Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2021 1:13:36 AM EDT
Im currently looking at a holosun ir laser only. I really like that it takes a AA battery. I can mount a light to the helmet if i need one. But for some reason i dont find a laser and light all in one without extra crap like a visible laser or a visible light. Im looking for IR only and it seems odd that doesnt seem to exist. At least that i can find.

Dont want to spend a lot and the price of 269 for the holosun is very attractive vs anything else.

Kinda thinking about buying the holosun till what i want exists, that would at least give me something to aim with till it does.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 1:19:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 5:41:40 AM EDT
[#2]
There's the Steiner DBAL-I2 PN 9007. Usually find it from 600 used to around 700 new. Not the greatest IR illuminator, but it fits the description of what your asking for.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 6:16:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Tags
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want a unified pointer and illuminator, you could pick up an OTAL-C and an Arisaka 300-series with an EX-IR head. Link them both with a TAPS Sync switch.

But by they time you've put all that together, you've probably spent the same or more than a DBAL-I2 9007. Although the EX-IR is a better illuminator than the 9007, plus you can space out the purchases if money is an issue.

Link Posted: 10/29/2021 7:26:07 AM EDT
[#5]
OST
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Zenitco 2iks+
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#7]
For the life of me I can't figure out why there aren't more products in this space. It seems like it would be a no brainer and sell like hotcakes. The price would be a bit lower, because you're just getting what you want and not other crap. I'd buy two right now. I have an i2, but the illuminator is definitely lacking. I'd much rather run a normal white light than a vampire head with it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Tlr vir ii is about the best you can do for your price.  Great IR illumination, ir laser, and bonus white light.  Can be had for $300.  Actually beats the I2 9007 which costs over twice the price.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I was looking for a rifle system. I really do like that for a pistol but having a rifle set up is first priority. Kinda has a stealth fighter look to it. It is badass in the esthetics department.

I have spent more than my total disposable income on guns for the year. Mostly guns anyway. I dipped into savings for pvs14 cause i just had to have it.  I think i will just get the holosun so i have something and revisit a new weapon sight next year.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#11]
ya that is the one. Its fairly cheap and will do for now
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:09:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HYDRASHOKMONTANA:
I was looking for a rifle system. I really do like that for a pistol but having a rifle set up is first priority. Kinda has a stealth fighter look to it. It is badass in the esthetics department.

I have spent more than my total disposable income on guns for the year. Mostly guns anyway. I dipped into savings for pvs14 cause i just had to have it.  I think i will just get the holosun so i have something and revisit a new weapon sight next year.
View Quote

Just wanted to put this out there, but you do know the TLR vir2 does work on rifles as well?  There is nothing that prevents a person from putting it on a rifle, in fact many do.

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Ya i know you can but at the cheap end of the scale the holosun takes the same batteries as the night vision. Kinda like that. While i was originally thinking about spending more i kinda talked myself out of it. Been letting my spending habits get out of control this year. Probably in the area of 12k just in guns and night vision since january. Got holidays coming up and i should think about that instead of spending a ton on something that doesnt check the right boxes for me. I'll shore up the night capabilities next year. Hopefully they have what im looking for then.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#15]
So confused about which stuff gets pinned here.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By HYDRASHOKMONTANA:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

VIR2. You can get them all day for under $300. And mount them on a rifle.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Again, here's the russian cheap solution, the 2IKS+ Gen 3, $355 IR laser, IR illuminator, switch, and even a lightbar to get the illuminator further forward of a suppressor.
Biggest drawback is non-focusable illuminator, so it is really meant for 100yards and in.  But for the price, I think unbeatable.

https://ivantactical.com/shop/weapon-accessories/flashlights-and-accessories/flashlights/zenitco-2ikslaser-klesh-tactical-ir-illuminator-with-ir-laser/
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Hmmmm.  I seem to recall reading something similar the other day.  I think you've made a solid choice here.  The LS117IR will get you into the game, for now.  You will probably want to upgrade that later, but still it's a good 1st choice, and then can go on your secondary rifle when/if you upgrade.

I have two of these on order for use with Vampire lights.  With a TAPS switch you have pointer and illum on one push.  Or the new Modlite dual lead will do essentially the same thing in a smaller footprint.  This will definitely get you into the ball game.  I see the Streamlight and the Steiner as being good choices as well but prefer the tape switch.  So for me, the 117 makes the most sense.

There are "reasonably-priced" options for what you asked for, but I think in this case you'd be better off just buying them separately.

Also consider a 1/2" riser under your RDS and experiment with some "passive" IR.  Yankee Hill has a nice 1/2" x 14-slot, off-set riser, that will fit both RDS, and 3x mag, if you're using that.  If you can pull this off, the the RDS can be used for any light aiming, with the aid of IR or WL as required.  Since you're like most of us and already blown your tac budget for the year, you might come out ahead, by not sinking a lot of money into IR pointer/illum.    

