Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/29/2024 6:49:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck]
I got a wild hair to send a tikka T3 3006 off to be rebored to 35 Whelen  1 because I love tikka rifles 2 then it could serve duel purposes as my Iowa legal deer rifle and my elk hunting rifle.

Anyone done this far as having a rifle rebored instead of re barreled?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been contemplating the same thing, but that $300 price tag for the rebore, makes for an
expensive 35 Whelen.

I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap 3006 to use, but at the same time, I keep hoping i'll find one
of the old Ruger 77's in 35 W.

I've also been considering the 375 Whelen rebore. The 300 dollar price tag might not be so bad,
to get a 375. Not sure about the availability of dies, though.
Also, seems to be some disagreement over the 375's shoulder for headspacing.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I always think about getting an old 30-06 and getting it rebored to 9.3x62.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:12:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dan-in-Paulden:
I've been contemplating the same thing, but that $300 price tag for the rebore, makes for an
expensive 35 Whelen.

I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap 3006 to use, but at the same time, I keep hoping i'll find one
of the old Ruger 77's in 35 W.

I've also been considering the 375 Whelen rebore. The 300 dollar price tag might not be so bad,
to get a 375. Not sure about the availability of dies, though.
Also, seems to be some disagreement over the 375's shoulder for headspacing.
View Quote

With what any factory rem or ruger 35 whelen goes for 300 seems more then reasonable I can easily find a donor 3006 even if I don't want to go that route with my tikka
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:00:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mustb123] [#4]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mustb123:
I sent them a .270 caliber Winchester 70 and they rebored it to 35 Whelen. I like it.

A fellow shooter accidentally bought 2 boxes of bullets for a 35 caliber and knew I reloaded, so he gave them to me. Of course, I went right out and bought a rifle and got started on the 35 Whelen path…….it seemed like a good idea to me.

As far as a Tikka goes. I know they gave me a short list of rifles that they recommend converting. Tikka wasn’t one of them. Call them up first and see if they will do it.
View Quote

I did call them sounded like it would work for a tikka lite long as the muzzle dimensions was so and so (can't remember)  but I'll definitely talk to them again also thought of sending one to pacnor but that would be more then double the price but still an option.

I definitely want a tikka action over a remington
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I'd rather pay $420 for a new Tikka prefit than $300 to rebore the factory barrel.  That gives you the option to switch back, or you could sell the factory barrel, but I can't imagine a factory barrel would sell for much.

https://preferredbarrelblanks.com/product/tikka-t3-t3x-pre-fit-barrel/
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:44:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#7]
Originally Posted By WI-2021:
I think I'd rather pay $420 for a new Tikka prefit than $300 to rebore the factory barrel.  That gives you the option to switch back, or you could sell the factory barrel, but I can't imagine a factory barrel would sell for much.

View Quote

Still would have to pay a smith to rebarrel or send my action in and used barrels go for around 60
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:01:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I had JES rebore my Tikka 30-06 to 338-06.  The thing came out perfect, shoots great, send it in with confidence.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By turbobrick:
I had JES rebore my Tikka 30-06 to 338-06.  The thing came out perfect, shoots great, send it in with confidence.
View Quote

I'd love a 338/06 wanted one for years but now that 35 cal and up is Iowa deer legal it's going to have to be a 35 whelen
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Iowaredneck:

Still would have to pay a smith to rebarrel or send my action in and used barrels go for around 60
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That is true.  If you have a local gunsmith it should be pretty cheap to have him swap the barrel and check headspace though.  I'm fortunate enough to have one just down the road, which skews my perspective on the matter.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#11]
great people with Jess and Whyat.  

get the 3 groove 1:12 and you'll be very happy

had many done for 358 win , 35 whelen, 358 norma, 358 wsm, and 35 WSSM

they all shoot lights out
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:56:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#12]

That is true.  If you have a local gunsmith it should be pretty cheap to have him swap the barrel and check headspace though.  I'm fortunate enough to have one just down the road, which skews my perspective on the matter.
View Quote

It'd be about a 2 hour drive for me to a capable smith I see the place you recommend does it for 125 but by then I'm about up to a pacnor installed
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I had JES turn a Marlin 336 into a .38-55.  Great shooter and surprisingly accurate.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#14]

I'd love a 338/06 wanted one for years but now that 35 cal and up is Iowa deer legal it's going to have to be a 35 whelen
View Quote
I've wanted a Whelen for a long time, I even have some brass squirreled away.  If JES will do 35 on the Tikka I'd absolutely go that way versus re-barreling.  I have never seen anyone who has has his re-bore anything have negative results.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:54:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LG45] [#15]
JES rebored my 1895 Browning form 06 to 35 Welen, Did a nice job. Use it and my 444 Marlin for bear.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:12:19 AM EDT
[#16]

It'd be about a 2 hour drive for me to a capable smith I see the place you recommend does it for 125 but by then I'm about up to a pacnor installed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The two hour drive definitely complicates matters.  I wouldn't pay $125 plus shipping to get a prefit installed either.  At that point you could just about buy the barrel vise, action wrench, and headspace gauges and do it yourself, or go with Pacnor, as you mentioned.  The only reason I haven't bought the tools is that my LGS is so close, and a hell of a lot cheaper than $125 to spin a prefit on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top