Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/7/2024 9:45:29 PM EDT
I have a thing for obscure 80s guns. I love the weird, unknown or forgotten about relics of a time that I wasn't even around for. The tacti-cool of that era is exactly what I have been focusing my collection on as of late. I used to dig around through vintage Shooter's Bibles of the time and mark any guns I thought were interesting and unique and that I would hunt for in the future. I have a huge list ha, but I have been checking off some of my top list items.

In the top here is just a regular NOS Colt A1 upper on a plain Stag lower (will replace with a more period correct lower eventually). Nothing crazy here.

Below that is my first dream gun, a pre-ban Daewoo Max II. Not entirely obscure, but obscure enough compared to the AR above it.

Below that is my first real obscure gun, my Demro Wasp. I absolutely love the ingenious folding stock on this thing. The fact that's it's a totally legal pre-1982 open bolt semi is just way too cool. Plus, the logo on it is just awesome, with a huge wasp carved right into the metal. I believe less than 2000 Wasp variants were ever made, so they are insanely rare. Likely way less than 2000 actually, as Ian from Forgotten Weapons claimed that 3500 Fox carbines were made in all the configurations, so I assume actually the Wasp being the last of them was made in the smallest numbers.

Then under that is my latest pickup, a Dmax 100C 10mm carbine. This thing is heavy and super high quality feeling. A carbine (and a pistol version exists) designed for police forces in the 80s, it never took off. This thing just feels like it was built incredibly well, it's a tank, and those that have shot them say they are incredibly reliable. It utilizes an AK trigger group, a Sten-like bolt, and a firing pin from a 1911 I believe. Also came chambered in .45, 9mm, 41AE. The 10mm uses modified grease gun magazines, so I probably will only ever have this one magazine for it (it's a factory magazine and coated in the same textured finish that the gun's steel is, which reminds me of a truck liner, really durable and just cool on this). Very few of these were made as well, as they were made for a few years in the late 80s into the early 90s, never sold well at all, and the company died with this being their only product. I had to grab this one before Ian made a video on it, staying ahead of the curve ha.

Anyway, plenty more to add to this roster (looking at a Leader T2, Federal XC-450 or 900, probably an AR180, Halloway HAC-7, et-cetera. Will be a long while though as I have a Tommybuilt on the way). Thought I would share some weirdo guns that don't get enough recognition (the bottom two here anyway).

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#1]
80's...relics...

Listen here you whippersnapper...

That's a pretty good idea. I Iook for odd stuff that catches my eye but never thought to make a list.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Had a Leader T2 and to say that it felt like a cheaply made stamped steel last ditch type weapon would be spot on.  

Had a hybrid AR-180 style system.  Shot well but it makes an AK look "luxurious & well crafted".

Love the Daewoo Rifles and am always looking for one but haven't found one yet

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:14:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#3]
I like this weirdo 80's-vintage no-dash

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cycolac:
80's...relics...

Listen here you whippersnapper...

That's a pretty good idea. I Iook for odd stuff that catches my eye but never thought to make a list.
View Quote

Ha I mean relics in a good way! I consider 90s things relics and I was born in 91.

But yeah I have a large list that has been years in the making. I always grab shooters bibles and gun digests and whatnot from 1993 and earlier and flip through the values section and look for weirdo stuff. Sometimes those books are the only way to find out about certain guns as online info is scarce and hard to come across in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:39:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#6]
That Dmax... I didn't think there was a gun that would perfect express my odd desire for a PCC, but there it is.

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I had Volunteer Arms "Commando 45"  it was a cheap Thompson SMG knock off back in the day. I think I paid $135 for it and it used Tommy gun magazines. It was reasonably accurate and reliable. It's now long since sold and gone.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, you need one of these:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Neat guns !

One of the reasons I still go to gun shows - looking for weird or unusual stuff.

Got 2 coming up the next 2 weekends.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't forget to get a Rhino Piston-driven AR15 - It was a conversion kit you put on an AR15 in the 80s - Perhaps the first commercial project.

They actually worked well.  I had one on a 20" rifle - sold it in early 2000s to a collector who wanted it for study to build a new piston system.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Not made in the 80s but a few 80s movies used them.

I keep thinking about selling it, odd shooter but it is interesting.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By pug826:
I have a thing for obscure 80s guns. I love the weird, unknown or forgotten about relics of a time that I wasn't even around for. The tacti-cool of that era is exactly what I have been focusing my collection on as of late. I used to dig around through vintage Shooter's Bibles of the time and mark any guns I thought were interesting and unique and that I would hunt for in the future. I have a huge list ha, but I have been checking off some of my top list items.

In the top here is just a regular NOS Colt A1 upper on a plain Stag lower (will replace with a more period correct lower eventually). Nothing crazy here.

Below that is my first dream gun, a pre-ban Daewoo Max II. Not entirely obscure, but obscure enough compared to the AR above it.

