Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2024 5:19:33 PM EDT
Trading tomorrow for a 1895 45-70. How much ammo should I order to start off with. With a pistol or AR we all know 500 to 1000 rounds. Given the gun is basically chambered in $3 to $4 bill, is 100 rounds too many to reasonably get? I'll be sighing in a red dot and a scope for it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#1]
With the 45-70 there are so many different types of rounds that the various ammo manufactures make for the thing. Buy a few different weight bullets and see what you (and your rifle) like best. Note: there are three power levels that manufacturers load to for the 45-70. Make sure whatever you buy is rated for lever guns and then make sure your shoulder is ready for it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Polska_Kielbasa:
With the 45-70 there are so many different types of rounds that the various ammo manufactures make for the thing. Buy a few different weight bullets and see what you (and your rifle) like best. Note: there are three power levels that manufacturers load to for the 45-70. Make sure whatever you buy is rated for lever guns and then make sure your shoulder is ready for it.
View Quote

WHAT HE SAYS

GET 150 RDS LIGHTER LOADS FOR PRACTICE
GET 200 RDS HEAVY LOADS TO CUT THRU CHICOM ARMOR
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you reload? This is a cartridge that pays for itself once you've got the capability to do so.

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Save all your brass.  You will want it for reloading.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 7:29:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: burney] [#5]
Originally Posted By TheBeaverRetriever:
Do you reload? This is a cartridge that pays for itself once you've got the capability to do so.

View Quote

Exactly this - 45-70 is the only thing I have reloaded for that I got 100% cost recovery of dies/components back in the first 100 rounds.

And the fun you'll have with cowboy speed ammo in a lever gun is priceless.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote
Yes pistol mostly. Got a single stage and slowly getting set up for rifle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Got the gun today and found 3 boxes of ammo at the "high gun shop". A facebook acquaintance pointed me toward a reloading vendor that I didn't know about. Got 100 Brass and 100 Nickel  new Starline brass so now I just need powder and bullets.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Polska_Kielbasa:
View Quote

This. I've been buying up any 45-70 ammo I see. I even have a few boxes of subsonic, lol. Just because they were available at Academy. See what your gun likes and decide what you want to do with it. THEN buy what you need. I think it's good to have a little bit of everything, just in case, though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#9]
The straight walled cartridges are so easy to reload. I'd by a Rock Chucker kit, 100-200 pieces of Starline brass and go from there, if you plan to shoot it a lot..just a suggestion.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:00:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Work up a load you and the rifle likes. That is the reason for reloading. Have couple rifles that are super accurate but only with the reloads I make. All are rounds I can't buy at any price.

What good is a rifle you can't hit what your aiming at??
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:28:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm picking up an 1895SBL in a couple of days and in preparation ordered my first 80 rounds of ammo for it.

40 subsonic Hornady 410gr and 40 Hornady LEVERrevolution 325gr. Best price I could find for both was surprisingly opticsplanet - around $200 total.

Normally I like to shoot for minimum 1k rounds for even my least-shot guns, but this will likely be an exception.

Want to get a feel for how often I'll shoot it before I commit to replenishment.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:28:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheBeaverRetriever] [#12]
Look at the hodgdon website for reloading, then take a gander at how many grains it takes for a load with Titegroup. For a 410 grain bullet it's 13 grains of powder.

Contrast that with H335 over a 400 grain bullet and your max load is 58 grains.

Since there are 7000 grains in one pound, your subsonic loads get you well into plinking range if you can keep feeding the beast with lead and primers.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Spiffums:
Got the gun today and found 3 boxes of ammo at the "high gun shop". A facebook acquaintance pointed me toward a reloading vendor that I didn't know about. Got 100 Brass and 100 Nickel  new Starline brass so now I just need powder and bullets.
View Quote

Good choice.  I bought a Ruger No. 3 in .45/70 over thirty years ago and haven't fired a single factory round.  I reload pistol and rifle rounds, so I bought 100 cases from Midway, along with 300 and 350 grain bullets.  One of my reloading manuals had loads for Marlins and higher pressure loads for Rugers.  I was satisfied with the higher end Marlin loads.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By golfish:
The straight walled cartridges are so easy to reload.
View Quote

45-70 is tapered, it will likely stick in a sizing die if you don't lube it.  

If you're hunting keep in mind that the large variation in ammo strength will cause large variations in impact point.  Make sure you have a good zero for the ammo you're using when hunting.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Enough to kill a swarm of these.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:17:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: golfish] [#16]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

45-70 is tapered, it will likely stick in a sizing die if you don't lube it.  

View Quote

I've shot my buddies a couple times but never loaded it. I did pickup a bunch of starline 45-70 brass at the range last year.They look like a much bigger 357 case to me. I can't really see a taper. If I had die set I would be able to measure  it and than see the taper.

Thanks for the heads up. I'd like to get a 45-70 lever action some day. Definitely lube...
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:21:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#17]
In general "enough ammo or route to ammo to satisfy your pragmatic consumption for one full Presidential administration term", is my basic rule.

