Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2020 12:23:49 AM EDT
Gents
Have an older production acr with the 16in barrel 1 in 9 twist. Trying to get the flash hider off. Is it rocksett? Torque? Loctite so I need to torch it? Any advice appreciated. Also noticed theres no flats. Anyone got a AAC flash hider tool?
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 1:30:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#1]
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#2]
In my experience, it’s just too much torque.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Penetrating oil, water soak, repeat.  Even with that, one had to milled off and another needed a long breaker bar.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Box it up and send it to Dana Beck.

I did the same thing with my AUG barrels, sent them to Pete Athens and let him take care of the removal properly.  These things are just too valuable to me to screw up in the garage with my lack of appropriate platform-specific fixtures.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Findsman:
Box it up and send it to Dana Beck.

I did the same thing with my AUG barrels, sent them to Pete Athens and let him take care of the removal properly.  These things are just too valuable to me to screw up in the garage with my lack of appropriate platform-specific fixtures.
View Quote

This.

I was afraid I was going to break something, even after letting it soak for a week. Took it to two local smiths, wouldn't budge.

Sent it to Templar and had it back in a week with the new Dead Air 3 prong mounted
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 1:27:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Sweet Jesus. ok ill give it a try at home and go from there.
I removed an Aug flash hider. Once. Took 30 min with a blowtorch and two guys. Never again
Since then I had Pete do the rest everytime I bought a new aug or barrel.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 2:04:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JsbsMarine:
I removed an Aug flash hider. Once. Took 30 min with a blowtorch and two guys. Never again
View Quote

Yeah some people get lucky and its really easy to get off, but either Remington is using way too much Rocksett, way too much torque, or both.

Templar has all the stuff needed to not break your shit.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JsbsMarine:
View Quote

Tried the blowtorch method (2 different smiths).  With rockset, heat may actually make it tougher to remove.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 10:41:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT1-285TH] [#9]

On a serious note, I sent my barrel to Pete to swap the OEM FH for an AAC 51t FH.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top