Below that is my first real obscure gun, my Demro Wasp. I absolutely love the ingenious folding stock on this thing. The fact that's it's a totally legal pre-1982 open bolt semi is just way too cool. Plus, the logo on it is just awesome, with a huge wasp carved right into the metal. I believe less than 2000 Wasp variants were ever made, so they are insanely rare. Likely way less than 2000 actually, as Ian from Forgotten Weapons claimed that 3500 Fox carbines were made in all the configurations, so I assume actually the Wasp being the last of them was made in the smallest numbers.

Then under that is my latest pickup, a Dmax 100C 10mm carbine. This thing is heavy and super high quality feeling. A carbine (and a pistol version exists) designed for police forces in the 80s, it never took off. This thing just feels like it was built incredibly well, it's a tank, and those that have shot them say they are incredibly reliable. It utilizes an AK trigger group, a Sten-like bolt, and a firing pin from a 1911 I believe. Also came chambered in .45, 9mm, 41AE. The 10mm uses modified grease gun magazines, so I probably will only ever have this one magazine for it (it's a factory magazine and coated in the same textured finish that the gun's steel is, which reminds me of a truck liner, really durable and just cool on this). Very few of these were made as well, as they were made for a few years in the late 80s into the early 90s, never sold well at all, and the company died with this being their only product. I had to grab this one before Ian made a video on it, staying ahead of the curve ha.

Anyway, plenty more to add to this roster (looking at a Leader T2, Federal XC-450 or 900, probably an AR180, Halloway HAC-7, et-cetera. Will be a long while though as I have a Tommybuilt on the way). Thought I would share some weirdo guns that don't get enough recognition (the bottom two here anyway).

https://i.imgur.com/x5L2J8F.jpeg
View Quote

Whatever you do, DO NOT shoot that Demro with a missing, or dried out buffer.

They (As well as the Fox carbines) have a nasty habit of breaking the back end off the aluminum receiver

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I borrowed and had the option to buy a pair of Calico  9mm (Pistol and Carbine)...

I borrowed them for a few months and shot the heck out of them, because they were new to me and Odd...
The guy wanted like 700 for the pair and I just didn't have it, so I returned them.

Years later, I kinda wished I'd picked them up, more as collectors than shooters...
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

@pug826 I like the cut of your jib.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Villafuego:

They (As well as the Fox carbines) have a nasty habit of breaking the back end off the aluminum receiver

https://i.imgur.com/QYA3wML.jpg
View Quote

For sure! A huge fear of mine, but luckily mine came with a brand new Delrin buffer from the guy that bought out all the Fox parts
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Vellcrow:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56760/e15974_linda_f_jpg-3152967.JPG
View Quote

The gun and the poster, hell yeah!
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:
That Dmax... I didn't think there was a gun that would perfect express my odd desire for a PCC, but there it is.

View Quote

It’s truly beautiful.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By norco:
Not made in the 80s but a few 80s movies used them.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7923/46404288624_c2cef66ac3_c.jpg

I keep thinking about selling it, odd shooter but it is interesting.
View Quote

Ahh the good old High Standard! I used to have a Mossberg Bullpup. I say personally if you already have your go-to ARs and whatnot, then the practical stuff is covered and the interesting stuff is worth holding on to. Everyone and their cat has an SHTF AR, they are boring now and I think the market for weird and rare stuff is gonna boom because of it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Vellcrow:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56760/e15974_linda_f_jpg-3152967.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By smullen:
I borrowed and had the option to buy a pair of Calico  9mm (Pistol and Carbine)...

I borrowed them for a few months and shot the heck out of them, because they were new to me and Odd...
The guy wanted like 700 for the pair and I just didn't have it, so I returned them.

Years later, I kinda wished I'd picked them up, more as collectors than shooters...
View Quote

The Calicos were a blast back then. I never could hold on to one long before selling/trading for something new.

Youthful curiosity.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:16:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#23]
View Quote
@osprey21

I have always thought this ( the COP 357, I mean) would be a design worth looking into again. (by someone competent) unlike THIS DAMN THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( which would be incredible if someone HONEST, SMART AND FORTHRIGHT ever made it )

See this gun?  Say away.  Far, far away!!!!!!!!!!!!! Find a super early Pasadena or North Hollywood....but stay away from the new ones.

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I thought if the Daewoo Rifles when I read the title to the post. I remember daydreaming of having one because I couldn't afford another AR15 and I was curious how it functioned.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:13:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TN-MadDog] [#25]
Originally Posted By smullen:

View Quote

I bought one of those back in the early 2000s from a coworker that was having some issues. I tried to give home more than he was asking but he wouldn’t take it.

It came with a couple 100 round and a 50 round mag.  It was sort of cool in a way but the novelty wore off pretty quick and I didn’t keep it long.

