Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 12/30/2021 1:41:35 PM EDT
Maybe I have been under a rock, but this is news to me. I only purchased one solvent trap from them, and it is on a form 1. I’m not sure that this will matter since the letter says that the purchase was an illegal transfer. I called the local field office, but the lady that I was transferred to didn’t answer, so I had to leave a message.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#1]
News to me also my wife just called and said I have a letter from the ATF at my house
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Pic from OP

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link to mega thread Here

Leave it to the government to go after the law abiding instead of the criminals
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#6]
"Acting Special Agent In Charge" from Detroit, Michigan.

Wonder what BATFE/DC opinion is on these letters?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:12:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bookertbab] [#7]
I got a letter too. I didn't remember buying anything from them. Not sure what to do.

edit: I'll look in the other thread too now.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Op, did you get a letter or did you ... call them to preemptively comply or something?

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Got the letter today, very poorly worded, I'm sure intentionally...
Called my local office, guy called right back agreed it was badly written.
Told him i had an approved form1, gave him the SN, should be the end of it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup, same here.

Got a call from my wife.

Had ordered a tube and endcap that I form 1'd.

Guess I have to call and tell them the details of the approval?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pneumagger:
Op, did you get a letter or did you ... call them to preemptively comply or something?

View Quote

Got a letter. I did not make any preemptive contact.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#12]
There is a video on YouTube that has some thoughts on this.
Do a search for  " I hope you didn't buy one of these! - ATF Says it is ILLEGAL "
Basically the ATF thinks if the solvent trap had dimples on the baffles as a drill guide it is was silencer when you purchased it and should have a form 4 not a form 1.
And maybe an illegal unregistered can even if you have a from 1.
That is what I got from the video, but its just conjecture on my part.
The way .guv plays fast and loose with the law who knows.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#13]
So, are people contacting the local field office to get it sorted out, or lawyering up, or what?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Some people have contacted their local office and if you did a legal form 1, it seems you're fine.
To me it seems they just sent out mass letters trying to get people to possibly turn in parts they don't intent to build into a legal form 1.
But I'm just a blue collar worker bee, so what the fuck do I know.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SeaDog951:
There is a video on YouTube that has some thoughts on this.
Do a search for  " I hope you didn't buy one of these! - ATF Says it is ILLEGAL "
Basically the ATF thinks if the solvent trap had dimples on the baffles as a drill guide it is was silencer when you purchased it and should have a form 4 not a form 1.
And maybe an illegal unregistered can even if you have a from 1.
That is what I got from the video, but its just conjecture on my part.
The way .guv plays fast and loose with the law who knows.
View Quote

What if those are offset like Quietbore's?

And, how exactly does something which doesn't let a bullet pass through in an unmodified state constitute something which does?

Does this mean I have a vagina since my dick can technically be inverted? Clown world.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Got mine!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#17]
The letters are worth the paper they are printed on. Round file them. If they really need to talk to you about something, they will come to the door. The letters are a fishing expedition.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 6:33:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Logcutter] [#18]
Originally Posted By mnandy:
Maybe I have been under a rock, but this is news to me. I only purchased one solvent trap from them, and it is on a form 1. I’m not sure that this will matter since the letter says that the purchase was an illegal transfer. I called the local field office, but the lady that I was transferred to didn’t answer, so I had to leave a message.
View Quote

Have you heard anything back?

I don't necessarily want to just ignore it, but I've only got one form 1 can from years ago.  I'm assuming I bought something from DM when I built it, since I got a letter, but I also know I don't have anything that meets even the ATF's definition of illegal.  No spare baffle parts etc lying around or anything like that.  

Heck, I even sold my lathe last year.

So, I guess I'm wondering if you told them you built a form-1, they looked it up, and told you it's GTG?

Edit: @mnandy since I'm in your AO.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 1:39:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Logcutter:

Have you heard anything back?

I don't necessarily want to just ignore it, but I've only got one form 1 can from years ago.  I'm assuming I bought something from DM when I built it, since I got a letter, but I also know I don't have anything that meets even the ATF's definition of illegal.  No spare baffle parts etc lying around or anything like that.  

Heck, I even sold my lathe last year.

So, I guess I'm wondering if you told them you built a form-1, they looked it up, and told you it's GTG?

Edit: @mnandy since I'm in your AO.
View Quote

Haven’t heard anything back. I am assuming the the person that I left a message with was on vacation for the week or something.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By thorn653:Some people have contacted their local office and if you did a legal form 1, it seems you're fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thorn653:Some people have contacted their local office and if you did a legal form 1, it seems you're fine.

