Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2024 9:24:03 PM EDT
New to the game, and have a DA Wolfman..  I don't have much in the way of threaded barrels, but gotta start somewhere.  Looking to get started in a mounting system that I can hopefully use for everything.  I will mostly use the WM on a banshee 9mm, and a 300AAC pistol.  I'm starting to realize the WM is an oddball, and a pain trying to find something that fits it (and in stock).  The xeno/zero seems like the easy choice, but not sure if it's the wise choice.  

seems like everyone is on the plan A bus these days.

So from your experience and mistakes, which direction would you go?  Thx!
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Could be wrong, but I think the Wolfman uses its own unique thread pitch for mounting systems. Meaning it’s not the typical HUB/1.375-24 that is pretty standard. Definitely limits choices I imagine.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#2]
SIG / Q Tapered Direct Thread.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Very happy with Plan A. I’d have no problem with Plan B, either. FYI Ecco machine makes a nice Plan A adapter for the Wolfman, which I have on mine.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:52:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been Plan A for almost my whole time in cans, I did have a 51t that Ecco eventually converted for me.  There are just so many thread options from Griffin.  I have a couple guns with Plan Bs, and they work awesome too.  I'd standardize on Plan A immediately if I was doing it all over.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:11:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#5]
Originally Posted By Skunkape71:
I will mostly use the WM on a banshee 9mm, and a 300AAC pistol.  I'm starting to realize the WM is an oddball, and a pain trying to find something that fits it (and in stock).  The xeno/zero seems like the easy choice, but not sure if it's the wise choice.  

seems like everyone is on the plan A bus these days.

View Quote
Do you ever plan on getting an MP5 which typically have 3 lug barrels?
If so, I would consider 3 lug....but me personally, I only like the old school 'Bixler' 3 lug which mount up rock solid with no wobble unlike the typical push/turn 3 lug mount.
Fortunately for you Shaw Armament actually has them in stock right now on their site for the oddball DA thread pattern of: 1.203-28
https://www.shawarms.com/products/thundercan-41182-11646-5176
The suppressor side is made from Titanium while the nut is stainless steel.

The nut is about 1.128" in Diameter so it will also fit just about any handguard in existence for the CMMG RDB.
Barrel below has a 3 lug inside the rail which BTW is my .40SW CMMG RDB that I run in full auto.

Bixler mount below

Setup below is 300BLK which I know isn't typical to use 3 lug for that but I'm doing it here.  The Bixler mount can handle even full auto .308 while you can't do that with the typical push/turn 3 lug mounts as you will kill the temper of the springs and melt the o-rings.  Neither of which exist in the Bixler design.

My previous CMMG 9mm RDB setup which I also use with the Bixler mount.  3 lug is recessed in this small ID MI Combat rail that no push/turn 3 lug mount can fit inside of but is fine with the Bixler nut.

Another example using the CMMG 9mm RDB Dissent that finally uses a fixed ejector that I modified for use of the buffer tube for tuning and full auto.
https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=1733

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:24:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
Could be wrong, but I think the Wolfman uses its own unique thread pitch for mounting systems. Meaning it's not the typical HUB/1.375-24 that is pretty standard. Definitely limits choices I imagine.
View Quote
You aren't that limited with Wolfman. There are options.

Ecco Machine makes a Plan A adapter for the Wolfman. DA has a Xeno adapter.  JMac has their X20 mount that fits the Wolfman.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:31:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#7]
View Quote
I used be a huge fan of DA Xeno. I liked the aesthetics, reverse thread and price. But Xeno only supports the 1/2x28 and 5/8x24 thread patterns, plus you have very limited choices in muzzle devices.

I switched to Griffin Plan A due to the combination of a wider range of barrel thread patterns supported and a much larger muzzle device selection available.

I still use DA Xeno Xero with my 9mm PCCs. I switched to Xero from 3-lug because Xeno is simpler, lighter, shorter and cheaper. However, if I were to start over again, I'd use Plan A for that too. I may eventually switch but I just bought the Xeno Xero stuff last year.

