Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2024 11:12:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR]
Talking full size, old school IMI Uzi.  There isn't a huge difference between the two, but which is actually better?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:08:55 AM EDT
[#1]
The difference is trivial.

SBR or F/A...-
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:31:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Only thing I can offer is in the late 80s I had an UZI Model B. It was one of the worst jammamatics I ever owned.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:05:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I had that lust . I filled that lust.

It was very lackluster.

I sold it off
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#4]
The "B" has better sights (rear adjustable for windage), and a safety that prevents OOB fire.

The "A" has sights like the original SMG, and always seems to bring more $$
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By armoredman:
Only thing I can offer is in the late 80s I had an UZI Model B. It was one of the worst jammamatics I ever owned.
View Quote

Oh really?

I keep looking at those UZIs when they come up for sale…

Dad was issued one for a short period of time and I’d like to collect “his” guns
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

I've had a (Model A based) Vector full auto, full size Uzi since mid-2006.  In 9mm, the gun per se doesn't jam - some magazines cause jams (usually a bent lip that can be straightened).  I haven't had any jamming in .45 ACP, but I've only shot a couple hundred or so rounds using IMI mags, though I do have some .45 ACP ProMag mags.  In .22LR, once the bolt is properly shimmed and the extractor beveled, most mags work okay.

I also have a Model A based, 9mm, semi-auto Vector Mini Uzi, and that, too, works well so long as the mags are good.

In any case, OP, best of luck.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:43:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: osprey21] [#8]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:22:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb33] [#9]
Link with good info on the differences between the models, along with pics of the differences:
https://www.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/ABdiff.htm

I have an Action Arms IMI model "B" that I SBR'ed.  No regrets.

Action Arms Semiauto Uzi Carbines (Model A and Model B)

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:53:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Frens:

Oh really?

I keep looking at those UZIs when they come up for sale…

Dad was issued one for a short period of time and I’d like to collect “his” guns
View Quote
Really. It was terrible. I bought it in CA right before the Roberti Roos went into effect, and took it to Arizona when I left the military. I hung on to it way too long, but traded it for a few firearms and a whole bunch of ammo to a guy who loved UZIs and HAD to have that serial number - it was almost all 7s. I was told the 3 piece bolt made it less reliable. Not knowing that much about UZIs then or now, I cannot say. The kitchen table dealer I bought it from in Vallejo was a HUGE UZI nut, and was very proud of his select fire UZI.
Don't get me wrong, when it worked, it was fun...but that was rare.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Model B. Lots of fun, zero issues.
Ergonomics aren’t great but it’s accurate and mags are cheap.

If I had a line on a good 10” barrel, I’d likely SBR it, but my motivation for more NFA is low at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Green Mountain tri-lug barrel in my IMI AA UZI Model B SBR.  Zero issues with it.  It's a surprisingly heavy gun and ergonomics are lacking, but it's fun to shoot and has very little recoil because of the weight.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine's a model B, in 9mm and 45aarp.  I don't have any issues with it.  

On paper, the firing pin safety is more complexity and more parts to wear out.  In practice, mine hasn't broken or malfunctioned yet.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
Mine's a model B, in 9mm and 45aarp.  I don't have any issues with it.  

On paper, the firing pin safety is more complexity and more parts to wear out.  In practice, mine hasn't broken or malfunctioned yet.
View Quote

.45 aarp.....lol

AIRBORNE!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SecondAmend:

I've had a (Model A based) Vector full auto, full size Uzi since mid-2006.  In 9mm, the gun per se doesn't jam - some magazines cause jams (usually a bent lip that can be straightened).  I haven't had any jamming in .45 ACP, but I've only shot a couple hundred or so rounds using IMI mags, though I do have some .45 ACP ProMag mags.  In .22LR, once the bolt is properly shimmed and the extractor beveled, most mags work okay.

I also have a Model A based, 9mm, semi-auto Vector Mini Uzi, and that, too, works well so long as the mags are good.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote

Looking at several model As and Bs, as well as  a Vector semi-auto build, and some McKay receiver builds, and even some Norinco 320s. All in the $1400-2200 range.