Fo 45-70, that could easily be as low as 100 rounds - maybe even 80
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:51:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#18]
Trading tomorrow for a 1895 45-70. How much ammo should I order to start off with. With a pistol or AR we all know 500 to 1000 rounds. Given the gun is basically chambered in $3 to $4 bill, is 100 rounds too many to reasonably get? I'll be sighing in a red dot and a scope for it.
View Quote

I've been wondering the same thing recently.  I've been out of the centerfire lever action arena for probably 20+ years, but recently bought a pair of Winchester 30-30s.  Now I have 2 guns and 0 rounds of ammo.  Both are 1960s unfired so I'm torn on what to do with them.  I bought them to use, but with 30-30Win running around $1.79 a round (locally when I see it) I wonder "how much do I really need"?  I don't plan on taking on an army of zombies with either gun, but do like the idea of having a libtard state friendly rifle that can accompany me when I travel.

TLDR

In your situation, I'd say 320 rounds.  160 light and 160 heavy.  Shoot no more than 60 of each so you have a solid reserve. When you get down to 100 of either then its time to buy another 100 rounds.  I know it sucks to pay $3 a round, but if you want to shoot a 45/70 and not reload its the price of admission.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#19]
It usually isn't the gun that hurts us financially.  It is always the accessories and support.

Most of us can work out spending $1000 on a rifle, but when you factor in improved sights and/or optic, sling, ammo ... suddenly your $1000 rifle is a $2000 rifle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:

I've been wondering the same thing recently.  I've been out of the centerfire lever action arena for probably 20+ years, but recently bought a pair of Winchester 30-30s.  Now I have 2 guns and 0 rounds of ammo.  Both are 1960s unfired so I'm torn on what to do with them.  I bought them to use, but with 30-30Win running around $1.79 a round (locally when I see it) I wonder "how much do I really need"?  I don't plan on taking on an army of zombies with either gun, but do like the idea of having a libtard state friendly rifle that can accompany me when I travel.

TLDR

In your situation, I'd say 320 rounds.  160 light and 160 heavy.  Shoot no more than 60 of each so you have a solid reserve. When you get down to 100 of either then its time to buy another 100 rounds.  I know it sucks to pay $3 a round, but if you want to shoot a 45/70 and not reload its the price of admission.
View Quote

If it makes you feel any better, 405 Winchester (when it becomes available) runs about $6.23 per round once you've factored shipping and taxes into the equation.

For 45-70 your best bet is to buy the brass in bulk and load it as you go along. Then one day, once you've got an ammo can or two of the stuff you'll find you're not so hard pressed anymore.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I have several of both.  I like them all.  But my go to is a Marlin 1895 GS.  I prefer straight grips to pistol grips, but again have both.  As to ammo once you find loads (because you are going to want them in every thing from cat sneezers to mammoth stoppers) that perform well in your rifle, obtain the sight settings for each.  Then no matter what you are using you can dial the sight in with ease.

My most commonly used round is a 300 gr JHP.  In my rifles it seems to be very accurate and it's OAL and bullet shape feed nicely.  Some of my other rounds will feed well in one rifle but not another.  By the way, the GS loves Garretts.  Me not so much but a PAST shoulder recoil pad makes us both happy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Came to say that
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#23]

TLDR

View Quote
30-30 is about as hard to get around here outside when Walmart and places get in their hunting ammo for the year. Saw 6 boxes at Wally and almost bought them.......and I don't even have a 30-30!
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#24]
It usually isn't the gun that hurts us financially.  It is always the accessories and support.

Most of us can work out spending $1000 on a rifle, but when you factor in improved sights and/or optic, sling, ammo ... suddenly your $1000 rifle is a $2000 rifle.
View Quote
I honestly didn't really wanna go the "tactical lever action" route but ended up ordering the Midwest Rail so I could hang a light on the end of the gun. I justified it to myself because it comes with taller than normal sights so I'll have them with my red dot. I've already got more in accessories than I want to think about for it. Then add on the stuff to reload......and I haven't even bought powder yet so I know that's gonna be a kick in the nuts.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:37:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheBeaverRetriever] [#25]
30-30 is about as hard to get around here outside when Walmart and places get in their hunting ammo for the year. Saw 6 boxes at Wally and almost bought them.......and I don't even have a 30-30!
View Quote

Black rifle disease has nothing on lever fever. I swear they just show up out of nowhere, and there's one in Clarksville I've got to go pick up next week.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

You should go find that .30-30 next
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Reload if you can,

I've bought 500 pieces of new r&p brass in bags I bought from a old man whom said had bought it long time ago and never got the reloading gear to do it,

I've also got another 10 boxes of factory winchester & remington I bought at a yard sale. And a several boxes from people who had sold their rifles and still had ammo.

I use a 425gr gc ranchdog modified lee mould that is specific sized for the over bore barrels on marlin 1895s, this bullet is my regular full power hunting load if I ever have to shoot buffalo or bears up close hahaha.

and a regular lee 405hb & 405gr fp to cast bullets to reload light to medium power loads.

I've shot hogs with the full up 425 load & 405hb light load and

didn't notice any difference in performance since they were plain jane big holes in, bust bones tear shit up inside, big holes out pass throughs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

This is so right on, Gary.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

This.  Don’t have 45-70 but even for 44 mag it’s a no-brainer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top