Mine was like this one

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Did they ever make any that were full auto? Seems like a weak design. Wonder if the prototypes exploded and that was the quick fix?
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Calico is back in business.

https://calicofirearms.com/
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#30]
My entry in the title category is a Charter Arms Explorer II pistol (that shares magazines with a 1970s Armalite AR-7 rifle).
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Some awesome 80's gun in here, from back when I'd waste my days and nights looking at SOF and Shotgun News, instead of chasing after girls, none of whom were interested in me anyway!

Loved the Wasp from when I saw it, like a cross between a Thomson and a MAC.

There was a Mossberg bullpup shotgun on EE here that I should have bought, was like 500 bucks or some cheap price.

The COP is a great 80's gun too.  About worthless, but cool.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice toys!
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 1stID:
Some awesome 80's gun in here, from back when I'd waste my days and nights looking at SOF and Shotgun News, instead of chasing after girls, none of whom were interested in me anyway.
View Quote

Lol, you’ve just described my childhood in the 80’s to a tee. Glad I wasn’t the only one.😀
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:50:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By osprey21:

Oh I hear you.

https://i.postimg.cc/3NDf743P/AMP-44.png
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 1stID:
Some awesome 80's gun in here, from back when I'd waste my days and nights looking at SOF and Shotgun News, instead of chasing after girls, none of whom were interested in me anyway!

Loved the Wasp from when I saw it, like a cross between a Thomson and a MAC.

There was a Mossberg bullpup shotgun on EE here that I should have bought, was like 500 bucks or some cheap price.

The COP is a great 80's gun too.  About worthless, but cool.
View Quote

I used to have a Mossberg bullpup! It was so uncomfortable to shoot, but it functioned just fine and was super cool to bring out. The carry handle was terrible, being bolted on to the heat shield. I do regret selling it, it was such a cool piece of shotgun history.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:  @osprey21

I have always thought this ( the COP 357, I mean) would be a design worth looking into again. (by someone competent) unlike THIS DAMN THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( which would be incredible if someone HONEST, SMART AND FORTHRIGHT ever made it )

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23042/First_Presentation_C_WEB_Size-421589.jpg

See this gun?  Say away.  Far, far away!!!!!!!!!!!!! Find a super early Pasadena or North Hollywood....but stay away from the new ones.
View Quote

Those were interesting to me until the Desert Eagle came along, that worked, was a commercial success, and used normal .44 Magnum.  The only Automag still interesting to me is the 3 in .30 Carbine.  Pointless but would be fun.  The 2 has been replaced by the PMR-30.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#37]
OP needs some Valmet goodness in his '80's "oddball" (in a good way) collection.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Stahlgewehr762:
OP needs some Valmet goodness in his '80's "oddball" (in a good way) collection.
View Quote

Definitely on the list, with an FNC as well
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:24:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BM-ARM-DPMS-guns] [#39]
A “Thomas” .45

AR180 and “Thompson” .22’s

Mauser carbine imported by Navy Arms

HK VP70, this one in 9x21

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#40]

The Thomas is a straight blowback?  A predecessor to the HiPoint?  Does it at least use 1911 mags?

You able to run 9x19mm through your VP70?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:27:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BM-ARM-DPMS-guns] [#43]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

The Thomas is a straight blowback?  A predecessor to the HiPoint?  Does it at least use 1911 mags?

You able to run 9x19mm through your VP70?
View Quote

Yes, similar to most any other guns of its type. It uses proprietary mags. Similar in concept to the Detonics of the time but not 1911 related.  I haven’t tried 9x19 in the VP70, i doubt they would headspace properly.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#44]
I've got a Daewoo and a Calico. I'd love to add a FNC, Leader T2 and AR180 to my collection.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#45]
P38K, trying to make a pocket pistol from a holster gun, neat but not successful.

Wildey’s here! Bronson says so! Neat but not good guns. I only have them because of business dealings with Wil Moore (Wildey) many years ago.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#46]

What's this one?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks like a Daewoo K1.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By BM-ARM-DPMS-guns:
P38K, trying to make a pocket pistol from a holster gun, neat but not successful.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54333/IMG_0084-3157961.jpg

Wildey’s here! Bronson says so! Neat but not good guns. I only have them because of business dealings with Wil Moore (Wildey) many years ago.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54333/662EE61B-597A-4C5D-936D-EB0AFEF1954A-2057430.jpg
View Quote

That 38k is begging for a suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#49]
A “Thomas” .45

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54333/IMG_0308-2829566.jpg

AR180 and “Thompson” .22’s

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54333/E7B5E367-5A99-434B-9D99-426F5653FE8A-2700986.jpg

Mauser carbine imported by Navy Arms

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54333/4DC4C170-A3AA-4D42-854C-AB4515126FB5-2302643.jpg

HK VP70, this one in 9x21
I had multiple chances to pick up a VP70 and didn’t. I regret those decisions
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54333/2E6C983F-CF04-42AD-8D33-136114FE01A4-2299005.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#50]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54333/IMG_0084-3157961.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54333/662EE61B-597A-4C5D-936D-EB0AFEF1954A-2057430.jpg
View Quote

Wow!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top