Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2023 11:39:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: urbanredneck]

pvs 14, PA md25 and a cheap IR light off amazon.

I've done zero night shooting. I've been getting pieces together for about 2 years. Finally decided to mock it up. Not sure if this is gonna get much in the way of distance mostly because red dot and PVS14 don't seem to see out too far but I've only played with it inside the house. I'd have to take it with me on vacation to test it out, don't think the locals will like me roaming around with my stick out.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Exact copy of my M4 in UZB in 2001.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Exact copy of my M4 in UZB in 2001.
View Quote

How far could you get a good sight pic?
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I could ditch the mount and add an ir pointer and head mount the PVS. Sure that help with visual scanning.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:05:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bowhntr6pt] [#4]
@urbanredneck

I’ve read and been told by a highly respected authority in the NV world PVS-14’s were never meant for weapon mounting. Damage from the shock can happen.

I’m not familiar with that red dot does it have a NV setting? If not you could inadvertently burn a spot into your tube.

I’ve used a similar set up with an Aimpoint and could easily hit coyote size targets out to 100 or so yards.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 2:10:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:
@urbanredneck

I’ve read and been told by a highly respected authority in the NV world PVS-14’s were never meant for weapon mounting. Damage from the shock can happen.

I’m not familiar with that red dot does it have a NV setting? If not you could inadvertently burn a spot into your tube.

I’ve used a similar set up with an Aimpoint and could easily hit coyote size targets out to 100 or so yards.
View Quote

@Bowhntr6pt

The red dot is a primary arms. It has 2 NV settings. Curious about the weapon mounting. Would not think that a 556 kicks that hard.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 4:06:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:

@Bowhntr6pt

The red dot is a primary arms. It has 2 NV settings. Curious about the weapon mounting. Would not think that a 556 kicks that hard.
View Quote

I was kind of surprised when we were told that in class. You would think it’s fine given the fact there’s a mount specifically for that.

I’ve done it in the past but won’t any more after being advised not to. I’m poor LOL and can’t afford to replace what I have.

Maybe it’s just one of those debatable things, but why risk damage?
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#7]

I was kind of surprised when we were told that in class. You would think it’s fine given the fact there’s a mount specifically for that.

I’ve done it in the past but won’t any more after being advised not to. I’m poor LOL and can’t afford to replace what I have.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:

@Bowhntr6pt

We need to get @183B0 back in here since he was rocking this in .mil.   18, did the PVS14s stand up under recoil long term?
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 2:02:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#8]
You will eventually burn a spot in your monocular if you do that.

You will have a good image out to about 70 yards. The PA optic has shit IR light transmission.

No telling about the IR LED. I have some that autogate my PVS14 so bad it makes seeing through an optic impossible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top