Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2024 9:47:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3]
I looked at loads but didn't find any.
Total copper coating 50 and 55 grain 223.
I have tried 24.5 25 and 25.5 of the BLC2 and cases are blown out. It doesn't fill the case and load to 2.250 oal. Sometimes fire a round smoke comes out of the receiver and blows magazine out of AR.
Scary a little. Building flinch with it. Cases are blown at the rim.
I measured 27.5 grains to fill the case without hearing the powder shake inside. Is it better to fill the case or leave a space. I think leaving space makes it kaboom.  Just glad they haven't messed up my rifle. Would 27 grains be too much?
Thank you.

I have a lot of Nosler ballistic tip 55 grains as well.
Any help is appreciated. I also have a little Varget if that helps changing powders let me know.

EDIT, remember this is not GD, lets try to help this poster. dryflash3
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:55:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: REKing1911] [#1]
snip. Easy this is not GD, we try to help posters here. dryflash3

OP, sounds like you need more research for your load data.
Many powders are very energetic and can generate more pressure than your rifle and brass can handle, even if the casing isn't full.

If you have blown a magazine out of your rifle and had case head separation you may have already damaged the rifle to the point where it's no longer safe to shoot due to a bulged chamber or over stressed bolt.

Go to the powder manufacturers website for basic load data, in your case for BLC(2):
Hodgdon reloading data center

(Edited for readability)
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:01:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Post removed, remember this is not GD. dryflash3
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#4]
What case? How were they prepped? What primer?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:06:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you have a buddy who hand loads?  You are making some fundamental errors. A mentor might be in order.
  1) Case capacity is no indicator of proper load.
   2) You need to develop the load not take a guess at proper charge. Start low, in this case, I would start at minimum or starting load. Load three rounds and test fire on a target evaluating for accuracy and signs of pressure (blown/pierced/flattened primers, incipient case head separation, split neck).  Slowly increase charge (maybe .2-.3 grains) evaluating after each load until accuracy without over pressure is achieved.  That is your recipe.
 3) There are so many variables, we can't give you a load. What works for me will in my gun in my circumstances might not work for you.  You have to do that work yourself.  It can be frustrating and time consuming but that's how it's done.
 4) I would have the gun inspected by a competent gunsmith.  There could be damage that is not apparent.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Stop shooting that ammo now!

Blown cases are an extreme over pressure event. You are lucky you haven't been injured.

Where did you get the BL-(C)2? Was it gifted to you? Did you buy it used? From an estate sale or auction?

"Normally" BL-(C)2 allows for relatively heavy charge weights in .223. I would inspect your bore for an obstruction. You may have a bullet, or even several bullets stacked inside the bore. Your 24.5 grain starting charge was below minimum for that powder according to my Hornady manual.

If you got incomplete ignition on your starting charge, you may have stuck the first bullet in the barrel, making every follow up shot even worse. Count your blessings and buy a lottery ticket., you don't know how lucky you are to have not been seriously injured.

I would consider your upper scrap if this is what happened. Multiple over pressure events in a row makes everything inside suspect going forward.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I have shot 1000s of Remington 22 Cal 50gr PLHP bullets.  They are like any other 22 cal 50gr bullet.  They once were marketed as a bench rest bullet.  
The local LGS used to get them in bulk from Black Hills Shooters Supply, and I have seen them packaged in 100ct Remington bags too.

As suggested you need to do a proper load work up, and you can source data from Hodgdon website.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Working and terrible internet at Tinker.  They block signals all day .I am pulling bullets and separating them by weight and manufacture.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#12]
be very careful with BLC-2 it is temperature sensitive, if you develop a load in cool weather and then shoot in OK's 90 degree temps you will have over pressure problems. having lived in OK. for many years I know how hot and cold it can get there.  Good Luck and be careful!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Hodgdon lists the range of blc2 with a 50 grain soft point from 26-28 grains.

25.5 g to 27.5g for a 55 g bullet.

I suspect that you have something else going on if you’re blowing out magazines.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#14]
My powder is about 9 years old. Not stored in cool dark room. When I shake the case I hear and feel it moving. I will load a couple of rounds with over 26 grains for my next range session. I chamber check every round now pistol or rifle. I don't know why but some cases don't chamber check well at all. Using a Redding T7 and Dillon Square Deal pistol press. Solid screwed into wood presses. I am in process of pulling g bullets with my Hornady Collette bullet puller..
Really don't understand why my reloading has now gone wrong. I was on the rifle team from 1998 to 2008. Never had a problem for 10 years making match ammunition. I still have a few hundred and they shoot fine. I have my old data and they're loaded a max. No powder movement in them. Bullets I have now to reload are 55 grain copper with lead inside and just a divet for the hollow point.  50 grain the same Nosler ballistic tip 55gr. Winchester 55 grain soft point and I have some odd 60 grain bullets made from rimfire cases with lead inside the hollow point. Bought back in the 90s.
I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:05:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGH456E] [#16]
Originally Posted By 64tinc:
My powder is about 9 years old. Not stored in cool dark room. When I shake the case I hear and feel it moving. I will load a couple of rounds with over 26 grains for my next range session. I chamber check every round now pistol or rifle. I don't know why but some cases don't chamber check well at all. Using a Redding T7 and Dillon Square Deal pistol press. Solid screwed into wood presses. I am in process of pulling g bullets with my Hornady Collette bullet puller..
Really don't understand why my reloading has now gone wrong. I was on the rifle team from 1998 to 2008. Never had a problem for 10 years making match ammunition. I still have a few hundred and they shoot fine. I have my old data and they're loaded a max. No powder movement in them. Bullets I have now to reload are 55 grain copper with lead inside and just a divet for the hollow point.  50 grain the same Nosler ballistic tip 55gr. Winchester 55 grain soft point and I have some odd 60 grain bullets made from rimfire cases with lead inside the hollow point. Bought back in the 90s.
I hope this helps.
View Quote

Sir:
Please stop for now.
Is there a shooting friend who reloads that can assist you?  
No offense Sir, but there is something very wrong going on with your reloads and I can't figure it out here.

And NO, NO........... don't load and try 26.0 next.
If 24.5 and 25.5 "blew up" ............. 26.0 won't be any better.  

Please just stop.
Find someone local that can look at and offer suggestions to get your reloading back on track.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:14:51 PM EDT
[#17]
@RebleYell
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Did you check your bore to insure that there isn't an obstruction?

Run a bronze bristle brush down the bore several times to clean out any carbon buildup in the throat.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm wondering about trim length. OP did you measure the length/trim the cases. If they were long the OAL could be ok but the bullet seated deep which would raise pressure.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Going to try different powder using LC once fired brass. I have a trimmer and will check that. Wilson's chamber checker.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Fugitive:
I'm wondering about trim length. OP did you measure the length/trim the cases. If they were long the OAL could be ok but the bullet seated deep which would raise pressure.
View Quote

OP:
He wrote this............ "....I don't know why but some cases don't chamber check well at all........."
So yes, there seems to be "Things" going on with the cases....................
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 64tinc:
Going to try different powder using LC once fired brass. I have a trimmer and will check that. Wilson's chamber checker.
View Quote

Sir:  
Do you have a friend that reloads that can check your work?  
You have made mention of the "chamber checker" but you seem to be ignoring the fact that some of your cases are failing it and use those cases anyways.  
Stop.
You are having issues that need to be looked at before you even try another powder.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top