I don't see Plan B having any advantage over Xeno. Xeno is just Plan B with a reverse thread. YHM SRX also seems very limited in muzzle device selection and thread patterns supported.

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:*SNIP*
Xeno is just Plan B with a reverse thread. *SNIP*
View Quote
Notably longer, too. I get why that did it that way, and it isn’t a dealbreaker amount of length, but it is there.

I did start over from the beginning, and ended up with Plan A (and L, XL) on all my Hub cans that aren’t destined for A2s. It’s versatile, reasonably priced, secure, comes off easily enough when you take it off on purpose, simple, lightweight, and as short or long as you desire.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#9]
New to the game, and have a DA Wolfman..  

I will mostly use the WM on a banshee 9mm, and a 300AAC pistol.

View Quote

I have the DA Wolfman for 9mm and 300BLK ARs.

I started using it on my 9mm/direct thread.  I preferred direct thread but after finishing the 300, which has a different thread pattern, I went Xeno.  No big deal once i got what I needed! It all seems to be in stock now and there are used options on different sites.  I went with Wee Brake on 9mm and the Xeno Brake on the 300.  

I don't get too exited about this and that mounts but have no regrets with going Xeno, I like it and it is working out well for me.  I thought about getting a thread adapter and staying with direct thread but the backordered adapter came in so I just dropped that plan.  

I understand there are brakes and flash hiders from other manufacturers but I found what I needed with DA Xeno.

Look forward to seeing what you do.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd pick plan a, again
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Plan A was my do-over. Started with the YHM stuff. If I started again today, I'd look closer at Plan B, but probably end up with Plan A. I think it covers the most bases in terms of muzzle device styles, supported thread patterns, different length adapters, etc.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
Notably longer, too. I get why that did it that way, and it isn't a dealbreaker amount of length, but it is there.
View Quote
Good point, and as it's alluded to, the added length is a tradeoff to add the ability to use a wrench on the rear of muzzle device.  

That's a personal preference that was discussed in the other recent mount thread.  Cherry Bomb fans like the tool feature in the front and mitigate the muzzle device coming off with the suppressor other ways.

All these taper mounts work. It's just a matter of the fine details and what's most important to the buyer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Machine_gunner22:
What diameter is the Wolfman can? I would like to look into making a plan b adapter for those if the options are that limited.
View Quote

Some info in this post might be useful:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Dead-air-wolfman-key-micro-threading/20-511677/
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Skunkape71:]
View Quote

For rifle cans, I'd standardize everything on A2/Gate-Lok mounts wherever possible.

For pistol and rimfire, I'd adopt EZ-Lok a lot sooner.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:23:00 AM EDT
[#16]
What diameter is the Wolfman can? I would like to look into making a plan b adapter for those if the options are that limited.
View Quote

1.203x28
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
Good point, and as it's alluded to, the added length is a tradeoff to add the ability to use a wrench on the rear of muzzle device.  

That's a personal preference that was discussed in the other recent mount thread.  Cherry Bomb fans like the tool feature in the front and mitigate the muzzle device coming off with the suppressor other ways.

All these taper mounts work. It's just a matter of the fine details and what's most important to the buyer.
View Quote
Agreed, but what I was getting at wasn’t the tool flats on the muzzle device. While those do add length, its the combination of that and the way tool features are added to the adapter that makes me say that it’s long in comparison to other taper adapters. But, I get why they did it that way. Pappas’ experience as an auto mechanic may have been a factor, but the big ones are that it is less tools they need to provide/sell to customers compared to spanner based systems, and it compensates for the fact that some manufacturers seem to be shortening blast chambers to advertise shorter silencers and/or to negate the advantages of competing mounts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By amphibian:
Do you ever plan on getting an MP5 which typically have 3 lug barrels?
If so, I would consider 3 lug....but me personally, I only like the old school 'Bixler' 3 lug which mount up rock solid with no wobble unlike the typical push/turn 3 lug mount.
Fortunately for you Shaw Armament actually has them in stock right now on their site for the oddball DA thread pattern of: 1.203-28
https://www.shawarms.com/products/thundercan-41182-11646-5176
The suppressor side is made from Titanium while the nut is stainless steel.
https://cdn.filestackcontent.com/AUcm0ze0SHM76x9FhaHgpz/resize=width:450,height:300/cache=expiry:max/https://cdn.filestackcontent.com/BdmhdvNPToSZUlBCMHt6