Link Posted: 11/2/2021 1:38:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HYDRASHOKMONTANA] [#19]
So i ordered the   LS117IR from midway a few minutes ago.  The reason is this is going on an RDB with a primary arms cqb prism scope. My eyes dont do red dots(astigmatism) so i dont own any. Also my semi auto guns are all open sight original configurations. No picatinny rails on any of them really. Only exception is a couple CETME L rifles and the sights wont work with the holosun without an offset mount of some kind. Although i think the black cetme would make an excellent night rifle. Hope they will release some wedges for suppressor use someday.

The RDB is my go to suppressed semi auto. Wonderfully hearing safe. Only thing better is a bolt gun. It has no front sight to interfere with the laser and it should just clear my sight picture. I spent some time measuring tonight and it looks like it will be good.

Iv always hated the tacticool crap out there so most guns i own have no rails. Always preferred battle sights. Just click the dial or slide the rear sight for the range you want.  Bolt guns get scopes.

One thing that bothers me is this type of sight should have a way to swap the base around to provide an offset if you would like. It gives the end user more options with minimal design changes and likely no increase in cost per unit. I also wish there was more info out there on these kind of things. Damn few youtube videos.

As for why this got pinned i have no idea. Maybe many others are in same search after their first night vision. Maybe its cause i commented on the esthetic characteristics or the Steiner/TNVC TOR-MINI IR. It is about the best looking pistol ir/laser/flashlight design iv seen. Something that is really lacking in all these IR laser modules iv been looking at. Hell most look like a pack of cigarettes mounted to a gun. Might be fun to get one custom painted to look like a pack of Lucky Strikes.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn dude you're as old school as me.  The Lucky Strikes was pretty funny although most of these kids have no fucking clue what you're talking about.  That was their grand-dads.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#21]
would be be surprised to learn im 38?
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SnazSleepWalker:
Again, here's the russian cheap solution, the 2IKS+ Gen 3, $355 IR laser, IR illuminator, switch, and even a lightbar to get the illuminator further forward of a suppressor.
Biggest drawback is non-focusable illuminator, so it is really meant for 100yards and in.  But for the price, I think unbeatable.

https://ivantactical.com/shop/weapon-accessories/flashlights-and-accessories/flashlights/zenitco-2ikslaser-klesh-tactical-ir-illuminator-with-ir-laser/
View Quote

5.82 oz? That's pretty damn light for what you get. I wonder if that page is right.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

5.82 oz? That's pretty damn light for what you get. I wonder if that page is right.
View Quote

Without weighing mine that seems right.  Add in the switch and polymer lightbar and you're probably up to 7.5ish oz

I've been very content with mine and am quite rough on it. Again, my only gripe is that it's a non focusable illuminator, but for the price it's dummy good.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Without weighing mine that seems right.  Add in the switch and polymer lightbar and you're probably up to 7.5ish oz

I've been very content with mine and am quite rough on it. Again, my only gripe is that it's a non focusable illuminator, but for the price it's dummy good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Seems like for the price and light weight, for a hundred yards like your say, it would be a fantastic choice for a 9mm PCC.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#25]
The klesh 2iks is a beast.  Laser is FP, Illuminator is stronger than my surefire x400v.  Only downside is the form factor and illum has a lot of spill.   You can def reach out to 200 yards with the light using my unfilmed tube.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Seems like for the price and light weight, for a hundred yards like your say, it would be a fantastic choice for a 9mm PCC.
View Quote

Yes, I think it's perfect for that application.  I run mine on a shorty AR with a suppressor.  Lots of hikes and shooting and being tossed about and it has stayed true.
And again, for the price, you just can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I picked up a new Steiner DBAL 9003 with visible green laser and IR laser.  I bought a used Surefire KM2 convertible cap for my Scout for $80 here on Arfcom.  I love how it all fits on my SLR rail and I love it with just the limited time I've had it outside.  Laser is nice and bright and the IR light works great.  Very happy with it!!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:40:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chosos] [#28]
Any reason you didnt go with a cqbl instead?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 1:13:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By chosos:
Any reason you didnt go with a cqbl instead?
View Quote

No reason really other than I like the dbal!
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I got my cousin a surefire Xc2 IRC for Christmas to mount on his AR to go with the NODs he got last year, but the mount is shit for interfacing with picatinny rails. He ended up putting it on his G19.

Looked like a cool concept for a compact IR unit, though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#31]
The Kelsh seems to be the best bang for your buck.

Any video reviews of this light? All the ones I have seen are the zentco Russian videos.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:40:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ShoulderThingGoesUp] [#32]
Klesh 2 IKS vs Surefire X400v for your viewing pleasure.