I wouldn't bet my freedom on that.
If the ATF is saying that anything DM sold was a silencer, your Form1 is worth shit.
The same as if you bought a silencer or just an individual baffle from Griffin. It'd need to transfer on a Form 4 (to you).
Originally Posted By flashooter:The letters are worth the paper they are printed on.

While that may be true, the important thing to realize is that they're most definitely a precursor of more to come.
Originally Posted By cavsct1983: how exactly does something which doesn't let a bullet pass through in an unmodified state constitute something which does?

Is this your first time dealing w/ the ATF or anything NFA?
A centering dimple, where an AR15's 3rd hole would go, can be deemed a machine gun.
This would only show consistency, on the ATF's part, not something new.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#21]
[b]Originally Posted By User55645:[wort
View Quote

Why, yes, yes it is.  5 stamps in and never an issue.  No clue  WTF I bought from DM, but guessing it was related to my only Form 1 can where the stamp was approved in 2016.

I don't have any spare "parts" for making suppressors.  I don't have any tools specific to making suppressors.  I don't own anything that could be considered "constructive intent."

Yet, here I am, a good little taxpayer, having to decide whether to lawyer up, ignore, or invite the man into my life.  

I'm having a hard time imagining the ATF getting a warrant for this on a person who got a tax stamp for a form-1 can during the timeframe I allegedly purchases "something" from DM, but then I remember all the FISA count warrants and start wondering if my cat needs a plate carrier......

Lawyering up isn't a big deal to me, but I can only imagine my wife's reaction

Link Posted: 1/1/2022 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mnandy:

Haven’t heard anything back. I am assuming the the person that I left a message with was on vacation for the week or something.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply.  Keep us updated.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2022 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Only thing I purchased from DM were YHM adapters and a threaded tube. Got the letter and after getting a good laugh I tossed it in the garbage.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Got my hate letter today. Delivered on Sunday by FedEx.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:05:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
I haven't seen anything yet.  Curiosity, when did those of you that received notices purchase from DM?  Probably been four years since I did.  

Sadly I still haven't finished the project.  Had my eye on a YHM end cap that never seemed to be in stock and the project get held up.
View Quote

Mine was probably 5 years old, for a YHM adapter.
Funny part is that particular adapter ended up in the trash because the acme threads had such bad runout there was no fixing it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:44:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By uniquesnd:
Only thing I purchased from DM were YHM adapters and a threaded tube. Got the letter and after getting a good laugh I tossed it in the garbage.
View Quote

Got the letter today; one adapter, tube and spacer material, purchased Feb 2018, and I do have an approved F1 (trust) for it...

They could search DM's records for sales, but not bother to check their own approvals?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:08:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By User55645:

I wouldn't bet my freedom on that.
If the ATF is saying that anything DM sold was a silencer, your Form1 is worth shit.
The same as if you bought a silencer or just an individual baffle from Griffin. It'd need to transfer on a Form 4 (to you).

While that may be true, the important thing to realize is that they're most definitely a precursor of more to come.

A centering dimple, where an AR15's 3rd hole would go, can be deemed a machine gun.
This would only show consistency, on the ATF's part, not something new.
View Quote

No. I just like talking crap. But centering != off center, now does it?

Anyway, FATF.

They’re the Larry Nasser of government agencies. We bend over backward to please them and all they do is illegal.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By shblackdragon:
Got the letter today; one adapter, tube and spacer material, purchased Feb 2018, and I do have an approved F1 (trust) for it...

They could search DM's records for sales, but not bother to check their own approvals?
View Quote

Again, some of you aren't getting it.
The ATF is, most likely, saying that DM was selling unlawfully made and unlawfully transferred silencers. A Form 1 does NOT cover you, in a situation like this. The items would've needed to be transferred (if DM had an SOT) to your transferring FFL, on a Form 4 (provided you're not a licensed FFL w/ proper creds).

No, tubes, adapters, spacers, etc, aren't silencer parts, but you're assuming the ATF knows exactly what everyone bought. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, and they're just hoping everyone complies and hangs themselves. However, it's possible DM's records are so shitty that there's notes saying people received (illegal) kits or (illegal) cups, when they really didn't.

Also, even if (and that is a ginormous if) your Form 1 applied, how would looking into the registry let the ATF know that that approved form went to the parts from DM? Are they to just assume you didn't make an unregistered silencer? Does that seem like something the ATF would do? ;)
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:58:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shblackdragon] [#30]

The ATF is, most likely, saying that DM was selling unlawfully made and unlawfully transferred silencers. A Form 1 does NOT cover you, in a situation like this. The items would've needed to be transferred (if DM had an SOT) to your transferring FFL, on a Form 4 (provided you're not a licensed FFL w/ proper creds).

