Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2024 1:43:52 PM EDT
Looks interesting for sure.  I really like the ELD-M in several calibers that I have tried them.  I wonder if this is much of an improvement?

I plan to listen to this VIDEO while I cut the grass tonight.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:21:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#2]
Don't mention they are available or where they are being sold the cheapest.  

I think they'll be a viable option for multiple reasons. No need for that. dryflash3
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:57:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By number40Fan:
Don't mention they are available or where they are being sold the cheapest.  
View Quote

AmmoSeek is your friend.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think these can be loaded to mag length in an AR15.... I think they are similar in profile/length to the 75 ELDM, but with some of the lead taken out to get the weight down to 62 gr.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ZA206:
I don't think these can be loaded to mag length in an AR15.... I think they are similar in profile/length to the 75 ELDM, but with some of the lead taken out to get the weight down to 62 gr.
View Quote

Watch around the 23:00 mark, they discuss the 62 bullet.  No they are not mag compatible and one guy said 1/8" twist or tighter.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:32:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Seems silly to not use the 73 profile. I was hoping for an alternative to the 60gr TMK as an M855 trajectory match.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#7]
A Hornady rep over on Snipers Hide has been discussing these since the new ELD-VT bullets were teased. Seems like the 62gr .224 one was designed with the new 22ARC round in mind, which makes sense. Trying to get 22-250-like performance out of an AR by way of a lighter bullet. Most factory 22-250 rifles don't have a fast enough twist rate to use these, FWIW.

The 100gr .264 seems like a winner in 6.5G if you're going for yotes with an AR.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, I was thinking more along the .264 and up but .224 is interesting too.  I personally like the Hornady HPBT Match bullets in .264/.308 but getting out past say 500 I like the ELDMs much better.  They help cover for some of my flaws...

Didn't get to the grass or "listen" to the video yet.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:30:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: crwdplsr] [#9]
I just bought some 80 grain 6mm to try out

Very long for its weight

Says right on the box 1:8 twist
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:29:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Seems silly to not use the 73 profile. I was hoping for an alternative to the 60gr TMK as an M855 trajectory match.
View Quote

I'm curious........... you have a trajectory match to the M855?
So you wanted to "clone" the M855?  
May I ask why?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:09:35 AM EDT
[#11]
The 62gr .224 bullets are very interesting and I was looking at getting some. They have a G7 BC similar to the Sierra 77gr TMK and I was looking to use them for 200 & 300 yard stages in high power. If the ogive is too long to be loaded in the magazine they won't work for my purposes. I'll stick with TMKs for now.

That being said, an ELD-VT that was 80gr. would be very interesting for 600 yard stages.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TGH456E:

May I ask why?
View Quote
The 60gr TMK is near enough 0.9" long. A tenth longer than most 62gr lead cores and similar to  M855. I was gonna say I can't afford Green box, but the prices listed while OOS look reasonable, so I may not need Red box. Alas there's still a wait.

My equivalent of 1960s NM M1 ball or Palma .308. "Service" ammunition that will shoot worth a damn and match BDCs with less fuss.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By bpm990d:

That being said, an ELD-VT that was 80gr. would be very interesting for 600 yard stages.
View Quote
It would probably need a 6 twist.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#14]
It would probably need a 6 twist.

View Quote

We are shooting 90 Sierras & 88 Hornadys out of 7s. I bet they would stabilize out of a 6.5 twist, but proof would be in the shooting.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:47:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGH456E] [#15]
The 60gr TMK is near enough 0.9" long. A tenth longer than most 62gr lead cores and similar to  M855. I was gonna say I can't afford Green box, but the prices listed while OOS look reasonable, so I may not need Red box. Alas there's still a wait.

My equivalent of 1960s NM M1 ball or Palma .308. "Service" ammunition that will shoot worth a damn and match BDCs with less fuss.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

May I ask why?

Wow, ok.
I'd not heard of someone cloning the M855.  
And you were using the 60grain TMK to do that?
Why not just buy the surplus pulled m855 bullets and remake it that way?  

Are you talking about the M855 or M855A1 ?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#16]
The 62gr .224 bullets are very interesting and I was looking at getting some. They have a G7 BC similar to the Sierra 77gr TMK and I was looking to use them for 200 & 300 yard stages in high power. If the ogive is too long to be loaded in the magazine they won't work for my purposes. I'll stick with TMKs for now.

View Quote

Interesting article...............  what the Engineers say about the design etc of these bullets is interesting.
You should watch it.

FWIW..........Watch around the 23:00 mark, they discuss the 62 bullet.  No they say they are not mag compatible and one guy said 1/8" twist or tighter.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Interesting article...............  what the Engineers say about the design etc of these bullets is interesting.
You should watch it.

FWIW..........Watch around the 23:00 mark, they discuss the 62 bullet.  No they say they are not mag compatible and one guy said 1/8" twist or tighter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You should watch it.

I goofed up and bought some the other day before I realized they wouldn't mag load.

So for the other reading-challenged persons like myself, the 62s are not AR compatible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top