Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2023 1:17:30 PM EDT
New to 40mm and haven't been able to find any information online about this.

Could you legally 3D print a nose cone for a 40mm that would accept a glued in 50bmg spotter tracer round for use in an M203 so that there is a pop/flash upon impact? Would there even be enough velocity from a 40mm to detonate?
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Legally, yes.

Would it work? Probably not. Likely too little velocity.

Even the 14.5mm artillery sims that we use, tend to add too much weight to the pusher and slow the velocity too much. That's why we 3d print the whole projectile and then add the 14.5 projectile. Some have also machined lightweight aluminum pushers to hold the 14.5 projectiles.

The 50bmg spotter projos are designed to go a lot faster than 250-300fps. Not as fast as 50bmg (since they are 50-spotter) but still multiple times faster than an m203 round.

Maybe I'll pick some up and try it. But I wouldn't expect it to work well, maybe if your shooting at boulders or big steel plates
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:
Legally, yes.

Would it work? Probably not. Likely too little velocity.

Even the 14.5mm artillery sims that we use, tend to add too much weight to the pusher and slow the velocity too much. That's why we 3d print the whole projectile and then add the 14.5 projectile. Some have also machined lightweight aluminum pushers to hold the 14.5 projectiles.

The 50bmg spotter projos are designed to go a lot faster than 250-300fps. Not as fast as 50bmg (since they are 50-spotter) but still multiple times faster than an m203 round.

Maybe I'll pick some up and try it. But I wouldn't expect it to work well, maybe if your shooting at boulders or big steel plates
View Quote

Thats pretty much on par with my thoughts. Was going to look at 3D printing the entire projectile with a hole for the 50cal projectile to insert. I've got a guy locally that is selling a bag relatively cheap. Thought about picking them up for science. Worst case scenario is they don't work and I give them to a buddy with a .50bmg.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag.

I load BMG, and thought about picking up some spares to try in 40mm. But as mentioned, the velocity is significantly lower. I'm guessing a nose on hit with a solid target might work, but anything shy of that probably won't work.

Maybe I'll do some testing as well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 3:23:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ben] [#4]
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Ben:

You'd be better off printing a nose cone that accepts .22oz of black powder and a 209 shotgun primer to initiate on impact. Setback safety fuzes are actually really, really easy to make, which will more or less completely prevent the possibility of a detonation before the projectile leaves the barrel.
View Quote

Google isn't turning anything up... I'm guessing this is a design in which the nose cone would need to impact and cave in enough to have a pin hit the primer?
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Ben:

You'd be better off printing a nose cone that accepts .22oz of black powder and a 209 shotgun primer to initiate on impact. Setback safety fuzes are actually really, really easy to make, which will more or less completely prevent the possibility of a detonation before the projectile leaves the barrel.
View Quote

Been looking for a STL file for a setback safety fuze design.  Anyone have one?
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Im currently working on one. Im narrowing down issues, but its the rainy season in the PNW so the days I can get out to test are limited. Tomorrow I have four varients Im going to send.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top