No, tubes, adapters, spacers, etc, aren't silencer parts, but you're assuming the ATF knows exactly what everyone bought. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, and they're just hoping everyone complies and hangs themselves. However, it's possible DM's records are so shitty that there's notes saying people received (illegal) kits or (illegal) cups, when they really didn't.

Also, even if (and that is a ginormous if) your Form 1 applied, how would looking into the registry let the ATF know that that approved form went to the parts from DM? Are they to just assume you didn't make an unregistered silencer? Does that seem like something the ATF would do? ;)
View All Quotes

Naw, I get it, ATF themselves are king of shitty records and lazy procedures.  I expect no degree of service from them -- unless I was a Mexican cartel, then they'd love me long time.

Edit: In a world where "probable cause" wasn't just something you see in TV shows, "guy gets approval for silencer, followed by guy buys silencer parts" would not be something acted on.  Sadly, we (or our gov) don't live in that world.

As low as my expectations from them, and they are *low*, this is still pathetic.  (nb: not FBI low, yet, but keep trying guys, i'm sure you can make it!)

Link Posted: 1/3/2022 3:11:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#31]

View Quote
Did you get this from the ATF yourself or are you just spreading unverified FUD?

A number of people have said that they called the ATF, said they had approved Form 1s and were told don't worry about it then.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
Did you get this from the ATF yourself or are you just spreading unverified FUD?

A number of people have said that they called the ATF, said they had approved Form 1s and were told don't worry about it then.
View All Quotes

We've made it onto a more-special list at this point, I'd like more than a verbal "don't worry" from a field agent.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:00:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#33]

We've made it onto a more-special list at this point, I'd like more than a verbal "don't worry" from a field agent.
View Quote
It sounds to me like it's all just hearsay. The letter itself is the only solid evidence anyone has put forth so far.

Everything else discussed is hand wringing and he said / she said.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Wait until they do this with every braced pistol ever sold!

Link Posted: 1/3/2022 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes

Does calling me a Fud make you feel better? Honestly, what does it accomplish?
I don't need to hear anything from any ATF official. Just follow their history and how they've handled this case, thus far.
And listening to some rando field agent is even worse. The ATF's own tech branch can't agree w/ itself. Why would different field agents, that have no dealing w/ said case, have a clue as to what's going on?
Originally Posted By dmk0210:It sounds to me like it's all just hearsay. The letter itself is the only solid evidence anyone has put forth so far.

So, Chris, from DM, having his life and company savings seized as well as tons of personal items isn't proof enough how far the ATF will go to screw a citizen over?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#36]
It sounds to me like it's all just hearsay. The letter itself is the only solid evidence anyone has put forth so far.

View All Quotes

That's my point, unless someone (illegally?) records the field agent, just calling in and having a potentially non authoritative agent say "don't worry" isn't protection for the guy they said it to, nevermind anyone else.

And the ATF *hates* documenting any details, stops them from making in up in their favor as they go.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#37]

I don't need to hear anything from any ATF official. Just follow their history and how they've handled this case, thus far.
And listening to some rando field agent is even worse. The ATF's own tech branch can't agree w/ itself. Why would different field agents, that have no dealing w/ said case, have a clue as to what's going on?

So, Chris, from DM, having his life and company savings seized as well as tons of personal items isn't proof enough how far the ATF will go to screw a citizen over?
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By dmk0210:It sounds to me like it's all just hearsay. The letter itself is the only solid evidence anyone has put forth so far.

@User55645

FUD is an acronym for fear, uncertainty, and doubt. He wasn’t calling you a Fud. Gotta get with the new hip slang that the cool kids are using.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
Dude, I didn't call you a Fudd. I said unless you have some proof, you are spreading Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt by stating that an F1 isn't worth more than using for toilet paper.

Regarding DM, yeah that is obviously a travesty. But that isn't what everyone in this thread or most of the others I've read are about. It's about folks worried the ATF will come and shoot their puppies because they bought solvent traps.

Link Posted: 1/3/2022 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Shit, just noticed that they didn't even have the decency to even put our names on the damn form letters. And mine's also dated dec 8th and I got it yesterday.  They did one letter and photocopied it?  Is this fuckign amateur hour?

If not for their reputation of corruption/dishonesty, it would be funny (in a sad sort of way)
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#40]
I said unless you have some proof, you are spreading Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt by stating that an F1 isn't worth more than using for toilet paper.
View Quote

It is well established law/rule you cannot F1 an existing item. And that is what you would be doing. If you could every MFG would just ship out unmarked silencers and we would all F1 them saving time for most of us $200 to get it xferred into our state.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:41:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

It is well established law/rule you cannot F1 an existing item. And that is what you would be doing. If you could every MFG would just ship out unmarked silencers and we would all F1 them saving time for most of us $200 to get it xferred into our state.
View Quote

.... So if you notify/contact the atf to surrender anything, you are admitting guilt to a federal crime?

