Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2023 10:51:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb33]
The rule to make the list should be that companies that currently make semi-auto belt-feds from start to finish without a customer needing to source anything or provide any kits, receivers, etc to the manufacturer. ie, You can go to their web site and purchase an already-made complete firearm.

Semi-auto belt-feds aren't that common and most are made by small companies.  In fact, to my knowledge, the only semi-auto belt fed that's made by a large gun company is the FN M249S.  I suppose you might be able to classify OOW as one, and they manufacture the M240-SLR.  Outside of those, I am not aware of any large companies that make semi-auto belt feds.

Ice House manufacturing builds 1919A4's from kits, along with MG42/M53's - perhaps some others.  ORF used to make some 1919's.

If people want to post here some additional companies where you can buy a completed, ready-to-use semi-auto belt-fed, I'm happy to update this list.

Semi-Auto Belt Fed ModelCaliber(s)Company NameWeb Site/ContactNotes
M249S5.56x45mmFNhttps://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fn-m249s/ Standard model, Para model, Black or FDE
M240-SLR7.62x51mmOhio Ordnance Workshttps://www.oowinc.com/exclusives/semi-auto/m240-slr/
M2-SLR.50 BMGOhio Ordnance Workshttps://www.oowinc.com/exclusives/semi-auto/m2-slr/

MCR5.56x45mm
FightLite
https://fightlite.com/mcr-556-df
various upper configurations

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#1]
https://fightlite.com/mcr-556-df
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Vector Arms used to make semi RPDs....
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Falfreak:
View Quote

Yep, but I think the list should be current manufacturers - as if someone wanted to go out and buy one now; they could - independent of trying to find one on Gunbroker.  There are a lot of other companies that made semi-auto belt-feds that are long out of business or no longer make belt-fed's now.

Hi-DesertDog is another one that used to make semi-auto belt-feds, but no longer does that despite still being in business.  They are busy with government contracts.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Dennis at Midwest Metal Creations has made a couple for me.  Latest is a ZB37, he does fine work.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:26:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Michael's Machines

HK21/23E clones
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TheYellowThing:
Michael's Machines

HK21/23E clones
View Quote

Unless I'm missing something, this is their "ordering" page for the belt-fed:  http://www.michaelsmachines.com/mm_23e.htm

It's not terribly informative on the process to order one; it's just: "call me".  I'm trying to avoid modifying the list for the 'companies' that operate like that and instead just include those that you can go to their site and get a list of vendors to buy from, or go to their site and just order right there.

MM looks like it's one of those that you have to call to determine what config you want, what parts he has available, what you (or he) might be able to source, appx build time, cost, etc.  While those are fine, I fear that the list may become untenable to manage if we include builders who work like that.

I am also fully cognizant that most builders of semi-auto belt-feds are one individual who works that way because their customer base is significantly smaller than that of regular semi-auto firearms and they cannot afford to build them on their dime and stock them, waiting for someone to buy.  Those 'companies' also are a bit more fickle in that they may stop working for a certain period of time (for whatever reasons:  vacation, illness, workload, unavailability of parts, etc).
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:05:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Freedom Ordinance FM9

I’ll be adapting the drum pouch to work with a couple of Shrike lowers (Wyoming and Cryo) .
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:11:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HKPDW:
Freedom Ordinance FM9

I'll be adapting the drum pouch to work with a couple of Shrike lowers (Wyoming and Cryo) .
View Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they make complete firearms - just AR uppers.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Falfreak:
View Quote

DSA did semi RPD's as well up until a few years ago
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 10:02:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Manticore_Arms] [#11]
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I acknowledge that and agree...  but there are quite a few that pop up and make a run and then go away for a while.  There are also really small single-man outfits that do the same and trying to keep a list updated like that seems futile.

However, if there is a definitive list of semi-auto belt fed builders that is relatively static, even if they have ebbs and flows as to when the build, we can put that up there.  However, in my experience with some of them - it's a mixed bag.  Some of them will do complete builds and you will get your gun in 2-12 months, and some will require the buyer to source specific parts for the build...
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I would put Michaels Machines up there. He always has MM23Es and MM21Es ready to go. Theres a wait if you want to customize it like weld a top rail, or different sights and finishes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#14]
What about Machine Gun Armory
http://machinegunarmory.com/indexMilitary.html
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Dex223:
What about Machine Gun Armory
http://machinegunarmory.com/indexMilitary.html
View Quote
I don't think they offer semi-auto versions anymore.

HDD and MGA didn't when I contacted them a year or so ago, anyway.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Len at Historic Arms is still building Bren guns. I know they are not belt fed. But they are in the same category. Most he builds any more are to order and I know he is getting down towards the bottom of the stack on some parts.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 6:20:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Lowers for the Fightlite MCR

https://www.cryostructure.com/product/purpose-built-ar-15-belt-fed-100-lower-receiver-bfar/
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:52:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Third_Rail] [#19]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
Anyone making semi RPDs or RPKs?
View Quote

DSArms was doing RPDs for a long time but I think production ceased.