If you were buying only one, which would you get.

Ultimately it will be SBR'd, and will be shooter like all my guns

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By akethan:
Why? They are heavy, no optics rail and the triggers suck.
View Quote

I have  few smg-based semi-auto SBRs...MP5s, Scorpions...Colt pattern 9mm, I want an Uzi to fill that Uzi niche.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
If your plan is to basically sit on it, get the 'A' gun.
View Quote

Sit on, but also shoot.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By _DR:

I have  few smg-based semi-auto SBRs...MP5s, Scorpions...Colt pattern 9mm, I want an Uzi to fill that Uzi niche.

View Quote

And adding an optic is trivial.  The top cover pops right off and you can pop on another top cover with a rail attached to it.
Spare top covers were like $10 not too long ago.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By jtb33:
I have a Green Mountain tri-lug barrel in my IMI AA UZI Model B SBR.  Zero issues with it.  It's a surprisingly heavy gun and ergonomics are lacking, but it's fun to shoot and has very little recoil because of the weight.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52280153532_3f12490066_k.jpg
View Quote

Did you have to get the barrel nut relieved for the 3 lug barrel?

How quiet is it with subsonic ammo?

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Really. It was terrible. I bought it in CA right before the Roberti Roos went into effect, and took it to Arizona when I left the military. I hung on to it way too long, but traded it for a few firearms and a whole bunch of ammo to a guy who loved UZIs and HAD to have that serial number - it was almost all 7s. I was told the 3 piece bolt made it less reliable. Not knowing that much about UZIs then or now, I cannot say. The kitchen table dealer I bought it from in Vallejo was a HUGE UZI nut, and was very proud of his select fire UZI.
Don't get me wrong, when it worked, it was fun...but that was rare.
View Quote

Were you using IMI military mags or aftermarket mags, if you can remember?

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
Nope - literally a drop-in barrel and all my 3-lug suppressors work fine with it (with plenty of room to spare).  However, there is a difference in UZI FA vs SA barrels; they are not compatible, so just make sure you get a semi-auto barrel.

As far as how quiet it is - depends on the suppressor I'm using, though I have no instruments to measure sound.  I have an AAC Evolution 9 (pretty old suppressor now), and a Griffin Armament Optimus v2.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

I have a threaded barrel on mine with a 3lug installed.  I bought an extra barrel nut that I installed on the barrel before I torqued down the 3lug.  When I swap barrels, that nut comes off and stays captive on that barrel.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:21:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#24]

Sell that stuff and get a F/A MAC Lage
View Quote

Actually I did have an RPB 9mm pre 1982 open bolt gun...couldn't hit shit with it as a pistol...got on the wait list for a lage...A year and a half later I gave up waiting and sold it. It was cool open bolt tech...but really hard to hit anything with.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#26]
@JDoggyHoplite
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Looking at several model As and Bs, as well as  a Vector semi-auto build, and some McKay receiver builds, and even some Norinco 320s. All in the $1400-2200 range.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

MHO, YMMV, etc.

I don't know anything about the McKay, Norinco, or Century and the like firearms.  What you may want to do is go to the Uzitalk.com website that is pretty much the go to site on the internet for all things Uzi and MAC related, with each pattern of firearm having its dedicated forum.
Best of luck with whatever you decide to pursue.
MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:05:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#28]

It wasn't an MG.
View All Quotes

Actually I did have an RPB 9mm pre 1982 open bolt gun...couldn't hit shit with it as a pistol...got on the wait list for a lage...A year and a half later I gave up waiting and sold it. It was cool open bolt tech...but really hard to hit anything with.

It wasn't an MG.

