Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2023 1:00:40 PM EDT
I have an M4-2k from back in the day that I want to convert to a different mounting system.  Is there a legal way for me to do this?

I know Ecco is an option, but I would rather tinker with my own idea.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say keep your mouth shut and just do it. But, you had to ask on a public forum infested with glowies. So no you can't.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wingsnthings:
I'd say keep your mouth shut and just do it. But, you had to ask on a public forum infested with glowies. So no you can't.
View Quote
You're right.  I'll send it in.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:29:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AT-ST83] [#3]
Ecco Machine knows what they are doing...why risk destroying a good suppressor by "tinkering" with it?  Let the experts do it.

They converted an AAC 762SD for me a while back...they do amazing work.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:
Ecco Machine knows what they are doing...why risk destroying a good suppressor by "tinkering" with it?  Let the experts do it.

They converted an AAC 762SD for me a while back...they do amazing work.
View Quote
Because Im a mechanical engineer that owns machine shop, I wanna do it myself and I have a deeply held belief that I should be able to work on everything I own.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#5]
What's the crime you commit by working on your own can? It's always confused me because as far as I know that prohibition doesn't exist for any other class of firearm once you own it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
What's the crime you commit by working on your own can? It's always confused me because as far as I know that prohibition doesn't exist for any other class of firearm once you own it.
View Quote
I think it stems from the stance that any suppressor part constitutes a suppressor, which is epically stupid.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#7]
How pray tell can one buy different end caps, quick detach adapters muzzle devices etc with no government intervention. Hell you don't even have to own a suppressor.

You are overthinking this.

None of this crap is regulated.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:17:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ECCO_Machine] [#8]
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you can’t retread your own tube for a different adapter?
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ECCO_Machine:

You can, as long as you're able to get the job done without making new parts.
View Quote
I feel like as long as you don't change the registered serial# or the actual tube the serial number is on, just changing the threading or innards you could get by with. But I have not seen any factual documentation either way.

Plus, if you STFU about doing this, do it and stay outta trouble, no ones going to come sniff your tube for changes....
Not advocating you break any laws, we don't do that here, just saying.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#12]
The problem with "Don't ask, don't tell" when dealing with this kind of thing is that on the very slim chance that you come under scrutiny for anything that may even tangentially involve the ATF is that if the ATF finds you did something against their rules and they believe that you knew it was against the rules and made efforts to conceal what you did they might decide to consider that some level of conspiracy or some other felonious activity  

I'm not saying don't do it yourself, but in general I believe "if you don't tell anyone, what's the harm?" is terrible advise when dealing with the .gov in general and the ATF specifically

Obligatory JMHO and YMMV  
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By VinnieBoomBahReborn:
The problem with "Don't ask, don't tell" when dealing with this kind of thing is that on the very slim chance that you come under scrutiny for anything that may even tangentially involve the ATF is that if the ATF finds you did something against their rules and they believe that you knew it was against the rules and made efforts to conceal what you did they might decide to consider that some level of conspiracy or some other felonious activity  

I'm not saying don't do it yourself, but in general I believe "if you don't tell anyone, what's the harm?" is terrible advise when dealing with the .gov in general and the ATF specifically

Obligatory JMHO and YMMV  
View Quote
Well,  most of the time you get blasted for asking questions on here about Gun laws and ATF/NFA stances.  Many folks on here think because they don't like a law or they deem it unconstitutional they can ignore it, then no matter what you think you read and the ATF SAID, they can interpret it however they want or many times change it at will (Bump stocks)...  So there is that...

Its funny (or ironic) how we are supposed to follow all laws to a T, but the left can pick choose and rewrite to fit their narratives and agendas....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top