The nut is about 1.128" in Diameter so it will also fit just about any handguard in existence for the CMMG RDB.
Barrel below has a 3 lug inside the rail which BTW is my .40SW CMMG RDB that I run in full auto.
https://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/40SW-3lug-AlphaRail2.png
Bixler mount below
https://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/40SW-Bixler-CT-AlphaRail.png

Setup below is 300BLK which I know isn't typical to use 3 lug for that but I'm doing it here.  The Bixler mount can handle even full auto .308 while you can't do that with the typical push/turn 3 lug mounts as you will kill the temper of the springs and melt the o-rings.  Neither of which exist in the Bixler design.
https://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/NEA-MGI-AR-300BLK-3Lug-CT9KS-1024x356.png

My previous CMMG 9mm RDB setup which I also use with the Bixler mount.  3 lug is recessed in this small ID MI Combat rail that no push/turn 3 lug mount can fit inside of but is fine with the Bixler nut.
https://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/300BLK-A5-RB5005-40SWBolt-NoCan-1024x525.jpg

Another example using the CMMG 9mm RDB Dissent that finally uses a fixed ejector that I modified for use of the buffer tube for tuning and full auto.
https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=1733

https://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/Dissent-Bixler1-1024x311.jpg

https://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/Dissent-Bixler2-1024x332.jpg

View Quote

Thanks for letting it be known that they are making these with Dead Air's proprietary thread. I'm a big fan of the Bixler mount too. Just ordered one to try out with Mojave.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:58:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#19]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
Agreed, but what I was getting at wasn't the tool flats on the muzzle device. While those do add length, its the combination of that and the way tool features are added to the adapter that makes me say that it's long in comparison to other taper adapters. But, I get why they did it that way. Pappas' experience as an auto mechanic may have been a factor...
View Quote
Mike Pappas has mention a few times in interviews that he likes when he can use standard wrenches and sockets that people already have in their toolbox. I agree with him. But I don't make overall length as high of a priority. Not to that level of detail anyway.

This is why we have so many mounting options. We all have different priorities. That is also why I really don't like when suppressor manufacturers corner us in to their own idea of the best mounting system. Maybe it's best to them. Or a particular agency. Or some vocal people on Reddit. Not necessarily for me. Rugged for example. I'll never buy one of their rifle cans except for maybe that one Hub can they have.

I'd much rather all cans came with Hub threads and no mount at all.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I kinda lucked into it a few years ago, but griffin taper mounts are awesome and I would choose again.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:29:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Underaid702] [#21]
i hear a lot of people like SF.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I enjoy my xeno stuff. It stays tight and works well for me. I'd probably stick with it given the opportunity again. I like easily swapping stuff around and seeing the differences. It's not terribly expensive or heavy either.

Length isn't really a priority for me, although I understand why it is for others. I like the generous wrench flats on the mount. Makes installation a breeze. I prefer this over spanner style stuff. I had an LMT xeno mount that was a touch shorter, but someone at KG made decided they needed it more than me when I sent them my Sierra 5. I haven't been able to track down another.

