Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2024 12:59:31 PM EDT
I just learned of the existence of these Chinese duals with NNVT-4 (1400-1600 FOM) tubes.

Are these tubes allowed under ITAR to be taken out of the country legally? I was thinking international travel might be a good application for these.

Link Posted: 1/26/2024 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Since its not "United States" originated technology (I'm sure they used our stuff to make theirs at some point) I would think...no?  

Interested to see what others have to say.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 4:05:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chosos] [#2]
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sheepdog697:
Since its not "United States" originated technology (I'm sure they used our stuff to make theirs at some point) I would think...no?
View Quote

Incorrect. Once it's here, it's covered by ITAR. Whether it's actually ITAR controlled is a different story.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 4:53:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#5]

OP if outside the US (and not intending to come into the US and leave again) why would you buy those tubes, just buy decent Harder or Photonis tubes - they are way better than those PRC Ekran grade tubes.  

The better Photonis tubes 4G+ have the best autogating across all manufacturers, best shock rating, best IA, best halo, best "highlight" lp/mm, generally best EBI <<< 1 and best spectral range.  Some will gripe about gain but its typically 50k.

Alternatively, give an OPSIN a go - no issues with travel at all.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 5:18:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Deltastone] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sheepdog697:

Interested to see what others have to say.
View Quote

ITAR for NVG is, to use an simple analogy, a Guilty Until Proven Innocent affair as fair as classification. It's basically best to consider it ITAR unless you know for a fact it has a lesser export control. There are some Gen 2 that would not be covered under ITAR, but you have to prove with the spec sheets they are bad enough to not be covered under ITAR as part of your export process, otherwise it's basically going to just be considered ITAR controlled.

But even then, it's still going to be export controlled just in a different, more lenient way. Still requires some understanding of the paperwork.

In short, it's real easy for anything to come in and real hard for it to go back out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top