Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2024 10:39:20 PM EDT
I have an MP5SD that just isn't cutting it for me during some local competitios. My goal is to be able to get half-IPSC targets at 150 yards with pretty regularly consistency (let's say, 8/10).

I'm considering selling it to get something else, but I wanted to gauge what everyone else is getting.

Strongly considering an APC9, but open to alternatives.

What PCC do you have, and what sort of groups are you getting?
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 11:08:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TactiCoolBro] [#1]
I was hitting a 6” plate probably 8/10 shots at 100 yards with my Stribog with crappy 115gr FMJ. And my eyes suck shooting a non magnified optic that far. Gun is certainly capable of better than I can shoot it I’m sure.
Not sure how that compares to an IPSC target.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 4:19:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dblazevich] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TactiCoolBro:
I was hitting a 6” plate probably 8/10 shots at 100 yards with my Stribog with crappy 115gr FMJ. And my eyes suck shooting a non magnified optic that far. Gun is certainly capable of better than I can shoot it I’m sure.
View Quote

I think that's a pretty close equivalent to a half-IPSC at 150. Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TactiCoolBro:
View Quote

More or less the same experience with my Evo.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve shot to your standard with a Glock 17 in a flux brace. Gotta aim a bit high but once you figure out hold it’s not hard.

Gun with good ammo should be able to do that.

Sounds like something is funky
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#5]
My AP5 was printing cloverleafs at 25yds suppressed with 147 HST. Using bulk subsonic reloads that it’s not zeroed for, I can easily hit a C torso at 100. Never tried anything more precise than that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I can stack holes at 25 yards with bulk 115gr brass ammo with my GHM9 when supported. The gun is super accurate. You can extrapolate the accuracy from there out if 9mm was more accurate. 100 yards C zones are not difficult with the known holdover.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 9:11:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TactiCoolBro] [#7]
Originally Posted By PineappleDevil:
I can stack holes at 25 yards with bulk 115gr brass ammo with my GHM9 when supported.
View Quote

A Hi Point cabrine can do that. Not saying much.

Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I haven't benched a PCC in a while, but from my experience shooting some over the past few years ...

CZ EVO S1 was acceptably accurate to about 100 yards.
HK UMP was unacceptably accurate at 100 yards.
HK USC was marginally accurate at 100 yards.
MP5 variants were acceptably accurate to about 100 yards.

The only PCC that still interests me is the MP5.  You're having accuracy issues with your SD.  Can I assume you have a Form 4'd FA?  What is the round count on it?  Maintaining your suppressor properly?  It has been 20+ years since I shot a FA MP5 and MP5K but remember being impressed with their performance on the burst setting while shooting in sub-gun matches.

I'll try to take my SP5 to the range this week and actually shoot it off a bench.  I already have my USP Elite and Expert in the car for today's range trip or I'd grab the neutered MP5.  If I get there again I'll post my results.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By PineappleDevil:
I can stack holes at 25 yards with bulk 115gr brass ammo with my GHM9 when supported. The gun is super accurate. You can extrapolate the accuracy from there out if 9mm was more accurate. 100 yards C zones are not difficult with the known holdover.
View Quote

Double your distance and train.  Once you're getting nickel sized groups at 50 then double it again.  PCC/sub-guns really start to struggle at the century mark from my experience. Granted, I always shoot cheap ammo and do not take the time to match a round to the gun but under 50 yards off a bench you should be getting 5/8" or less groups with an optic.

Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:56:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dblazevich] [#10]
Thanks for the info all

I have my eyes on the 8.9" APC9. Trying to decide if I want to go for it or not.

If anyone is in the market for an MP5SD, keep your eyes on the EE!
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:37:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kenzo] [#11]
My HK SP5 unsuppressed, benched.  

1st pic: 25 yds iron sights, indoor range, WWB 115gr FMJ, 3 shot group.

2nd pic: 10 yds, MRO, indoor range, Speer 115gr FMJ, 3 shot group.

I'm satisfied.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:42:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kenzo] [#12]
**double post
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:48:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Istolethisname] [#13]
Try different ammo if you haven't already. I got some remington 124s out of necessity one day and they shot lights out compared to the 124 federal I swear by. This is in a mp5k-pdw sub gun....

