Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2024 3:05:12 PM EDT
Rather than doing a separate 5320.20 for every 3 NFA items, is OK to do a single form with say 2 items with a note on the thrisd line that there is an attachment page with XXX items
and then attach a spreadsheet page with any additional items?

Or, is a separate 5320.20 required for every 3 items?

Anybody successfully used the attachment approach?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#1]
People used to do that, or even make themselves an edited version of the form with more rows, and they'd accept it.

However, they no longer seem to like that, and if you try it they will deny the form and send it back instructing you to just use additional forms.  They even added the instruction on the current form: (Complete new forms for additional firearms).
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, doesn't work anymore that I've seen. I just fill out multiples. Its not hard, especially now with emailing them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:14:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#3]
Last time I tried an attachment via email it was disapproved. I usually just save a partially completed .20 and just have to enter the firearm info. You can do it all digitally, just make sure your e-signature is wet ink style.

It still sucks, but at least it can be done electronically.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
Nope, doesn't work anymore that I've seen. I just fill out multiples. Its not hard, especially now with emailing them.
View Quote

That gets old when you have 30-40 items going to 3 states
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#5]
The forms are usually downloadable PDFs, right?  You should be able to type them to save time. Hit print, change line item, print, repeat. You can fill forms with pdf reader if they aren't completely locked up.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:53:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#6]
Originally Posted By aksahsalahs:

That gets old when you have 30-40 items going to 3 states
View Quote

You know cans and AOWs are exempt right?

I'm doubting you have 30-40 MGs SBRs and SBSs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:55:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aksahsalahs] [#7]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yup

I'm doubting you have 30-40 MGs SBRs and SBSs.

Currently have 55 that need a 5320.20
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By aksahsalahs:

Yup

Currently have 55 that need a 5320.20
View Quote

Well then in that case I say chock it up as a first world problem and enjoy your fruitful life. No sympathy from me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#9]
People still do a .20? I thought over the past couple years it's turned into a anything goes situation with the ATF.

Oh wait.... the anything goes thing is just for the ATF to get away with. Not us peons. That's right.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:09:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, it is possible. I had an attached spreadsheet approved as recently as last fall. But it depends on the examiner. I had another disapproved in early 2023 specifically because it was spreadsheet. I called and explained and they approved it. All were done via email with pictures of the spreadsheet.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:07:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I have actually had the opposite problem where the NFA branch complains when I have sent them 5320.20 in bulk and I put "1" firearm per form vs. the "3" maximum.

They have come back to me and said..."you know you can put three firearms per form"?  I tell them yeah, I know.  But you are fucking assholes and if there is anything you don't like about any one esoteric firearm attribute (actualllyyy....our registration shows the caliber was 5.56 vs. NA, etc.) on any individual 5320.20 submission  you deny that application and now all three firearms on that specific form are denied vs. just the one you didn't like.

So yeah, now you get one firearm per 5320.20 so I can minimize the denial risk and you screwing up my travel plans.. So when I go to a big shoot out of State...enjoy your 50+ individual 5320.20 submissions.

The fact that there isn't a more efficient process for bulk submissions much less an eform submission option where I can submit and get an approval in less than a day is just government work at its finest.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:39:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I had one approved in January with the list on a separate sheet of paper.  I had originally sent it in with the list on the back of the form (like I have been doing for over ten years) and they rejected it, telling me they wanted it on the separate sheet.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I cannot fathom asking permission to transport my item that I've already gone through the NFA process to possess.

I will continue to ignore the 5320.20 bs and continue to travel the country with cans and sbrs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
People used to do that, or even make themselves an edited version of the form with more rows, and they'd accept it.

However, they no longer seem to like that, and if you try it they will deny the form and send it back instructing you to just use additional forms.  They even added the instruction on the current form: (Complete new forms for additional firearms).
View Quote

This was my experience- what a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:57:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By jbntex:
I have actually had the opposite problem where the NFA branch complains when I have sent them 5320.20 in bulk and I put "1" firearm per form vs. the "3" maximum.

They have come back to me and said..."you know you can put three firearms per form"?  I tell them yeah, I know.  But you are fucking assholes and if there is anything you don't like about any one esoteric firearm attribute (actualllyyy....our registration shows the caliber was 5.56 vs. NA, etc.) on any individual 5320.20 submission  you deny that application and now all three firearms on that specific form are denied vs. just the one you didn't like.

So yeah, now you get one firearm per 5320.20 so I can minimize the denial risk and you screwing up my travel plans.. So when I go to a big shoot out of State...enjoy your 50+ individual 5320.20 submissions.

The fact that there isn't a more efficient process for bulk submissions much less an eform submission option where I can submit and get an approval in less than a day is just government work at its finest.
View Quote
This is the exact answer I was looking for I will follow your lead
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top