I haven't needed a "weird" thread pitch xeno MD yet, but I'm surprised to see there's no metric stuff/other pitches out yet. I thought for sure jmac would have this covered, but I'm not seeing anything. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I know FCD makes stuff but I'm sure it's only in 1/2 and 5/8.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Underaid702: i hear a lot of people like SF.
View Quote

Seems absurd to me to suggest Surefire… $150 muzzle device and $400+ for a custom adapter and no factory support. I have 2 Surefires and I’d have them converted to something else before switching other cans to Surefire’s mounting system.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

Seems absurd to me to suggest Surefire  $150 muzzle device and $400+ for a custom adapter and no factory support. I have 2 Surefires and I'd have them converted to something else before switching other cans to Surefire's mounting system.
View Quote
A lot of people get all kinds of endorphins over using what .mil uses.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Xeno made the most sense to me at first and I'm not unhappy with it at all. I do think that it's a little longer than it needs to be and do wish that there were more muzzle device options available.

I'm thinking about switching over to Rearden now. Shorter, more muzzle device options, and looks cleaner IMO. I definitely want to try their Blyat mount.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
A lot of people get all kinds of endorphins over using what .mil uses.
View Quote

This must be why I find A2 flash hiders irresistible.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:56:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#27]
I went from xeno to plan a. Happy with my choice
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:
I went from xeno to plan a. Happy with my choice
View Quote

What muzzle devices are you using?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#29]
1x Closed tine on the 12.5 (not always suppressed)
1x ez brake on 11.5 (always suppressed)
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Pomyluy:

For rifle cans, I'd standardize everything on A2/Gate-Lok mounts wherever possible.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pomyluy:
Originally Posted By Skunkape71:]

This is my plan when I get the ball rolling on a rifle suppressor. I don’t think it makes fiscal sense to buy all new muzzle devices rather than just buy a suppressor that can fit existing ones.

I mean, once I hit that fat lottery jackpot maybe, but for now, that’s my plan.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By macman37:

This is my plan when I get the ball rolling on a rifle suppressor. I don’t think it makes fiscal sense to buy all new muzzle devices rather than just buy a suppressor that can fit existing ones.
View Quote

And even if all your existing A2s were out of spec, Wilsons are ten bucks apiece and fit great.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:29:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#32]
We do make 6315XE (2.157"), 6315XE-S (short, 1.9") flash suppressors, and 1215XE (brake, 2.16") for Xeno

6315XE-S below:
Attachment Attached File

Originally Posted By Redshift556:
Xeno made the most sense to me at first and I'm not unhappy with it at all. I do think that it's a little longer than it needs to be and do wish that there were more muzzle device options available.

I'm thinking about switching over to Rearden now. Shorter, more muzzle device options, and looks cleaner IMO. I definitely want to try their Blyat mount.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I have the Wolfman and recently went through this.  It's on a pistol that has 9mm, 300 blk and 5.56 uppers.  Ended up going Plan B.  Simple, inexpensive mounts and muzzle devices from Rearden.  If you plan on shooting any supers through the 300 blk, make sure your muzzle device is a brake and that your mounting solution offers that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:
1x Closed tine on the 12.5 (not always suppressed)
1x ez brake on 11.5 (always suppressed)
View Quote

Griffin or did you find a different brand?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Plan B/Rearden and wouldnt look back. They also make a Wolfman  mount so its as easy as it gets.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Plan A, without a doubt
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I am content.  I do have a Mask, so there is a little variety.

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I like taper mounts.   They are stone cold simple and reliable.    I have taper mount cans from Griffin Armament and Suppressed Armament Systems.    Both use a similar system, but they are different enough not to be compatible.

Going forward, any can I buy will be HUB compatible and get a Griffin Armament Plan A installed.    Griffin's EZ Brake is rock solid and does not need to be timed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:18:44 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

FYI: Rearden makes a Wolfman Atlas:
https://www.reardenmfg.com/product/wolfman-atlas/
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#41]
ECCO Adapter for Wolfman

Griffin EZ Brake

OP here..  This is what I ended up going with.  Of course the WM is an odd duck, but think I'll be happy with the Griffin taper mount stuff going forward.

Appreciate all the feedback guys!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Standard muzzle threads *mic drop*
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top