Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2024 8:17:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Romano316]
Thanks for looking.

(I looked through the forum and last 3-4 pages of the pinned thread).

This summer I rattle canned a few knife sheaths in Multicam and was happy with the results. Here is a sheath on my belt next to some Esstac gear and Mechanix gloves in Multicam pattern.

Attachment Attached File

I then tried M81 and was not too happy with the results. My self critique is the sand color is too bright, green is too olive and not enough forest, and the brown is too chocolaty.

Attachment Attached File

Overall, I am not displeased, but have a few more sheaths to do in M81 and want to try some new colors, without going back to the drawing board or buying a ton of different colors to test..

My question for those that feel you successfully replicated M81: what colors did you use, and can you post some pictures if you have them?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
My question is how you get the paint to stay on?

I sprayed down a sheath a few years ago when "tan" of some sort and it was scratching off in a few hours.   Was the plastic black sheath that Fallkniven sells, and I was overseas, so kind of ran with what I found.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NotIssued:
My question is how you get the paint to stay on?

I sprayed down a sheath a few years ago when "tan" of some sort and it was scratching off in a few hours.   Was the plastic black sheath that Fallkniven sells, and I was overseas, so kind of ran with what I found.
View Quote

I did a very thorough prep with acetone and handled the sheath with gloves after that. I let the paint sit overnight before putting the next set of stickers or coat of paint on it.

I did 3-4 coats of flat matte clear coat after, front & back. The finish is relatively impact & scratch resistant, but very susceptible to heavy duty solvents.

You can see a few scratches, but whatever.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:43:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#3]
I agree with your assessments on the colors, especially the sand.     Gun shops, and especially bow shops, often carry rattle cans of paint in typical camo colors that would probably be more to your liking.   Sorry, I don't have make/model info, though.   Rustoleum also makes a "camouflage" line that may work for you.

Hunters Specialties also makes a line:
Amazon Product
  • The Hunter Specialties Kit Paint Perm Spray Camo is Comes with 4 12oz cans

As does Krylon

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:03:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: captexas] [#4]
A few months ago I did an AR in M81 using only Krylon camouflage spray paints and Freedom Stencils.  I used their camo Khaki for the light color as their Sand color is way too light, camo brown, and camo  olive.  The black is the original finish of the AR as I didn't feel like adding another layer of paint to to do black.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top