Edit: damn autocorrect....
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Istolethisname:
Try different ammo if you haven't already. I got some remington 124s out of necessity one day and they shot lights out compared to the 124 federal I swear by. This is in a mp5k-pdw sub gun....

Edit: damn autocorrect....
View Quote

Definitely try different ammo.  Yesterday I took two HK handguns in 45ACP to the range with: Federal Champion 230gr FMJ, S&B 230gr FMJ, Fiocchi 230gr FMJ, Remington 230gr Golden Sabers and Federal HST 230gr +P.  The accuracy difference, off hand at 10 yards, between the three FMJ loads was surprising.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 5:56:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dblazevich] [#15]
Last year I tried a few different ammo brands, I'll run the test again and see if I can expand my testing

I already sent it back to TPM and they were not super helpful. If I wanted to give it one last shot, who would y'all recommend I send it to to troubleshoot?
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#16]
For distance, go heaver on the bullet weight. It sounds counter intuitive, but with 9mm it works for some reason.

Steve
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:20:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bravo5two] [#17]
Originally Posted By dblazevich:
I have an MP5SD that just isn't cutting it for me during some local competitios. My goal is to be able to get half-IPSC targets at 150 yards with pretty regularly consistency (let's say, 8/10).
What PCC do you have, and what sort of groups are you getting?
View Quote

My Scorpion carbine with PA Cyclop 1x can do that, hitting the 1/2 size IPSC steel (MGM B/C zone reactive target) at 200 yds from a barricade support, ammo is the 115 gr S&B (1350 fps chrono'd out of the Scorpion 16" barrel).  At 25 yds from a bench rest, it printed 5-shots same hole. Factory trigger was upgraded with springs kit (HBi?) before this test group back in 2017.  The latest upgrade in 2020 - Timney trigger unit really made this carbine more fun to shoot.

Link Posted: 1/19/2024 8:44:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Danus_ex] [#18]
If my POF-5 does under an inch at 50 (5-shot, 158gr, front rest only), my WD-9 does ~1.35", and my APC-9K does ~2".

If you're shooting an MP5SD, you're probably using 115gr and a lot of that is total shit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#19]
More of regular IPSC size, but I was consistently hitting steel at 250 yards with my AP5P, MPX-K, and B&T GHM9c; all short barrel versions (none suppressed). Simply ridiculous accuracy for something I would never consider using at that range...but it's nice to know suppressive fire is pretty accurate

I'm wondering if it might be suppressor alignment? My son's DD Mk18 is more accurate suppressed than unsuppressed (and yes, he has the zero tagged for both situations although they almost always run their duty SBR suppressed).

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#20]
The MP5 SD was designed to shoot + P ammunition.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a 8" Freedom Ordnance FX-9 that shoots into 2" at 50 yards with Federal 147 HST. I have been very happy with the gun and it has had 0 malfs over 500 or so rounds.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:54:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's what an 8" BBL Stribog does at 100 yards with two different ammo's.  Top is hot 115 HP defense loads, bottom is mild 115 FMJ American Reloading pulls of mixed-brand bullets.  Gun is zero'd for 25 yards, which is decently close to 100 yard zero as well.  X marks the aim point.

This is with a simple red dot.

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:50:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Here's what an 8" BBL Stribog does at 100 yards with two different ammo's.  Top is hot 115 HP defense loads, bottom is mild 115 FMJ American Reloading pulls of mixed-brand bullets.  Gun is zero'd for 25 yards, which is decently close to 100 yard zero as well.  X marks the aim point.

https://i.postimg.cc/bJTkj9mj/Screenshot-20240217-210716-Range-Buddy.jpg
View Quote

What software/app is that?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By chemcmndr:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@lazyengineer inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 6:19:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#25]
Originally Posted By gotigers:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gotigers:

Range Buddy.   One of very few Apps I paid full price for, but you don't have to.  Good app.  A little bit of a learning curve and has some nuances, but once you figure it out, it's very useful.

I also paid for Strelok Pro - thank God.  Best one out there, and now you can't get it (Sanctioned), but you can keep it if already have it.

(well... heck,  I thought I paid for it.  I can't find Range budy as a paid app in my purchase history, and also it removed Strelok Pro from my purchase history - though I do still have the app.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top