride holds up well.

After all , it's open bolt rifle caliber. The accuracy is now abut  you, not the barrel. I have no problem ringing 12" plates at 100-200 yards offhand with my Max15 on semi and it's original barrel.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:18:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tazaroo] [#7]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

If all you want to do is blast get a couple cheap barrels from someplace like right to bear.

If you want to test your accuracy get a faxon or Noveske or similar. I've had very good luck with those for accuracy.

After all , it's open bolt rifle caliber. The accuracy is now abut  you, not the barrel. I have no problem ringing 12" plates at 100-200 yards offhand with my Max15 on semi and it's original barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

@Deerhurst

While it was an informative post, it deviated from my original question.  Thanks for the input GarrettJ. My question seemed to be simple in just looking for a decent quality manufacturer, 4140 steel m16 barrel in the 14.5 to 16 inch length, heavy profile with a .750 GB.  I never searched the web for one so that’s why I came here.  I know it’s an open bolt gun and most is on me.  I’m just trying to narrow the variables down. Thanks. 👍🏻. If I came off as rude it was unintentional. ✌️
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:38:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#8]
It’s a range toy… 10.5 with a cheap small direct thread can (YHM turbo or something). As someone who has had a Max 11/15 and full auto sears…

A) ballistics/velocity don’t matter on range toys.  You can’t shoot accurately using with open bolt guns anyways… not even in semi. They rock too much before the shot even fires.

B) shooting a 10.5” full auto with a brake or comp is extra impressive to newbies. And really fun for just making a lot of noise

C) it’s already a REALLY long and front heavy setup so a 10.5” will handle more like a 14.5” AR
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#9]
If you’re talking about doing extended drum dumps, it probably won’t be a more accurate barrel for long.

The 14.5” SOCOM barrel would not be a bad choice. Centurion makes a nice one that is chrome-lined and cold hammer forged that would be good for long life. FN also makes chrome-lined CHF barrels, though I’m not much of a fan of the government profile they usually come in.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Just curious what tools/jig you'll use to hold the upper in the vise?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:58:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DirtyHandsRob] [#12]
Originally Posted By GarrettJ:

Lage makes a set of vice blocks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DirtyHandsRob:
Just curious what tools/jig you'll use to hold the upper in the vise?

Lage makes a set of vice blocks.

Yea I see that. I'm worried about breaking the barrel extension pin.

ETA: I should have added because of adding a suppressor mount.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I just did quick change barrels and swap out as situation dictates.

7.5" flamethrower barrel
10" fart around barrel
16" for more sustained mag dumps

Haven't tried a 20" yet, but it will absolutely have a bipod.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DirtyHandsRob:

Yea I see that. I'm worried about breaking the barrel extension pin.

ETA: I should have added because of adding a suppressor mount.
View Quote

When I am installing/uninstalling muzzle devices, I put the barrel in the vise, not the receiver.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By NAM:
I just did quick change barrels and swap out as situation dictates.

7.5" flamethrower barrel
10" fart around barrel
16" for more sustained mag dumps

Haven't tried a 20" yet, but it will absolutely have a bipod.
View Quote

@NAM

That’s an awesome idea! Thanks. 👍🏻
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:31:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#16]

@NAM

That’s an awesome idea! Thanks. 👍🏻
View Quote

Works great for caliber changes too; .300 BO and 5.56 are simple barrel changes, separate carrier/bolt assembly for 7.62x39...

I went with the Dolos system, as it is cheaper and Lage had instructions at the time. The Crye Havoc is more stable, but more expensive.

https://www.max-11.com/Instructions/DOLOS%20Modification.pdf
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Heavy 16" 5.56
7.5" 5.56
16" .300 BO
7.5" 7.62x39

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:07:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#19]

What is the carry handle you have on your “heavy”?
View Quote

M60 carry handle on an old scope ring homebrew setup. It's not pretty, but it works.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top