RPKs are mag fed aren't they?

ETA: What about the Freedom Ordnance belt fed 9x19mm? I love mine with the QD barrels. I tend to swap the barrel every few hundred rounds at the range.

ETA2: I see - they don't offer the complete setup anymore. Just an upper. Doesn't fit the rules now.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Does anyone have an opinion of the quality of a TNW .50 semi
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By parasales:
Does anyone have an opinion of the quality of a TNW .50 semi
View Quote

I have one. Seems well made and has never given me any trouble. Ive only gone through 100 +/- rounds though.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought a Hilux with the intent of making into a technical, a' la what we used in Afghanistan.

I'll never afford a true MG, so this thread is relevant to me.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't forget the OOW M249 semi:

OOW M249 S.A.W.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By edman99:
Don't forget the OOW M249 semi:

OOW M249 S.A.W.
View Quote
Unfortunately, they don't offer the M249 in semi-auto - only full auto.

They DO offer the M240B in semi-auto though M240-SLR).
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#26]
After many years out of production Freedom Ordnance is working on the next iteration of our beltfed 9mm upper for the AR15/M16. We have a waitlist that has been compiled on our website over the years, we will be sending out some polls to get customer feedback to help guide the direction of this new version. If you haven't already go to our site to signup for the waitlist and when we send out surveys you can add your thoughts
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 1:35:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 9mmBeltfed:
After many years out of production Freedom Ordnance is working on the next iteration of our beltfed 9mm upper for the AR15/M16. We have a waitlist that has been compiled on our website over the years, we will be sending out some polls to get customer feedback to help guide the direction of this new version. If you haven't already go to our site to signup for the waitlist and when we send out surveys you can add your thoughts
View Quote

Honestly, the free and open-source 'RBC-9' project that's been sailing the seas for about a year now ought to have killed market interest for a belt-fed PCC because 3DP has gotten to the point where it can handle the pressure from those rounds. Freedom Ordnance should stick to their new FG-15 gatling gimmick and quit on their belt-feds. I remember calling them not 1, but over 2 years ago, and they told me they would have some in-stock soon. I think the last ones they ever made were the only ones they ever sold.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By AKzgalore:

Honestly, the free and open-source 'RBC-9' project that's been sailing the seas for about a year now ought to have killed market interest for a belt-fed PCC because 3DP has gotten to the point where it can handle the pressure from those rounds. Freedom Ordnance should stick to their new FG-15 gatling gimmick and quit on their belt-feds. I remember calling them not 1, but over 2 years ago, and they told me they would have some in-stock soon. I think the last ones they ever made were the only ones they ever sold.
View Quote

The RBC-9 looks like an interesting project. I would love to see one working and check it out. We believe in Freedom and citizens making their own firearms. 3d printing is amazing so we champion anyone with innovation in that space that allows everyone access. We make stuff, other people make stuff. None of that is a threat as it all moves us forward as a community.

Im sorry for the response you got when you called not sure who you spoke with. We have a few versions of our beltfed 9mm in different stages of development it has never been a dead project but demand for our FX9 was crazy for 6 years. The belt fed takes up a lot of machine resources so it had to sit for awhile. I have 30 on the shelf plus hundreds of parts but those were held for warranty because we stand by our product. We could have put them all on gunbroker for 3 times what the retail was but that's not in our ethics. We gave one away last year the winner is very happy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I find this sad. You say that you had 30 units sitting on the shelf and you could have sold them three times over. I get that you are the messenger. I find it sad that "the boss" would have you out here shilling for his product and have to take the th frustration of the  market that your boss  chose to abandon.

A 9mm beltfed upper is certainly a niche product. Once a niche  market is saturated, it would take a while to build demand. Freedom Ordinance abandoned the 9mm beltfed for years. I do appreciate that FO kept parts for warranty work. But I don't anticipate the lack of communication. I get that the lack of communication was not your fault. But I, for one, am very reticent buying from a company that is going to leave me in the dark. If I owned an upper but wanted to purchase another barrel or two, more links,  and pouches to store the linked ammo in. That isn't "warranty work " and the website has said for years tha everything is out of stock. Could a little of the capacity of the shop been put toward maintaining this product line? I would think so. But your boss chose not to. And now has set you up to try and build excitement for a product the has been abandoned for years. That is your choice to take this job,  but you really don't expect the community to come running back and to ignore the years of abandonment do you? If FO has a new or long abandoned product to bring to market, then do so. But I for one find it insulting that FO doesn't acknowledge that they abandoned this product for years and now wants the community to be excited, when nothing has actually happened. So bring whatever to market.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By canon3825:
I find this sad. **Deleted the rest because it wont let me respond if the quote is too large**

Scott
View Quote

Scott

I am the first Freedom Ordnance employee and the person who sold the 9mm beltfed until the FX9 went in to production. Im not a shill. If you want to discuss this further I am more than happy to talk with you on a phone call. Ask anyone on this forum about my customer service they will tell you Im 100% on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top