Klesh 2 IKS (first) vs Surefire x400v (second)
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ShoulderThingGoesUp:
The klesh 2iks is a beast.  Laser is FP, Illuminator is stronger than my surefire x400v.  Only downside is the form factor and illum has a lot of spill.   You can def reach out to 200 yards with the light using my unfilmed tube.
View Quote

I saw a youtube video where a guy 3D printed a little shroud for his TLR-2 VIR to cut down on spill - didn't focus the light downrange, but it did stop it from washing out everything in his immediate area. Something like that might work for the Klesch as well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By CZRider:

I saw a youtube video where a guy 3D printed a little shroud for his TLR-2 VIR to cut down on spill - didn't focus the light downrange, but it did stop it from washing out everything in his immediate area. Something like that might work for the Klesch as well.
View Quote

Funnily enough I have been printing a few hood prototypes the past few days to test this out lol.  got held up cause I needed some new bowden tubes to get delivered.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:18:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ShoulderThingGoesUp] [#35]
So the hood works great at significantly cutting down on spill.  It doesnt turn it into a laser LAM, but it seems to make a decent difference in gating the tubes down from spill onto the ground.  I took a few shots with it on a white light just to show the difference (look at the ceiling) .  Gonna do a bit of testing this weekend with 2 different designs and hopefully get a video under nods.  Ill post the .STL when I get it all done.  

It friction fits on, and then you twist it and the lower supports basically wedge into the shield around the laser module.  Its pretty secure for what it is.  

Without Hood

With Hood
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#36]
So the hood works great at significantly cutting down on spill.  It doesnt turn it into a laser LAM, but it seems to make a decent difference in gating the tubes down from spill onto the ground.  I took a few shots with it on a white light just to show the difference (look at the ceiling) .  Gonna do a bit of testing this weekend with 2 different designs and hopefully get a video under nods.  Ill post the .STL when I get it all done.  

It friction fits on, and then you twist it and the lower supports basically wedge into the shield around the laser module.  Its pretty secure for what it is.  

https://i.imgur.com/jPcE9WL.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/98BoL0n.jpg

Without Hood
https://i.imgur.com/ZEL4bp4.jpg

With Hood
https://i.imgur.com/kQojmtb.jpg
View Quote

Nice, man. Please keep us updated.

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:03:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tyrannosaur] [#37]
I got a Steiner CQBL. Plugged a Modlite laser plug in. Went to unplug it the whole plug and plug module came out. Steiner now says 8 to 10 week wait and maybe $95 to fix it. I just bought it. So now I'm waiting for a Holosun Le117 or Le221. I like the idea of titanium. Once I get the Steiner back I'm selling it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#38]
If you have a Perst-4 get one of my caps and you get a laser and illuminator all in one

Here
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#39]
nice work hallway!
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#40]
We have one called Dragonfly its 500mw and designed just for sights (rifle) expect to see a fox sized target at 400yds with digital or 800yds with tubes, we designed it to be ferocious 850nm.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Maybe it’s the tired…but who is “we” and link please?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 4:42:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARK_Ginger] [#42]

https://i.imgur.com/jPcE9WL.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/98BoL0n.jpg

Without Hood
https://i.imgur.com/ZEL4bp4.jpg

With Hood
https://i.imgur.com/kQojmtb.jpg
View Quote

Any progress on this? I'd love to get one put on mine @ShoulderThingGoesUp
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:49:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ShoulderThingGoesUp] [#43]
Yeah it is done.  It is a pretty nice improvement in spill containment.  You can download the STL here.  

Thingiverse link
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#44]
A good intro ir illuminator/laser that also has white light is the Streamlight VIR II. Can be found for less than $300. Not the best for long range but then again neither is the Steiner 9007.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#45]
The soon-to-be-released Holosun P.ID
Green laser, IR laser, (not sure if... IR illuminator), and white light.
It looks like it's basically a cheaper DBAL-PL, I guess, and probably fine for shorter ranges on a carbine.

Can't figure out from their description if there's IR illum. The wholesaler's description seems to say so, but manufacturer doesn't say

Distributor: "Holosun Technologies, Holosun P.ID, Weapon Light Laser Combo, 1000 Lumen IR Illuminator, Green Laser, Fits Picatinny or Pistol, Anodized Finish, Black"

Manufacturer:
"P.ID Dual is a high-power white light with visible green laser and an infrared laser. P.ID Dual includes Plus Mode and adds IR Mode (IR function only) and Dual Mode which enables the user to fire white light and VIS green laser, or IR laser using different activation buttons providing active aiming on multiple spectrums should the need arise.
Shipping Q4, 2022 – MSRP: $282.35"

Link Posted: 11/15/2022 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Custom night vision has the 9007 on sale for 799
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top