Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2024 4:25:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms]
I want to get a rifle that I can take through Canada on a drive up to Alaska and back.  

I was thinking the Marlin 1895 Trapper 45-70 would be the best all around rifle for self-defense or whatever may come up.  Will probably bring a 22 lever as well.

I'll be up in Alaska for around 3 months, exploring pretty much anywhere you can drive to next summer, including hiking of course.

May put a 1-4x scope and silencer on it, or just leave it with iron sights, not sure.  Maybe a 3x prism?

What say you?  I don't own a single hunting rifle, just ARs, AKs and 22s.

Thanks

This one specifically:

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/model_1895trapper/

I want to bring my Glock 20 as well, but not sure I can bring that through Canada, may have to mail it or do something else.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:29:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#1]
Do it!  It will be heavy enough as is, Maybe a ghost ring peep (larger ID)
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Some people like peep sights.  The 45/70 is a great caliber with proper ammo.  Look at garret.  Underwood.  Buffalo bore.  If you reload you are capable of many different loads.  From mild to wild.  It’s up to you.   Great rifle maybe a scabbard in the future.  Get a sling and enjoy manhood.   Someone will probably show the 45/70 meme.  Happy shooting.  Picture would be nice from your adventure.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:41:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#3]
Make sure it’s good to go with Canada laws. Suppressor is no go obviously.

ETA
They have different OAL laws. I think that the Trapper falls into the Restricted category so it takes a bit more paperwork to cross with. Definitely reach out to Canada and make sure you’re squared away before you hit the border.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

ETA
They have different OAL laws. I think that the Trapper falls into the Restricted category so it takes a bit more paperwork to cross with. Definitely reach out to Canada and make sure you’re squared away before you hit the border.
View Quote

Ugh, Canada is the worst
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By StromBusa:
View Quote

If that skinner sight is like other ones I've used, you can unscrew the inner part to open it up.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Switchback_Arms:

If that skinner sight is like other ones I've used, you can unscrew the inner part to open it up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StromBusa:

Nice!
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you ship it to an ffl in your first US stop that way you don’t have to fool with Canadian laws?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:32:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GlockPride:
Can you ship it to an ffl in your first US stop that way you don’t have to fool with Canadian laws?
View Quote

Yeah that'd probably be the best option for a handgun at least.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GlockPride:

This is what I'd do to avoid any issues with canada
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

ETA
View Quote

If it's too short then just get the SBL. The Trapper is handy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#12]
If I read it correctly it’s not banned just restricted so an extra form and fee. It wouldn’t stop me from buying it for that purpose because the rest of its life it will be in the USA.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#13]
45-70 is always the right answer.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Any chance of taking a ferry from Washington?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Any chance of taking a ferry from Washington?
View Quote

Nope, doesn't work for our dates.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

You won’t be able to pick up your handgun from an FFL in AK unless you’re a resident of AK.

I’d personally ship it to myself. Pay for a mailbox at a pack and ship store, mail it to yourself.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:22:10 AM EDT
[#17]
fyi, Skinner makes a light mount that attaches to the mag tube.

If you're looking for something for personal defense as well as a camp gun you might consider something in .44 or .45. It might be marginal for bears but they have a higher capacity for people issues.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:03:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By brachiosaur:
fyi, Skinner makes a light mount that attaches to the mag tube.

If you're looking for something for personal defense as well as a camp gun you might consider something in .44 or .45. It might be marginal for bears but they have a higher capacity for people issues.
View Quote

A 325 at 2100fps should be just dandy
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#19]
consider a 12ga shotgun also

extremely versatile.  way less expensive.  slugs inside of 50 yards are accurate and pack a helluva load.

but if you are just looking for a reason to get a 45-70 -- go for it  

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I vote "buy that gun".
I've shot 45-70's since a wee lad, Dad would load them light for the trapdoor, he'd also load them big for the Ruger No. 1.

But, in practical use today, .44 mag out of a 18" barrel is almost always my choice. Mainly due to 10 round capacity, lighter handier gun, smaller lighter ammo, compatability with my revolver.

But you outta get that 45-70 first
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#21]
That's what I use here. As long as you don't go to Anchorage too much, you won't have any "people" problems unless you're a dipshit and create them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top