Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2023 2:46:19 PM EDT
Let me preface this by saying I don’t have a ton of experience using PCP rifles. This is my first.

I have a Gen 2 Diana Stormrider PCP with an Air Venturi G9 hand pump. Hand pump seems to be assembled correctly that I can tell, it’s moving air with each stroke. Each stroke is smooth, it has good lubrication.

The air rifle doesn’t seem to be accepting any pressure. When connected, it takes two or three strokes to prime the pump, then it becomes increasingly difficult to use. With each subsequent stroke, the pressure gauge on the pump jumps about 500 psi at a time. Once it hits the red, the upstroke on the pump is relatively easy, the downstroke is next to impossible to complete. Opening the relief valve on the pump releases quite a bit of air as expected.

The pressure gauge on the rifle is pointing to perhaps 2 bar and hasn’t really moved.

Not sure if I need to tune something in the pump or replace any seals.

Anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you not try the pump on another pcp to see if its the pump or the pcp.
I would use a dive bottle myself to fill the pcp, no moisture inside a dive bottle.
Atb
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 6:51:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thirsty] [#3]
Air is expelled easily with both the up and down strokes of the pump using the Diana fill probe, but not installed in the rifle.

It comes up to pressure easily when installed in the rifle fill port, but once it’s up to pressure it becomes really difficult to pump after only three strokes.

I don’t think the issue is with the pump, I think something might be wrong with the rifle, or I’m doing something wrong. The manual doesn’t really cover what I’m experiencing.

I have to dig out my borescope to see if I can spot an obstruction in the fill port of the rifle.

ETA: the Diana is my only PCP at the moment.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you tried shooting the pressure down a bit more to see if the gun accepts more air pressure? If it doesn’t it’s likely that you have an obstruction. But if it fills to this point every time your gauge on the gun may be defective.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
Have you tried shooting the pressure down a bit more to see if the gun accepts more air pressure? If it doesn’t it’s likely that you have an obstruction. But if it fills to this point every time your gauge on the gun may be defective.
View Quote

That’s just it, this is my first attempt at filling the rifle’s reservoir. I put in a request for a call from Pyramyd. We’ll see if we can troubleshoot.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#6]
A lot of new pcp guns need to be cocked to take air for the first time.  I've had two, an Akela and a Reign.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 11:37:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thirsty] [#7]
Did some troubleshooting with Pyramyd Air and they believe the rifle’s fill valve is stuck or defective. The rep on the phone said the gauge on the pump really shouldn’t go past 1,000 psi and I was pushing 4,000 psi before it became too difficult to use the pump.

I received an RMA and I’m shipping it back to them for replacement.

My resident chipmunk just got a short reprieve. I hope I can smoke that little fucker before he chews any wires in my house or something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top