Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2024 12:37:28 PM EDT
I just got this new factory FN SCAR barrel today. Upon initial inspection I originally thought it was corrosion but looking closer I think it's just dried caked on preservative grease (there's a lot of orange grease in the bag it was sealed in, it's sticky almost like cosmoline) . I've tried scrubbing with CLP and Gun Scrubber and neither have made any significant progress in getting it off. Anybody have any tips to try? For the amount of money I paid for this barrel I'm a little pissed off I have to work on it now to not look like shit.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Heat gun, brake cleaner and a toothbrush.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sierra5:
Mineral spirits
View Quote

This and a toothbrush.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Diesel and a brush. Or WD-40.  Unless you can find REAL mineral spirits and not the crappy substitute that everyone sells.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Heat it up with a heat gun & it will drip right off.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I soaked it for an hour in mineral spirits and scrubbed some more it did nothing. WTF kind of grease is FN using that this difficult to remove?

I emailed the dealer I bought it from and he even sent me pictures of two other barrels he had in stock and they were all like this
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:15:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stevelish] [#7]
Naptha.

ETA:  It may actually be rust. Try rust remover?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#8]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#9]
MEK
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Try some brake cleaner.  I used it to clean up some gunky NOS FAL mags. Just don’t do it inside the house…your wife won’t be happy about it
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:39:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#11]
Denatured alcohol or acetone and a stiff nylon brush.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Shoot it
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:22:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#14]
what barrel and where did you get it? I am thinking of SBRing one of mine
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:04:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mak0] [#15]
Update: It took a ridiculous amount of scrubbing with CLP and a wire brush but I managed to get most of it off

Originally Posted By coldair:
what barrel and where did you get it? I am thinking of SBRing one of mine
View Quote

It's a 10" factory barrel. TheArmories.com had the best price I could find and they shipped fast. Also responded quick to my email about the tough grease. Wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. Prepare for sticker shock though if you've never looked into what factory SCAR barrels go for..
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mak0:
Update: It took a ridiculous amount of scrubbing with CLP and a wire brush but I managed to get most of it off
View Quote

I hate to say it, but based on the looks of it in the picture, and the above bolded comments I think you have rust.
Being coated in grease or oil is not a 100% guarantee against rust. Moisture can still get through it.  Seen it many times buying new OLD stock parts (not just gun parts, but automotive parts too)

I have dealt with lots of old dried grease and oil for years. Some tough, some easy.
If acetone or carb cleaner and a tooth brush will not take it off, nothing will. I have never has a dried grease or oil not come off with either of those.
If it does not come off with those, it is not grease or oil.
Old locktite can be a bitch, as well as other substances like it.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Jeeps-And-Guns:

I hate to say it, but based on the looks of it in the picture, and the above bolded comments I think you have rust.
Being coated in grease or oil is not a 100% guarantee against rust. Moisture can still get through it.  Seen it many times buying new OLD stock parts (not just gun parts, but automotive parts too)

I have dealt with lots of old dried grease and oil for years. Some tough, some easy.
If acetone or carb cleaner and a tooth brush will not take it off, nothing will. I have never has a dried grease or oil not come off with either of those.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jeeps-And-Guns:
Originally Posted By mak0:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't rust. Not all of it was dry, some of it around the front sight was still a little sticky like cosmoline. What I think happened is whatever preservative they are using is staining the metal.

I threw out my packaging but you can see in the gunbroker listing how nasty they come: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1032951631
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I noticed something funny today, even the example on FN's website seemingly has some of the same stains visible on the gas block: https://fnestore.com/scar-16s-10-in-barrel-assembly
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#19]
IME, on 2 nib FS2000s and 2 nib Scars, all of them were like that. I assumed it was rust.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:
Shoot it
View Quote

I swear is this really such a novel concept? Another poor SCAR destined to be a show piece.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top