Basically, your best bet is to get a lawyer and hope for the best?
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 1:19:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:

.... So if you notify/contact the atf to surrender anything, you are admitting guilt to a federal crime?

View Quote

If you don't even have whatever you allegedly bought from DM years ago, what crime could they prove you committed?  

Fuck, I don't even remember what I bought from DM back in 2016 or so.  

What I do know is I've bent over backwards to abide by the ridiculously convoluted laws and rules in place.  If they raid my house, shoot my cat, and there's no contraband to be found, then I'll let my lawyer do the talking.  My multiple tax stamps don't paint the picture of me being an "unregistered" kinda guy.

As of this moment in time, I guess I don't feel the need to reach out to .gov and discuss what appears to be them changing the rules in the middle of the game.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Logcutter:

If you don't even have whatever you allegedly bought from DM years ago, what crime could they prove you committed?  

Fuck, I don't even remember what I bought from DM back in 2016 or so.  

What I do know is I've bent over backwards to abide by the ridiculously convoluted laws and rules in place.  If they raid my house, shoot my cat, and there's no contraband to be found, then I'll let my lawyer do the talking.  My multiple tax stamps don't paint the picture of me being an "unregistered" kinda guy.

As of this moment in time, I guess I don't feel the need to reach out to .gov and discuss what appears to be them changing the rules in the middle of the game.  
View Quote

I think all the people that followed the rules, sought out approval from the government to exercise their constitutional rights, paid the taxes for their rights, waited up to a year to have the right approved.... are in the same boat.

So now you are on two lists, both legal and what was changed, by the government after the fact, to illegal.

If you contact the government, they have you.

If you don't contact the government,  they still have you.... and will show up with disproportionate response to shoot your wife in the face or burn your house down...

I think the only solution is a lawyer.  

Please PM me if you know of a good one.

Link Posted: 1/4/2022 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:Dude, I didn't call you a Fudd. I said unless you have some proof, you are spreading Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt by stating that an F1 isn't worth more than using for toilet paper.
View Quote

@dmk0210
What proof are you looking for, which isn't right in front of you?
The ATF sent a goddamn letter out, stating their position.

The letter, literally, says, "ATF has received information that you have acquired, or have attempted to acquire, one or more silencer kits/silencers or silencer parts from Diversified Machine/ https://diversified.machine.us, which have been determined to be silencers, none of which are registered to you in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record..."

It's written right there in black and white.
We, the ATF, determined that what DM was selling were silencers. You bought or attempted to buy said parts. Contact us, to turn said parts over.

This happened to DM in 2020. Chris still hasn't been charged w/ commiting a crime and, yet, he's out hundreds of thousands of dollars, god knows what else, and must continue to pay legal fees.

And I'm the one spreading fear??????

Are you that obtuse?

Originally Posted By Logcutter:If you don't even have whatever you allegedly bought from DM years ago, what crime could they prove you committed?  
View Quote

So, if I sold an illegal firearm, I couldn't be prosecuted because I don't have the gun anymore? That's your logic?

If DM has records which indicate you bought an item the ATF has deemed an illegal silencer, it's on YOU to prove otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#45]
I posted this in the other thread also.
Just found this on a short internet search.Kind of interesting if, in fact, the guy he was chatting with is an actual lawyer.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Yep I got mine yesterday.

Fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:

View Quote

it is like bump stocks, if they are ruled NFA items out the door, you must destroy or surrender them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#48]
so, damned if we do damned if we don't.

is the only option to send them your F1 and hope for the best?
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Hmmm....

Have an approved Form 1 for my suppressor. I recall buying spacers from DM, however I never utilized them in my F1 build. I ended up just throwing them away as I didn't really like the quality/way they felt and bought locally at some plumbing supply I believe.  This was 2 yrs ago almost anyway.

So technically I don't currently  have nor have ever utilized these "illegal suppressor parts" in building my form 1 suppressor.... And I have no idea how to approach this other than shut up and wait.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By axeeclipse14:

So technically I don't currently  have nor have ever utilized these "illegal suppressor parts" in building my form 1 suppressor.... And I have no idea how to approach this other than shut up and wait.
View Quote

Welcome to my world.  

I have no inclination to invite the man into my life, nor possibly incriminate myself.    

I may but my cat a plate carrier though ...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top