No, it was a grandfathered pre-1982 semi auto.  It was pretty cool. Wish I could have gotten a lage upper on it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:08:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#29]

I don't know anything about the McKay, Norinco, or Century and the like firearms.  What you may want to do is go to the Uzitalk.com website that is pretty much the go to site on the internet for all things Uzi and MAC related, with each pattern of firearm having its dedicated forum.
Best of luck with whatever you decide to pursue.
MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote

Well after reading a lot on Uzitalk, watching a bunch of BWE videos, and reviews, and agonizing over model A vs B I ended up buying a mint looking Model B. The extra money for an A didn't seem to be worth it in my view, would have depleted my cash reserves. Still need a tax stamp then a 10" barrel.

I am already cringing at the thought of having it engraved for NFA.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Form a trust "Uzi, Israel Trust".
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Were you using IMI military mags or aftermarket mags, if you can remember?
View Quote
Factory. Everything was OEM.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#32]
One of my favorite SBRs. Never had an issue with it and it's a joy to shoot.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:17:48 AM EDT
[#33]
It's a fun SMG that is instantly recognizable, has military provenance, is very reliable and built tough, has lots of inexpensive accessories, magazines, and spare parts available, and hold their value very well.
My transferable Model A IMI is lightly modded for limited class subgun matches.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#34]
I never really liked my full size Uzi for shooting or handling, but it was cool to look at - same as a Thompson.

I traded mine and some bucks for a Mini Uzi, which is the Uzi the Uzi should have been.  

Much lighter and handier than the full size.  With a SBR form, it's a great shooter.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:02:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Makarov] [#35]
An IMI model A is the most authentic semi-auto UZI you can find. I own an A and a B. The OOB safety feature on the B is unnecessary and doesn’t add anything to reliability (just another part to break).

I SBR’d the A and I really enjoy shooting it. I wrap my trigger finger around the trigger at the second joint for easy double taps.

I also own a full-auto Group/Vector UZI SMG. I own 10 other registered MGs and my MP5 and UZI rank #1 and #2 in fun to shoot. I never could get the .22LR conversion to run right in mine.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Makarov:
I also own a full-auto Group/Vector UZI SMG. ... I never could get the .22LR conversion to run right in mine.
View Quote

Getting a full size, full auto Uzi to function with a .22 conversion can be summarized into three steps.  Shim the extractor/firing pin block assembly for proper vertical clearance between the mag lips and barrel stub; bevel the top edge of the front of the extractor for clearance into the barrel stub; and make sure the magazine is loaded so as to avoid rim lock.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Best of luck.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Getting a full size, full auto Uzi to function with a .22 conversion can be summarized into three steps.  Shim the extractor/firing pin block assembly for proper vertical clearance between the mag lips and barrel stub; bevel the top edge of the front of the extractor for clearance into the barrel stub; and make sure the magazine is loaded so as to avoid rim lock.
View All Quotes
I also own a full-auto Group/Vector UZI SMG. ... I never could get the .22LR conversion to run right in mine.

Thanks. When I have time, I want to dig out the kit and mess with it again. I screen captured your summary to give me a place to start.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Thanks. When I have time, I want to dig out the kit and mess with it again. I screen captured your summary to give me a place to start.
View All Quotes

You're welcome.  The late Richard Hoffman (BWE) video and the posts on Uzitalk about "Tuning an Uzi .22" go into more details.  I should have also noted, that when I bought my Vector .22 conversion in 2007, which was right before they discontinued selling them, the chamber was undersized and feeding was an issue.  I had a .22LR finish reamer from another task, and used that to get the Uzi conversion up to size.  I've always assumed that the chamber was undersized due to worn out tooling.
Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By jtb33:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52280153532_3f12490066_k.jpg
View Quote

There’s a whole lot of WTF and oh hell yeah in one photo.

My experience is aim to CavVets. Lust. Bought.

Now I’m debating on the next step. Don’t really want at this point. Only keeping for investment reason.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 12:16:31 AM EDT
[#40]
An IMI model A is the most authentic semi-auto UZI you can find. I own an A and a B. The OOB safety feature on the B is unnecessary and doesn’t add anything to reliability (just another part to break).
View Quote

So, a question. Can I swap in a Model A bolt into my model B if I want to, will it work?
Top Top